Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD High Roof Extended in Silver Ingot.
149 Posts
You need to take this with a pinch of salt. I think this is for a 2020 that came with 2 extra keys and without a keypad ....

Someone with FORscan and a 2020 / 2021 could check it out.
What's the significance? I asked the local small volume country service department about this and they supposedly asked the programming guru they have at the dealership. According to that person, two keypads can't be done. I am conflicted because I have seen that someone was able to get it done on a 2020 but have not received any confirmation. I have tried to DM that person but have not gotten an answer back yet.

·
Registered
2019 T250 R2Y 3.5EB 3.73LS
235 Posts
.... What's the significance .... programming guru .... two keypads can't be done ....
I haven't kept up with this issue totally, but I had the impression no one has added a keypad to a transit that didn't have one already or has added a second to a transit that did already have one. My question would be what changed in the 2020/2021 that makes the old re-programming steps not work and how can the dealership get one re-programmed. They would have to be able fix one under warranty.

.... My van came with a keypad, but it didn't work, so the dealer took it off, and installed a new one. It's basically like adding another key, except they need to reprogram all the keys, so pretty sure it's a dealer-only-install sort of thing. ....
So either the dealership @ahotrod2 went to is using IDS, or removing the old keypad allowed them to follow the key cycling process to re-program in the replacement. If it requires IDS now, then the answer might be found in FORscan. If just removing the defective keypad allows the key cycling process to work, then what would happen if "they" kept going and tried to add a second keypad?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought about adding a hidden momentary switch (maybe behind the grill) that tapped into the door lock switch on the unlock side for a "emergency unlock". It just seems like a bunch of work though.

·
Super Moderator
3,610 Posts
What's the significance? I asked the local small volume country service department about this and they supposedly asked the programming guru they have at the dealership. According to that person, two keypads can't be done. I am conflicted because I have seen that someone was able to get it done on a 2020 but have not received any confirmation. I have tried to DM that person but have not gotten an answer back yet.
The guy may not be the "guru" they think he is. The instructions for using IDS to add keypads clearly states that up to four can be programmed:

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
451 Posts
You have a link to that? From what I've heard, the 2020s change how things work so the model year is important.

The guy may not be the "guru" they think he is. The instructions for using IDS to add keypads clearly states that up to four can be programmed:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went and checked checked the Etis option for the Door Keypad Menu for my 2019 and my old 2015 and the option showed for both VINs and all were "Disabled". I saw a reference to Enabling it in FORscan for F150's that needed it for a wired keypad and it enabled a menu display in the cluster. There was also a reference on the F150 forum about having to use the instructions for a Mustang to enter the "vehicle programming mode". The 2016 Multiple Vehicle Lines - With Keyless Remote Entry System says "Turn the key from the OFF position to the RUN (not START) position four times within six seconds. / NOTE: Some vehicles may require eight key cycles before returning to the OFF position."

The RF_Key_Pad_8_29_2016 document indicates you can enter the "keypad programming mode" using the master code and the first thing it's supposed to do is indicate what communication mode the keypad is currently using ....

6. When the proper master code is entered the 9/0 button will flash a pattern that corresponds to the current protocol set:
• One flash per second for "Communication Type 2".
• Three flashes per second for "Communication Type 1" (Default).

7. You will have 10 seconds to:
• Press the 9/0 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 2".
• Press the 1/2 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 1" (Default).
Sounds like "Type 2" keypads are limited to using the dealer (IDS) or FORscan to run the "RF Keypad Learn Process". It also seems to indicate you can determine the communication type without going into "vehicle programming mode". They don't say what happens if you change the communication type.

That's from a 2016 document, but if it still applies then I would think FORscan might pull up a similar "re-learn" service procedure. Sometimes the folks over at FORscan need someone to ask for something for them to make it happen.

Edit: 2018 vintage instructions ....

.... https://www.levittownfordparts.com/docs/KB3Z-14A626-A.pdf

Note the section on "Free Storage Location"

·
Registered
235 Posts
The IDS instructions in KB3Z-14A626-A.pdf note the changes are made in the BCM module. You can see how things changed in the BCM between 2015 and 2020 ....

·
Registered
41 Posts
This goes over my head but if I interpret this correctly ...for 2020 they simply flipped an option so that you can no longer reprogram per user manual? And I get to pay shop hours for someone to take 20 seconds to enable it?:mad:

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having just run the gauntlet on this issue myself, here's some solid answers:

1- it is absolutely not possible to program a keypad to a 2020 Transit without diagnostic equipment.
2- you CAN program more than one to a single vehicle.
3- you can set a personal code.
4- There are 2 different keypads: one for vans with FACTORY INSTALLED remote start, one for ones without. DEALER INSTALLED remote start vans will still use the keypad for vans without.

FWIW, I'm a locksmith, I do this stuff all day, every day. I have an arsenal of scan tools, none of which would do the job on the transit initially.

I ordered a couple of keypads from my local dealer, who saw "remote start" on my window sticker and that's the version they bought. Problem is my covid-build van was ordered that way, but showed up with an accessory remote start system installed (separate fob). I tried programming it with my Autel IM608 but it lacked the function for the Transit, so I used the routine under a similar year F150. I was unsuccessful, so I made an appointment with the service department of the same dealer I bought the keypads from. I made it a point to mention the remote start issue, and on the day of the appointment, the service writer rejected the job before it even went into the bay, stating that there was no way they would be successful programming those keypads, and they didn't want to take my money.

Back to the parts dept to swap them out. . . didn't have them, ordered them again. What showed up was 2019-down keypads. . . parts guy swore they were correct. . . which I protested and he swapped them again.

Finally got the correct keypads, as documented on this website. Went back to the service dept to make an appointment. . . they're booked out 3 weeks.

Went to another Ford dealer to set it up and was told "$150, it'll take a couple of hours at least, gotta update the software on the BCM to program those, not sure it's possible to program more than one, and by the way, you can't change the code!!!"

Thanked him for his time, told him I'd check back if I wanted to go that route, and decided with that line of BS I was gonna figure it out on my own.

Downloaded FDRS on my laptop and dug out an J2534 programming interface. Paid $50 for a 2 day pass. Got both keypads programmed in about 5 minutes, never having done that process before. Set personal codes on both.

Here's the actual process, done on my laptop using the same software the dealer would use.

Before anyone asks, I have no desire to write a how-to for getting FDRS on your computer, or what J2534 interfaces will work, or any of that. Figure it out like I did, or pay the dealer.

Further reading:

Why does the remote start issue matter? Ford uses 315mhz keyless entry remotes for vehicles WITHOUT remote start. They use 902MHZ for vehicles WITH factory remote start. The keypads need to match the frequency of the vehicle they're going to be installed on. This little trait makes stocking smart keys for Fords a PITA, simply because you don't know what fob to use until you figure out if it has RS or not.

Why didn't the procedure for the F150 work? Because the Transit manages the keypads with a module called a RTM, Radio Transceiver Module. The F150 has it in the BCM. My autel was talking to the wrong module.

·
Super Moderator
3,610 Posts
1- it is absolutely not possible to program a keypad to a 2020 Transit without diagnostic equipment.
4- There are 2 different keypads: one for vans with FACTORY INSTALLED remote start, one for ones without. DEALER INSTALLED remote start vans will still use the keypad for vans without.
Thanks for such definitive information! (too bad so many dealers don't know it)

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
451 Posts
Wow, that's great info!!!

Thanks for figuring it all out and documenting/sharing.

I did notice my keypad has "315mhz" printed on it and we don't have remote start (kicking myself now for not getting that and seeing the extra layer of frequency differences only makes me more concerned about trying to save a couple hundred bucks by thinking we could add it ourselves). We have a '21.

·
Registered
253 Posts

FWIW, I'm a locksmith, I do this stuff all day, every day. I have an arsenal of scan tools, none of which would do the job on the transit initially.

