Ford Transit USA Forum banner

2020 Transit Adding Cruise Control using a factory wheel with cruise control

9826 Views 59 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  jenwithacar
First and foremost l would like to thank
dinocarsfast
for all the help getting my cruise to work in my Van.

To get cruise to work in my van that already had steering wheel controls for my dash info screen and for my bluetooth and radio controls I simply replaced the steering wheel with a used one from ebay from a wrecked van that had the additional cruise control buttons on it. The clock spring didn't need changed on my vehicle as the wiring harness had all the correct connectors/pinouts. Next was the tricky part. I brought my van to the local dealer. That was a waste of several hours worth of diagnostics charges because they couldn't help me. I give the tech credit because he tried but his software wouldn't allow him to change it. I knew upfront that I was getting billed for the hours with or without success. Lesson learned. I went online and bought the forscan tool from ebay. Mine is the forscan pro model. I downloaded the software and installed it and followed the directions from forscan.org to get the liscense key. Next I changed the setting in the bcm (not the as built module) for with cruise control.

That still didn't fix my issues. I had a couple of DTC codes that my steering wheel buttons didn't work.

Next I was advised by dinocarsfast to go to the sccm and change my hexadecimal codes as follows. After I did this my DTC went away and my cruise and info screen in my dash started working. It is address 724-02-01. the original numbers were B028 B000 00B6. The new numbers are B008 7000 0056. I changed those and it now works like a factory cruise optioned van.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad to find this thread, I'm going throught this exact process right now. I found the buttons new with the following part numbers:
SW8579
SW8576
I got mine from WheelerFleet.com but it look almost a month. They didn't cost much tho.
Guitar accessory Sports equipment Wood Sunglasses Musical instrument accessory

ready to rock

The buttons swapped in perfectly, the trouble was with forscan. Only a few of the modules had the easy mode, almost all show AS-BUILT and it seems very difficult to find updated spreadsheets. I sure hope your code works, will try it tomorrow.
(currently i have toggled the available cruise control and adjustable speed limiter settings but the buttons are dead, they won't even work the radio or menus because not updated)

· Registered
11 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Suggested change SCCM 724-02-01 to B008 7000 0056 Fixed the right-hand buttons, I can now navigate the menu and the audio skip buttons work.

The left hand buttons are still inoperable for me though, CC and volume controls. I also get DTC about it.
Code: B137F - Steering Wheel Left Switch Pack
If I clear the error it will return.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Has anyone been able to find an updated spreadsheet for this van?

· Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2021 ford transit ans I'm adding factory cruse control I have activated the cruse control and changed the hexadecimal the right controls on the steering are working fine but the left controls with the cruse control doesn't can you please let me know of anything else I can do to get it to work
Same probs as this guy it appears.
There must be some difference in config. Do you guys have SYNC? I made sure to get that so I have a map up without extra GPS clutter.

· Registered
847 Posts
@automcd did the new switch pack come with the wiring connectors or did you just plug in the switch to the existing connector in the steering wheel? If you just plugged in the switch to the existing connector did you check in the schematics that all of the wires are the same from the switch to the steering angle sensor?
This is just a guess but a quick look at ebay pictures of steering wheels they look like they have more wires than the picture of a wheel on the first page of this thread.

· Registered
Transit-addict-in-the-making
119 Posts
That was my thought too. The wiring harnesses from the switch assemblies might be different on a non-CC versus a CC equipped.
Looking at
(disclaimer: this is for a 2022 Maverick, but that steering wheel looks very similar), it does not appear that the switches would come with their own harnesses.

· Registered
119 Posts
Same probs as this guy it appears.
There must be some difference in config. Do you guys have SYNC? I made sure to get that so I have a map up without extra GPS clutter.
I wonder if
is of any help to you. Specifically, at time code 8:39 (or thereabout), the video shows verifying which switches are detected by the SCCM module. It feels like it may help you work on troubleshooting the issue, or just give you more datapoints to narrow down what went pear-shaped.

