Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel like there have been various threads about this lately with lots of ??? - I am not done yet as the title states but here is what I have so far.

I initially thought I needed to pull off the entire trim panel to get to the radio/screen which is what I did and I found the separate screen and the ACM (radio box thingy) behind buried in the dash = after market radio might be a challenge (fortunately metra kit available is imminent so there should be solution soon).
But the screen can be removed by just popping the little cover of and removing 3 screws (thank you @mduncan )

After further digging and researching I learned more about what the APIM is and that Syn3 stuff is happening in that module, not the ACM.
Then I found that there is a very low level radio config that has a 4" screen but does not have an APIM.
Next up is a low level radio with the 4"screen but it does have sync3 and an APIM (until now I never realized what the point of that would be) --> that's the config I have.
And then of course the 8" screen radios with Sync3 which appears to have that same APIM??

No 8" screens appear to be available anywhere - I guess not a lot of crashed transits available.
Further digging I found that the Ford Ecosport has a similar radio set up as the transits do --> I went a bit out on a limb and ordered a 8" screen from an Ecosport on ebay.

It finally arrived today and mounts perfectly into the exisiting trim.
I plugged it, the Ford logo came up (super excited at this point),

then it shows my previous 4" screen in the top left corner so I actually lol'ed.

Now for the next steps I am assuming that I can either re-configure the APIM, re-flash a different SW onto it, or have to buy a different APIM that can feed to the 8" screen but is programmed to my VIN.

I will keep digging and maybe get the local ford dealer involved if I cannot figure it out but if anybody has any input or knows Ford Techs - please share.
I'll add pictures here in a minute

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know the answer to the victron connect app but I will admit I doubt it as in past Fords there weren't many 3rd party apps available, not sure if that changed by now.

On my OP topic I did further research and I want to believe that if I change the parameters of the APIM in forscan to what the parameters of a 2020 with factory 8" radio has I am assuming that would reconfigure the APIM to enable full 8" screen function? - Am I crazy?

Can anyone with an 8" radio share their APIM config values?

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Another fun fact, the back up camera goes full screen, as does the ford logo at start up

I also just performed that APIM reset with power button + fast forward button with no results

Also did the APIM module reset in forscan with no luck.

Somebody that does APIM programming said I need new firmware which has to be done locally - I might have to engage a Ford dealership and see if they can do it.

I got into some APIM configuration but nothing looked like switching from 4" to 8" but I changed my splash screen ;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
When dealing with something on a first year model change vehicle, someone has to be first to firmly get something figured out so others can follow suit.
You may also luck up on an older ex-ford tech doing his own thing if you check around.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest update is that I found 2 people now that told me I need a software/firmware flash + configuration update.

There's folks on eBay that sell that.
I'll talk to my closest dealers today if they would do it.
Otherwise I'll pay one of the eBay guys.

One of them said he'll have to mail me a usb stick with the firmware on it for me to flash it.

I'll keep you guys updated once I find out more.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lastest update - 3 local Ford Dealers gave me the shrug emoji and looked at me like I am crazy about this request. Ultimately 2 out 3 said, we can try for $180/h but no guarantees...

One guy online says it's not possible and pointed me to buying a new $600 APIM off ebay. (most go for $300)

The other guy said he's 100% confident it will work and his cost for the files and programming and the as built config was much lower. He said I'll get it tomorrow... fingers crossed

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is basically audio hot rodding, new school/old school.. Many so called techs & dealers just won't think about anything out of their norm. Someone in the 80's was the first to crack the so called unserviceable factory computer proms, then it became the norm in the aftermarket to do all sorts of unintended changes & functions.
I got hope for your other guy.........

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, bad news. My guy came through and sent me the files with good instructions on how to execute this. Based on what I read this is a bit more of a hack then a formal Ford procedure (reminds me a bit of my android rooting days, too old for that now).

• I had clear instructions on how to format and set up the USB flash drive to prepare.
  • Turn on vehicle
  • pop the USB stick in (behind cluster, not by the cup holders), and wait, and wait, get anxious if this in going to work or if system will get bricked...

It said software update in progress but then nothing happened for 30min...
After checking in with with guy, he said that it had worked in the past with reformatting from 4" screen to 8" screen with transits but it will likely not work anymore because Ford patched this loophole earlier this year. And I am pretty sure I excitedly updated everything via WIFI when I received my Van in May

He said, he'll look into if there is a way to downgrade my SW somehow and then it should work.
He advised not to go that cyanlabs route of updating firmware via a beta of forscan...

Next step:
I'll likely buy a new APIM from him pre-configured to my VIN and the proper as-built already on it. He is even refunding me the money for the re-formatting as that didn't work.
pricing for the new APIM is better that what's on ebay.
This is a good opportunity to switch to Ford Nav. Even though their NAV stinks I had many times during last summer's road trip with no service = no google maps navigation.

so the journey continues...
so far:
2018 Ecosport screen off ebay - $150 (if you can find screen and APIM combo from same vehicle you save yourself a bundle - I wish I could go back)
1st attempt reformatting and programming $140
soon - new 4th gen APIM with Nav and all SW, config with my VIN for $310

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a screen for an ecosport on eBay that works perfect.
However, I had forgotten about car-part.com and found a bunch on there as well.

The latest issue I'm afraid I'll run into is that there are gen3 and gen4 APIMs which I didn't realize. (Gen4 only had 1 USB connection??)

So of course the 8" screen programmed APIM I bought off carpart is a gen 3.
It'll get here tomorrow so I'll try anyway but I may have to buy yet another gen4 APIM.
Or maybe send mine to one of the programming guys, I'll check into that.

Probably more updates to come this weekend.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Alright, gen3 APIM arrived today.

All plugs in and seems to work fine and fires right up at the full 8" with nav and everything.

I haven't played with it much yet or loaded the as built config that I payed the guy for. So we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and of course now that I am searching for the connectors I found this website. I wish I had found this earlier...
Gen3 you loose the Wifi Hotspot and phone remote start and unlocking which I do use a lot. :-(
I guess that's part of the learning.

Gen3 vs Gen4

I am tempted to find another junkyard APIM, get the as built put in and then update it myself but I am running out of steam and might just spend the additional $300 for the Gen4 new + Nav APIM from the my original ebay guy...

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And the Journey continues. Found a Gen4 APIM on car-parts.com (made sure it's from an 8" screen vehicle with NAV), installed in 5min, loaded the VIN specific as-built that I paid somebody for and it seems to work fine but FM radio does not work.

Not sure what that is all about. Will try to find out more tomorrow. If anybody has any ideas please let me know, thank you.

Here's the difference between gen3 (bottom) and gen4 (top) APIM. The gen4 only has 1 USB and no hole where the second port used to be

·
Registered
2020 T350 HR ext 3.5EB
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been in contact with the guy who sold me the as-built file and he also has no idea what the FM radio issue could be.

Today after forscan module reset of the APIM and the ACM (have to reset APIM first, otherwise reset for the ACM will not work) I can switch to FM and everything works great.
Once I hit a preset button, try to program a preset button or in radio settings change the amount of preset buttons --> it switches to AM and then is stuck there until the next forscan module reset (APIM + ACM)
I might just leave it in FM, and not program any presets, haha. Or complain to the dealer, maybe they'll fix it under warranty, haha.

I also haven't been able to fully connect the Ford Pass App, even though in theory it should work.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts