Ford Transit USA Forum banner

121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered an 18 ecosport screen on Ebay but now I'm realizing that I think my Transit does NOT come with Sync pre-installed and I'm super frustrated. Is this always behind the glove box?

When I plug in my phone it says "iPhone connected" and I have fordpass connect and the wifi options and stuff in the vehicle, but I don't see anything mentioned in Settings -> General nor do I see anything behind the glove box. Also, based on what I'm reading at this URL
it sounds like there's a basic "Sync" version that enables Voice commands and stuff on your phone. This makes me think that i DO have sync because my steering wheel comes with the voice command button and because my phone seems to "Sync" to the radio when I connect to it... so I'm a little confused why it doesn't show up in the settings or why I can't see a module behind the glove box.

Does this mean I'm screwed? Here's the glove box.
View attachment 152422
If you don’t have an apim you don’t have sync 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the reasons I have not yet pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radio for my van is I have been unable to find a place to order the Metra install kit (107-FD1B). Everyplace I've looked that even shows them says the are out of stock or on back order. The other reason is I have not found a radio that I want, will do everything I want, and I know it will fit's the kit and look good. Plus, the main thing I hate about the 4" screen is the backup camera view on it is useless. I wonder if I will like it with a 6.8-7" screen or will I wish for something with a 8"+ screen. I'll be pulling a box trailer often. I am thinking a display setup with a 2nd camera input that I can connect to a camera on the rear of the trailer might be nice.

Still I had a company truck with Sync3 on it and liked it (plus I know it) so while I've been waiting I've been looking into what all is needed to install a OEM Sync 3 radio in a non sync van.. The answer is a bunch

You need:
an 8" Ford display.

a proper Sync module (APIM) with the proper programing.

a mounting bracket for the APIM.

The Audio Control Module (ACM) appears to have different inputs, You may need an ACM out of a truck that has sync (but I haven't fully researched this)

One of the wiring harnesses in the dash has a lot of differences (30+) between the Sync and Non-Sync vans. (in the wiring book it is shown as harness # 14C007) I think that if you could get that complete wiring harness out of a wrecked 2020+ Ford Transit then you could do the upgrade..

But you'll have to take the dashes on both the donor and your van completely apart to change the harness

I haven't found a part number for that harness online. And it does look like an adaptor harness could be made but it will be complex.
I agree with you. I callled 4dtech.com. They drew up some ideas on their end but nothing actually came together as far as the wiring harness. With that said does anyone want an apim with a 8” screen?

121 - 123 of 123 Posts