· Registered
119 Posts
I'm glad to find this thread, I'm going throught this exact process right now. I found the buttons new with the following part numbers:
SW8579
SW8576
I got mine from WheelerFleet.com but it look almost a month. They didn't cost much tho.
Just ordered mine from RockAuto. Let's see how long S&H will take from them. :)

· Registered
11 Posts
Looking at
(disclaimer: this is for a 2022 Maverick, but that steering wheel looks very similar), it does not appear that the switches would come with their own harnesses.
Yes my button replacement procedure was IDENTICAL. It looks like they updated the airbag and horn connectors but aside from that no difference at all. That wheel would go straight onto a 2020 transit.

I do not have schematics to compare.

I wonder if
is of any help to you. Specifically, at time code 8:39 (or thereabout), the video shows verifying which switches are detected by the SCCM module. It feels like it may help you work on troubleshooting the issue, or just give you more datapoints to narrow down what went pear-shaped.
I do not have SCCM module for the non as-is style data. No easy mode for me. :(
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

It seems hardly any of these "unlocked" as I see in videos for F150 and such.

Also his codes are wildly different, and the 2nd module he mentions I don't even have listed.

REALLY need a legit spreadsheet for this model.

· Registered
847 Posts
I would download the forscan version 2.3.33 forscan past versions download page and see if you are able to view and edit the central configuration data like the original post did(v2.3.33 is what was used then, you can see the version on the screenshot). If you havent edited the central configuration code yet then that will be necessary. What is your vin so I can check out your original .ab file from the ford website. You can send it to me in a PM if you dont want to post it here.

· Registered
119 Posts
Yes my button replacement procedure was IDENTICAL. It looks like they updated the airbag and horn connectors but aside from that no difference at all. That wheel would go straight onto a 2020 transit.

I do not have schematics to compare.

View attachment 180664
It seems hardly any of these "unlocked" as I see in videos for F150 and such.

Also his codes are wildly different, and the 2nd module he mentions I don't even have listed.

REALLY need a legit spreadsheet for this model.
Got a shipment notification from RockAuto, so I suspect I'll be following your footsteps in no too distant future.
It won't be exactly the same - mine is a 2022, so... non-trivial difference.

· Registered
11 Posts
I would download the forscan version 2.3.33 forscan past versions download page and see if you are able to view and edit the central configuration data like the original post did(v2.3.33 is what was used then, you can see the version on the screenshot). If you havent edited the central configuration code yet then that will be necessary. What is your vin so I can check out your original .ab file from the ford website. You can send it to me in a PM if you dont want to post it here.
That first screenshot looks like it's for a 2018 model, his later screens show 2020 model and a later version of forscan. Additionally none of the screens show any options that I don't already have.. they are using the as-built data entry for setting the buttons. I was able to set the cruise control from none to standard. I tried adaptive but the front collision alert light went off, I think it didn't like that. I assume there is hardware I don't have for adaptive.

VIN i am unsure what anyone can do with but it's a fleet vehicle so idgaf if it get doxxed.
1FTBR2YG3LKA25771

· Registered
119 Posts
That first screenshot looks like it's for a 2018 model, his later screens show 2020 model and a later version of forscan. Additionally none of the screens show any options that I don't already have.. they are using the as-built data entry for setting the buttons. I was able to set the cruise control from none to standard. I tried adaptive but the front collision alert light went off, I think it didn't like that. I assume there is hardware I don't have for adaptive.
Does suck that it doesn't work for you. Once I have my switches arrive (USPS says that one will be here today - October 20th, and another - on the 26th), I look forward to giving this a go, see in what way(s), if any, a 2022 with Sync4 is different.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting. One of the greatest disappointments to me after dropping 70K CDN on a 2022 ford transit was when I took it on the highway and couldn't find cruise control and found it it was an option that was somehow not mentioned when I went down a list of 'a million' options with the sale guy. I'm still in the heart of an rv conversion, but I'll definitely be doing this upgrade. Did you price getting it done by Ford dealer? I'm curious how much they would gouge a fella for doing such a seemingly small thing...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts