Ford Transit USA Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
What are we looking at here? Is this behind your glove box? Because that does not look familiar to me.
I think that's it. You can see the cabin air filter and the instrument panel beam.
And yes, no APIM there

Has anyone figured out if there is a harness that we can use to make this work? Is there any other option. Thanks Matt
Unfortunately I'm not aware of anybody that had attempted a non-sync to sync conversion.
I would check the F150 forums. Probably your best bet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I saw if I don’t have sync3 you can’t upgrade to the larger screen. I learned today I do not have the sync3 apim. I already received my formatted apim and my used 8” screen. Has anyone figured out if there is a harness that we can use to make this work? Is there any other option. Thanks Matt
I'm in the same boat as Motomattnyc. Base Transit 2020 w/o sync. It looks like there are some wire harnesses for a F150 w/o sync but nothing for the Ford Transit. I wonder how similar the harnesses are?

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I stumbled across 4Dtech a few times in my search for a solution.
They're pretty expensive but seem to have it figured out - maybe they'll sell you just the F150 harnesses?
I would imagine there are similarities there if not identical.
Ford (as most OEMs) tries to standardize as much as possible.

Or watch 4Dtech install videos and documentation and see if it's an actual ford harness you can order or if it's something they custom made for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stumbled across 4Dtech a few times in my search for a solution.
They're pretty expensive but seem to have it figured out - maybe they'll sell you just the F150 harnesses?
I would imagine there are similarities there if not identical.
Ford (as most OEMs) tries to standardize as much as possible.

Or watch 4Dtech install videos and documentation and see if it's an actual ford harness you can order or if it's something they custom made for this.
It looks like they do sell just a harness (for the F150 w/o sync) for $249. Here is a picture of the connections

Not sure if everything matches up to the Transit. It seems like you have to flash the system with their CANopener dongle, but not sure if that would work with the Transit.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I would contact 4Dtech and explain your plan. Maybe if you'll offer yourself up as a guinea pig they'll cut you a deal or loan out equipment to flash and then they can add the transit to their offering?

Or do more research on the process on the F150 forums

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,
I read the thread and am wondering if you had the link for buying the plug-n-play VIN programmed upgrade from a 2020 Sync 3D, BLIS equipped 4” screen to the 8” with FordPass, Navigation, all the cameras, etc.
Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,
I read the thread and am wondering if you had the link for buying the plug-n-play VIN programmed upgrade from a 2020 Sync 3D, BLIS equipped 4” screen to the 8” with FordPass, Navigation, all the cameras, etc.
Thanks,
Drew
I purchased the apim and screen not aware that my transit didnt have sync so I couldnt upgrade. I will sell the pair for what I paid 500.00$

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the apim and screen not aware that my transit didnt have sync so I couldnt upgrade. I will sell the pair for what I paid 500.00$
Thanks for responding Theburgboy, I haven’t bought a Transit yet. If I do & it doesn’t have the 8” screen I may be interested. Would your’s have to be programmed to the VIN of a Transit I purchase?
Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for responding Theburgboy, I haven’t bought a Transit yet. If I do & it doesn’t have the 8” screen I may be interested. Would your’s have to be programmed to the VIN of a Transit I purchase?
Thanks,
Drew
not sure the one I purchased was supposed to programmed to vin but my van didnt have sync so it didnt have an apim. I think it may be plug and play but not for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Success! It was very easy and straight forward. Radio works, Apple Car Play works, the only issue now is when I login to the Ford Pass App it asks me to accept the terms and privacy policy and when I do. It says "Sorry, FordPass isn't responding. Please try again later" Anyone experience this?

View attachment 147163

Update: Its possible the Ford Pass issue is just a coincidence as I thought about trying to just reregister with a new email to see if the app was just getting hung up on the APIM swap. The app hangs up on register saying "Sorry, We are experiencing technical issues". Can someone verify their Ford Pass app is working?
Congratulations I just ordered everything to make the same upgrade. One question do both of your USB ports still work?

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Hi guys,
Thanks,
Drew
AFAIK there is no plug and play method until 4Dtech will offer one @ $1000-2000.
With the information in this thread you should be able to piece together the HW components you need. If you feel this is not enough information I recommend to wait or have someone help.

Thanks,
Drew
Also AFAIK - the VIN programming is merely setting all adjustable parameters of your APIM to match the options and control modules you have on your vehicle.
In my case I paid for the programming and then found that a) it wasn't 100% correct and b) I needed additional programming of the TCU and the ACM that I completed myself after tons of research.

There is some guidance in this thread to do your own programming with similar VIN vehicles and their respective as-built. --> That's what solved all the problems I had with this.

Most others on here had no problems though so I seem to be an outlier - may have to do with transit build date and what software was released by Ford at that time and then flash to the vehicles controllers. I think I have an early 2020.

Congratulations I just ordered everything to make the same upgrade. One question do both of your USB ports still work?
Only the USB on the Dashboard will work with Android Auto / Apple car play. The port by the cupholder will only charge your phone. (at least in my 2020)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems like my phone sees my truck, but the truck doesn't see the phone, if that makes any sense.
Were you able to fix your problems with the Ford Pass app? I’m starting my install next week and I’m getting ready to troubleshoot. Just in case things aren’t as plug and play as they seem to be. I would love to know how you solved this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally jumped in and decided to upgrade my 4” screen to the 8”. I followed all the directions in earlier posts. Got everything hooked and and almost every seems to work. Only one trouble. The audio source is stuck on AM. And I can’t get it to switch no matter what I try. Even with Apple Car Play. Stuck listening to AM radio. Also when I select the FordPass connectivity settings it is stuck on the please wait loading screen. Any help on what to do next would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Were you able to fix your problems with the Ford Pass app? I’m starting my install next week and I’m getting ready to troubleshoot. Just in case things aren’t as plug and play as they seem to be. I would love to know how you solved this problem. Thanks.
I had the exact same issues.
I adjusted some as-built lines in the ACM (radio module), see My post #21 from page 2.
That will fix the AM radio issues.

Then you have to set a few lines in the TCU, see Post 64 and 65.
I did have to cycle the ign and at first thought it didn't work, but then after a little while and ign cycles the settings popped up and i was able to connect the pass app

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m up and running thanks to tiredder.
After my install my audio source was stuck on AM radio and my Ford pass did not work.
I followed tiredder’s advice and I’m fully up and running.

Here are the changes I made in forscan for anyone who might find them selves in the same boat.

Audio source fix:
Change 2 lines in the ACM
727-1-1 from 982B 3CF1 0020
to 102B 00F1 0020

727-1-2 from 0101 00FF 0032
to 0901 00FF 0032

Ford Pass fix:
Change 1 line in the TCU
754-18-01 from 0204 7A
to 0304 7B

Reset FordPass

Done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2020 ford transit with base 4" screen and no sync. It seems like the upgrade that is working for people in this thread won't work for me?

From what I can tell, the fact that I don't have sync means I don't have an APIM?

The upgrade seems to be:
- Buy an 8in screen
- Buy a gen4 APIM

If I'm buying an APIM anyway, why does it matter if I don't have one now? No where to plug it in or something?

Update: I asked basically the same thing to 4D Tech and this is what they said:
"We have done some R&D on that kit but it is completely different from the 4" with SYNC so we are having to design a kit from scratch. There is no timeline but you may want to check back in 4-6 months. -Scott"

·
Registered
2020 T250 MR 148"WB
23 Posts
I have a 2020 ford transit with base 4" screen and no sync. It seems like the upgrade that is working for people in this thread won't work for me?

From what I can tell, the fact that I don't have sync means I don't have an APIM?

The upgrade seems to be:
- Buy an 8in screen
- Buy a gen4 APIM

If I'm buying an APIM anyway, why does it matter if I don't have one now? No where to plug it in or something?

Update: I asked basically the same thing to 4D Tech and this is what they said:
"We have done some R&D on that kit but it is completely different from the 4" with SYNC so we are having to design a kit from scratch. There is no timeline but you may want to check back in 4-6 months. -Scott"
I am in the same boat you are. I bought a 2020 Transit with a 4" screen and no Sync.... I went to far as to buy a 2020 Transit electrical wiring book to look into doing an upgrade like the one discussed in this thread however, I found that if Sync wasn't installed a factory installed option you not only have to deal with the issues already discussed there are a couple other problems. It is not just a missing APIM module. If your Transit didn't originally come with Sync installed, the mounting plate that the APIM bolts to was not installed. That isn't a big deal, The big problem is the dash wiring harnesses are different and there is no wiring for the APIM. Not only is there no plug for the APIM on the harness, a bunch of the wiring is different.

In the wiring book the harnesses that appear to be involved are called 14C007 and 14K024..

It looks like it might be possible that if you could get the proper wiring harness off of a wrecked 2020 Transit that had Sync you might me able to do it but you have to take the dash completely apart to do it..

That is about as far as I've gotten. I've been unable to find references to these two harnesses online. Possibly because the part numbers are incomplete (I think they should be something like ABCD-14C007-XYZ) or they just don't have the information online anywhere..

·
Registered
2020 T250 Cargo 148" High Roof 4" non screen.
47 Posts
Success! It was very easy and straight forward. Radio works, Apple Car Play works, the only issue now is when I login to the Ford Pass App it asks me to accept the terms and privacy policy and when I do. It says "Sorry, FordPass isn't responding. Please try again later" Anyone experience this?

View attachment 147163

Update: Its possible the Ford Pass issue is just a coincidence as I thought about trying to just reregister with a new email to see if the app was just getting hung up on the APIM swap. The app hangs up on register saying "Sorry, We are experiencing technical issues". Can someone verify their Ford Pass app is working?
What radio is everyone starting out with in their vans? I just bought a new 2020 with ford pass, 4" screen and steeering wheel controls. I am still trying to figure out what Sync 3 is and if mine even has that. I do not believe it does but not knowing exactly what sync 3 is I can not be sure. Will this upgrade work if mine is not sync 3?

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I will admit that if you don't have Sync3 to begin with i imagine it would be very difficult to retrofit.
(Check your window sticker, it states it on there if you have sync3)

I would go the aftermarket route. Take the display of (as described earlier in this thread) and unplug the display and/or the ACM (double DIN sized box a little deeper in the dash behind the screen) and see if you Ford Pass still works.

I'm assuming that when there is no APIM that all Ford Pass functionality runs through the telematics control unit (TCU).

If it still works, aftermarket should be easy.
There's also a few threads on aftermarket install here on the forum

·
Registered
2020 T250 Cargo 148" High Roof 4" non screen.
47 Posts
I can not see anywhere that states sync 3 on the window sticker. I will check with some local audio people. This tiny 4" screen is all but worthless. This is my first Ford product I have owned so I have zero knowledge of any of the Ford stuff. Had I known it was not something I could upgrade, I certainly would not have bought this van. The backup camera through this tiny little screen is like not having one at all in my opinion, and no rear glass (cargo) makes the camera pretty important.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts