Ford Transit USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered an 18 ecosport screen on Ebay but now I'm realizing that I think my Transit does NOT come with Sync pre-installed and I'm super frustrated. Is this always behind the glove box?

When I plug in my phone it says "iPhone connected" and I have fordpass connect and the wifi options and stuff in the vehicle, but I don't see anything mentioned in Settings -> General nor do I see anything behind the glove box. Also, based on what I'm reading at this URL
it sounds like there's a basic "Sync" version that enables Voice commands and stuff on your phone. This makes me think that i DO have sync because my steering wheel comes with the voice command button and because my phone seems to "Sync" to the radio when I connect to it... so I'm a little confused why it doesn't show up in the settings or why I can't see a module behind the glove box.

Does this mean I'm screwed? Here's the glove box.
View attachment 152422
If you don’t have an apim you don’t have sync 3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the reasons I have not yet pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radio for my van is I have been unable to find a place to order the Metra install kit (107-FD1B). Everyplace I've looked that even shows them says the are out of stock or on back order. The other reason is I have not found a radio that I want, will do everything I want, and I know it will fit's the kit and look good. Plus, the main thing I hate about the 4" screen is the backup camera view on it is useless. I wonder if I will like it with a 6.8-7" screen or will I wish for something with a 8"+ screen. I'll be pulling a box trailer often. I am thinking a display setup with a 2nd camera input that I can connect to a camera on the rear of the trailer might be nice.

Still I had a company truck with Sync3 on it and liked it (plus I know it) so while I've been waiting I've been looking into what all is needed to install a OEM Sync 3 radio in a non sync van.. The answer is a bunch

You need:
an 8" Ford display.

a proper Sync module (APIM) with the proper programing.

a mounting bracket for the APIM.

The Audio Control Module (ACM) appears to have different inputs, You may need an ACM out of a truck that has sync (but I haven't fully researched this)

One of the wiring harnesses in the dash has a lot of differences (30+) between the Sync and Non-Sync vans. (in the wiring book it is shown as harness # 14C007) I think that if you could get that complete wiring harness out of a wrecked 2020+ Ford Transit then you could do the upgrade..

But you'll have to take the dashes on both the donor and your van completely apart to change the harness

I haven't found a part number for that harness online. And it does look like an adaptor harness could be made but it will be complex.
I agree with you. I callled 4dtech.com. They drew up some ideas on their end but nothing actually came together as far as the wiring harness. With that said does anyone want an apim with a 8” screen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to the invaluable info in this post i was able to swap out my 4" screen and non nav apim. Thanks to the OP and all other contributors. Here's the route i took. New 2020 transit cutaway. I found a 8" ford ecosport screen on ebay $180 ( seller abcautopartsinc ). I found a pre programmed nav apim on ebay $270 ( seller superworldfaster ) . This was as easy as pie. The apim came programmed to my vin and was plug and play. I have 100% functionality of everything right out of the box. This a awesome upgrade for so little .... Thanks again to the early adopters :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
tiredder - having seen the Metra 107 live and in person, do you think a double din unit will fit in that opening? Or is there a lot of 'stuff' behind the dash? I would be OK trimming the dash in places to make this fit. The screen that goes on this head is a 10".

I want to upgrade my 2020 radio and the unit I'm looking at is double din. The photo attache is a friends DDin head, held up in front. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this thread after trying to solve a FordPass problem on my 2020 F250 that came with the 4" screen. I was able to upgrade the 4" to 8" screen and this thread helped solve one problem where I lost FordPass for remote start, etc. The upgrade went fine, but I also found I could have saved some money by not buying a new APIM. The 4" screens on the truck come with an APIM that has Sync 3 on it, but the software is for the 4" screen so you will need to upgrade the software. I used the upgrade tool on Cyanlabs and it replaced the software just fine.

For the harness I used the 4dtech 4DT-HUBCABLE-01 to give me power to the USB port (which I had to replace the old USB port). No clue on the Transit wiring, but this harness isn't listed as working for the 250s, and it was fine.

Anyway, the fix to get FordPass working came from changing the TCU address at 754-18-01 from 0204 to 0304 and it all worked fine after that, so appreciate you all writing this up!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Using the information in this thread, I did the screen upgrade with no problem (2021 XLT - 4" with SYNC, no nav)
  • Bought a 2018 8" Ecosport screen on ebay.
  • Downloaded the Cyanlabs tool and had it format a usb drive for me.
  • 2 weeks later, screen came. Grabbed tools and headed out, changed the unit in about 10 minutes.
  • Turned it on, got the expected "screen in the top left corner" problem.
  • Took the key out, plugged in the drive, put the key into run and waited. And waited. After about 10 minutes, the led indicator on the usb drive stopped blinking. About 20 minutes later I gave up waiting and took out the key / put it back in.
  • It rebooted itself a couple times, and I did another key out/in cycle. Came up fully functional!
  • Tested FordPass the next day, still worked fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Using the information in this thread, I did the screen upgrade with no problem (2021 XLT - 4" with SYNC, no nav)
  • Bought a 2018 8" Ecosport screen on ebay.
  • Downloaded the Cyanlabs tool and had it format a usb drive for me.
  • 2 weeks later, screen came. Grabbed tools and headed out, changed the unit in about 10 minutes.
  • Turned it on, got the expected "screen in the top left corner" problem.
  • Took the key out, plugged in the drive, put the key into run and waited. And waited. After about 10 minutes, the led indicator on the usb drive stopped blinking. About 20 minutes later I gave up waiting and took out the key / put it back in.
  • It rebooted itself a couple times, and I did another key out/in cycle. Came up fully functional!
  • Tested FordPass the next day, still worked fine.
Thanks for sharing. I've read through this entire thread and am looking at doing this myself. Does it need to be a 2018 8" ecosport screen or is any recent year fine? Just to confirm, is this the correct Cyanlabs updater tool to use?

I've converted entire vans before but don't have too much experience with audio/head units. Do you recommend any specific video/youtube links you recommend that may help prepare?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello. No need to be 2018. It can be any year forward.
Thanks. I just found a local scrap yard with a totaled 2018 (and mint 8" screen) that I'll contact tomorrow. Can you advise about the cyanlabs tool or if I still need to purchase a pre programmed apim on ebay? Can anyone advise where to purchase one of these?

Did you have a non sync radio? Has anyone gotten anywhere with the non sync radio upgrade
Thankfully mine has a sync 3 radio. Sorry I haven't found anyone successfully upgrading the non sync radio yet

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
Did you have a non sync radio? Has anyone gotten anywhere with the non sync radio upgrade
I've not seen where anyone has done it. I looked into it and found there are a lot of issues that would have to be solved.. In addition to purchasing and 8" screen and matching APIM, The ACM (Audio Control Panel is different and there is no mounting bracket for the APIM.
And that would be the easy part. There are a lot of changes to the factory wiring that would be needed. If I understand what I am seeing in the wiring diagram it looks like the are at least 2 wiring harnesses that deal with the radio. It looks like to upgrade from non-Sync to Sync you would have to change out or extensively modify at least one of the dashboard wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2019 ford transit which came with a sync 3 touch screen system but it was a non-nav I bought a APIM MFD 2017 which was nav and swapped over the APIM. I flashed my original APIM as built file except I enabled nav and everything works except the surround buttons under the touch screen. The buttons on the steering wheel works but not the surround buttons. I even flashed with the following files but still it does not work.

1U5T-14G374-DA
1U5T-14G375-FA

I reset it multiple of times, updated it to 3.4 with f10 maps, flashed it with different firmware and still the surround buttons don't work and I really don't understand why. Any help is much appreciated.

thank you

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2019 ford transit
All of the discussions in this thread are for 2020+ which use a different radio, sync set up (afaik)

I don't know if the 2019 has the same ACM + APIM set up that the 2020 has but if so you might want to look at the parameters in the ACM.
They might need adjusting.

Look earlier in this thread. I believe i posted a link to F150 control module over views.
That's how i succeed l derived what needed to be changed for my ACM

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look at car-part.com you can get an 8” screen off an 2018 ford ecosport . That’s the screen I purchased anyways. You will not need the molding as the screen is a direct bolt up. My screen came with the molding attached from the ecosport at the bottom. I had to remove it and then it bolts directly into the ford transit. Keep in mind I purchased a gen4 NON NAV apim. If you want factory NAV you will have to get a gen4 NAV apim to have navigation. I didn’t need it as I use Apple car play with maps downloaded for google maps.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask me or the OP of this thread. We are 2 of the few people to have done this.
Hey! Pretty new to all this so I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly and hoping you'd be able to help me since you seem to be highly knowledge in this! I have a 2021 AWD Ford Transit w/ 4" screen. I'm looking to upgrade to the 8" screen (as everyone else is in this thread lol)

Things I'll need to get are...
1. Ecosport 8"screen
2. Gen 4 Sync APIM module w/ VIN programming

In an ideal world, if the Gen 4 sync APIM module is programmed for my VIN, it should essentially be plug n' play?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
Hey! Pretty new to all this so I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly and hoping you'd be able to help me since you seem to be highly knowledge in this! I have a 2021 AWD Ford Transit w/ 4" screen. I'm looking to upgrade to the 8" screen (as everyone else is in this thread lol)

1. Ecosport 8"screen

In an ideal world, if the Gen 4 sync APIM module is programmed for my VIN, it should essentially be plug n' play?

Thanks for the help!
You don't say if you have the Base 4" radio or the Sync with 4" radio. If you have the Sync with 4" radio then this upgrade should work. If you all you have the Base 4" radio then this upgrade would get a LOT more complicated.. So far I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully upgraded from the Base 4" radio to a Gen 4 Sync... I did a lot of research on it before installing an aftermarket radio instead.

·
Registered
2020 Transit MR Crew RWD 148" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost
2 Posts

1. Ecosport 8"screen

Thanks for the help!
Info in this thread will help determine if you have Sync or not. See post #11 & #13.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't say if you have the Base 4" radio or the Sync with 4" radio. If you have the Sync with 4" radio then this upgrade should work. If you all you have the Base 4" radio then this upgrade would get a LOT more complicated.. So far I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully upgraded from the Base 4" radio to a Gen 4 Sync... I did a lot of research on it before installing an aftermarket radio instead.
thanks for the help! just realized I have the base 4” screen without sync so this seems like it wouldn’t be possible or it’d be more work than I’m willing to do. What aftermarket radio did you go with?

121 - 140 of 145 Posts