Ford Transit USA Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I can not see anywhere that states sync 3 on the window sticker. I will check with some local audio people. This tiny 4" screen is all but worthless. This is my first Ford product I have owned so I have zero knowledge of any of the Ford stuff. Had I known it was not something I could upgrade, I certainly would not have bought this van. The backup camera through this tiny little screen is like not having one at all in my opinion, and no rear glass (cargo) makes the camera pretty important.
search a bit more on the forum. You can definitely upgrade this via aftermarket and I believe other have gotten the rear view camera to work on a larger screen. Search for Carbar, TiJoe installed a 10.1" radio...
I am assuming other OEMs deploy similar strategies with low level radio options.
Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

·
Registered
2021 T350 Cargo SRW Tow Package
4 Posts
I can not see anywhere that states sync 3 on the window sticker. I will check with some local audio people. This tiny 4" screen is all but worthless. This is my first Ford product I have owned so I have zero knowledge of any of the Ford stuff. Had I known it was not something I could upgrade, I certainly would not have bought this van. The backup camera through this tiny little screen is like not having one at all in my opinion, and no rear glass (cargo) makes the camera pretty important.
Go to Settings> General> Scroll down and if you have Sync it will say “About Sync”> Select and it will tell you the version.

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
Go to Settings> General> Scroll down and if you have Sync it will say “About Sync”> Select and it will tell you the version.
I believe rtservicesolution meant the paper window sticker that comes on a new vehicle. Mine also didn't have any mention of the Sync or the radio itself on the window sticker. and it came with just the base radio without sync. I am pretty sure no refence on the sticker means the radio is the basic radio, 4" screen and 2 front speakers. It won't have an APIM installed so there will be no version of Sync on it.

·
Registered
2020 T250 Cargo 148" High Roof 4" non screen.
47 Posts
I for sure do not have sync. Popped glovebox out and the APIM is not there. I found a company on ebay that does sync 1 to sync 3 conversions for ranger anf F series, and claim it will work on the Transit as well. The only issue is it is a flat screen and I would have no way to mount it I do not believe.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
This company says this will convert my 2020 Transit Sync 1 to Sync 3. I sent my vin and have the entire conversation. The only issue they say is that the screen is for other ford models which mount differently. I am trying to figure out if their screen will go into the Metra kit.
I will admit for that amount of money i would go the aftermarket route.
You'd get a top of the line Alpine unit that's bigger more featured for much less.

I would assume you can get it even including install for less then $1500.

And probably still retain steering wheel controls and Ford Pass app functionality.

I chose the OEM route because I already had Sync3 and it was cheaper for me.

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
I am not sure that will work for you...it says Sync1 to Sync3 upgrade. I appears that you do not have Sync of any version (same as I).. But I could be wrong. It looks like the kit includes a wiring harness, they may have worked out a way to make the changes needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have discussed this in detail with the seller. They assure me it will convert our vans. I sent my Vin, photos of my current radio. They are working now to see if the system they build is compatible with the OEM 8" sync 3 screen. If it is, it very well could be the OEM upgrade option. It is just something I am exploring before I go aftermarket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have discussed this in detail with the seller. They assure me it will convert our vans. I sent my Vin, photos of my current radio. They are working now to see if the system they build is compatible with the OEM 8" sync 3 screen. If it is, it very well could be the OEM upgrade option. It is just something I am exploring before I go aftermarket.
This company (4dtech.com) I found online looks like they are capable of making a wiring harness. I am going to email them tomorrow with my info. I have the same issue you have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This company (4dtech.com) I found online looks like they are capable of making a wiring harness. I am going to email them tomorrow with my info. I have the same issue you have.
I spoke with the folks at Matra yesterday. They are working on a harness to make aftermarket radios work now. They have no definite timeline as of yet. A part of me really would spend the extra to have factory radio just for the looks of it basically. I have always been OEM type guy. The way our radios hand out there in no mans land, I just cant wrap my mind around seeing the metra kit adapter and a square aftermarket radio sticking out. The photo I have seen of people who have made it work, the radios just simply look out of place.

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
I spoke with the folks at Matra yesterday. They are working on a harness to make aftermarket radios work now. They have no definite timeline as of yet. A part of me really would spend the extra to have factory radio just for the looks of it basically. I have always been OEM type guy. The way our radios hand out there in no mans land, I just cant wrap my mind around seeing the metra kit adapter and a square aftermarket radio sticking out. The photo I have seen of people who have made it work, the radios just simply look out of place.
One of the reasons I have not yet pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radio for my van is I have been unable to find a place to order the Metra install kit (107-FD1B). Everyplace I've looked that even shows them says the are out of stock or on back order. The other reason is I have not found a radio that I want, will do everything I want, and I know it will fit's the kit and look good. Plus, the main thing I hate about the 4" screen is the backup camera view on it is useless. I wonder if I will like it with a 6.8-7" screen or will I wish for something with a 8"+ screen. I'll be pulling a box trailer often. I am thinking a display setup with a 2nd camera input that I can connect to a camera on the rear of the trailer might be nice.

Still I had a company truck with Sync3 on it and liked it (plus I know it) so while I've been waiting I've been looking into what all is needed to install a OEM Sync 3 radio in a non sync van.. The answer is a bunch

You need:
an 8" Ford display.

a proper Sync module (APIM) with the proper programing.

a mounting bracket for the APIM.

The Audio Control Module (ACM) appears to have different inputs, You may need an ACM out of a truck that has sync (but I haven't fully researched this)

One of the wiring harnesses in the dash has a lot of differences (30+) between the Sync and Non-Sync vans. (in the wiring book it is shown as harness # 14C007) I think that if you could get that complete wiring harness out of a wrecked 2020+ Ford Transit then you could do the upgrade..

But you'll have to take the dashes on both the donor and your van completely apart to change the harness

I haven't found a part number for that harness online. And it does look like an adaptor harness could be made but it will be complex.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One of the reasons I have not yet pulled the trigger on an aftermarket radio for my van is I have been unable to find a place to order the Metra install kit (107-FD1B). Everyplace I've looked that even shows them says the are out of stock or on back order.
The metra kit is readily available at just about any stereo installation place. Metra said they had hundreds in stock to supply whoever orders them. They show out of stock because no wire harness is available yet. The dash kit, antenna adapter, and steering wheel control harness is all available and they will give you the part numbers for them, but until an interface is designed, nobody will show having them because they are not "complete" kits. They gave me the phone # to a place right here in my town that is a metra installer that could get me one in a few days, I called them and they confirmed that. Just call Metra support, ask where to buy, and they will give you the name and phone # of an installer in your town to get it from.

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
The metra kit is readily available at just about any stereo installation place. Metra said they had hundreds in stock to supply whoever orders them. They show out of stock because no wire harness is available yet. The dash kit, antenna adapter, and steering wheel control harness is all available and they will give you the part numbers for them, but until an interface is designed, nobody will show having them because they are not "complete" kits. They gave me the phone # to a place right here in my town that is a metra installer that could get me one in a few days, I called them and they confirmed that. Just call Metra support, ask where to buy, and they will give you the name and phone # of an installer in your town to get it from.
Thanks for the info... I went by a "local" car audio shop (I live in a small town so it wasn't real local) and talked to them... They have no problem getting me the Metra dash install kit and any other adaptor kit I want to order.. They haven't done any Transit installs but were willing to help (he said " I like a good project"). They are an Alpine and Kenwood dealer.. The problem is getting the itself radio to install.. They said their prices would be probably be comparable to Crutchfield but, prices from the manufacturer are expected to be going up due to supply and demand. They had nothing that fits in stock. Since they are an Alpine dealer I asked about ordering an ilx-207 and was told that they could order one but would not be able to give me a any idea on the date that it would come in.. Might be a week, might be a month, might be 6 months..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will admit for that amount of money i would go the aftermarket route.
You'd get a top of the line Alpine unit that's bigger more featured for much less.

I would assume you can get it even including install for less then $1500.

And probably still retain steering wheel controls and Ford Pass app functionality.

I chose the OEM route because I already had Sync3 and it was cheaper for me.
Hey, do you know if the 8 inch oem radio would work if just swapped with my 4" with sync3?
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just ordered an 18 ecosport screen on Ebay but now I'm realizing that I think my Transit does NOT come with Sync pre-installed and I'm super frustrated. Is this always behind the glove box?

When I plug in my phone it says "iPhone connected" and I have fordpass connect and the wifi options and stuff in the vehicle, but I don't see anything mentioned in Settings -> General nor do I see anything behind the glove box. Also, based on what I'm reading at this URL
it sounds like there's a basic "Sync" version that enables Voice commands and stuff on your phone. This makes me think that i DO have sync because my steering wheel comes with the voice command button and because my phone seems to "Sync" to the radio when I connect to it... so I'm a little confused why it doesn't show up in the settings or why I can't see a module behind the glove box.

Does this mean I'm screwed? Here's the glove box.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another fun fact, the back up camera goes full screen, as does the ford logo at start up
View attachment 144970

I also just performed that APIM reset with power button + fast forward button with no results

Also did the APIM module reset in forscan with no luck.

Somebody that does APIM programming said I need new firmware which has to be done locally - I might have to engage a Ford dealership and see if they can do it.

I got into some APIM configuration but nothing looked like switching from 4" to 8" but I changed my splash screen ;-)
View attachment 144971
Hello there. At this point. The only thing needed its to download sync 3.4 from cynalab install it on your van no need to buy programed APIM fo a hard reset and off you go. That's assuming you had factory sync 3 APIM on you van with the 4" screen

101 - 120 of 145 Posts