I ordered a couple of keypads from my local dealer, who saw "remote start" on my window sticker and that's the version they bought. Problem is my covid-build van was ordered that way, but showed up with an accessory remote start system installed (separate fob). I tried programming it with my Autel IM608 but it lacked the function for the Transit, so I used the routine under a similar year F150. I was unsuccessful, so I made an appointment with the service department of the same dealer I bought the keypads from. I made it a point to mention the remote start issue, and on the day of the appointment, the service writer rejected the job before it even went into the bay, stating that there was no way they would be successful programming those keypads, and they didn't want to take my money.

Back to the parts dept to swap them out. . . didn't have them, ordered them again. What showed up was 2019-down keypads. . . parts guy swore they were correct. . . which I protested and he swapped them again.

Finally got the correct keypads, as documented on this website. Went back to the service dept to make an appointment. . . they're booked out 3 weeks.

Went to another Ford dealer to set it up and was told "$150, it'll take a couple of hours at least, gotta update the software on the BCM to program those, not sure it's possible to program more than one, and by the way, you can't change the code!!!"

Thanked him for his time, told him I'd check back if I wanted to go that route, and decided with that line of BS I was gonna figure it out on my own.

Downloaded FDRS on my laptop and dug out an J2534 programming interface. Paid $50 for a 2 day pass. Got both keypads programmed in about 5 minutes, never having done that process before. Set personal codes on both.

Here's the actual process, done on my laptop using the same software the dealer would use.

Before anyone asks, I have no desire to write a how-to for getting FDRS on your computer, or what J2534 interfaces will work, or any of that. Figure it out like I did, or pay the dealer.

Further reading:

Why does the remote start issue matter? Ford uses 315mhz keyless entry remotes for vehicles WITHOUT remote start. They use 902MHZ for vehicles WITH factory remote start. The keypads need to match the frequency of the vehicle they're going to be installed on. This little trait makes stocking smart keys for Fords a PITA, simply because you don't know what fob to use until you figure out if it has RS or not.

Why didn't the procedure for the F150 work? Because the Transit manages the keypads with a module called a RTM, Radio Transceiver Module. The F150 has it in the BCM. My autel was talking to the wrong module.
So in other words, unless you are a locksmith or auto mechanic, you have to take it to the dealer? Considering how expensive J2534 interfaces are

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty much.

Relatively speaking, J2534 interfaces aren't that much. I have probably $50k in diagnostic and programming equipment, and spend about $5k a year on software subscriptions and licenses.

And I still can't to it all. Couldn't do this without the FDRS sub. To their credit, Autel will probably add the function eventually....but it's too new and weird for it to be mainstream I guess.

I was willing to pay $100-150 to have the dealer do it. No problem there...it's when the BS started about it taking hours, not possible to program more more one, or add a personal code that I pulled a Ron Swanson:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pretty much.

Relatively speaking, J2534 interfaces aren't that much. I have probably $50k in diagnostic and programming equipment, and spend about $5k a year on software subscriptions and licenses.

And I still can't to it all. Couldn't do this without the FDRS sub. To their credit, Autel will probably add the function eventually....but it's too new and weird for it to be mainstream I guess.

I was willing to pay $100-150 to have the dealer do it. No problem there...it's when the BS started about it taking hours, not possible to program more more one, or add a personal code that I pulled a Ron Swanson:

ang chance you’re in Colorado? Haha. Would gladly pay you to program mine.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Great information. I've been following this thread just for interest's sake, as my van is a 2018 and programming was simple.

I hadn't heard of J2534 before, though it's clearly been around a long time. It looks like this offers a higher level of abstraction across a variety of makes and models but relies on lower level protocols to actually do the work.

Translation to english: existing less expensive hardware interfaces should theoretically still work but the software needs to be written and/or figured out.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Great information. I've been following this thread just for interest's sake, as my van is a 2018 and programming was simple.

I hadn't heard of J2534 before, though it's clearly been around a long time. It looks like this offers a higher level of abstraction across a variety of makes and models but relies on lower level protocols to actually do the work.

Translation to english: existing less expensive hardware interfaces should theoretically still work but the software needs to be written and/or figured out.
I anxiously await your purchase of a 2020 so you can figure this one out.
I seem to recall someone reaching out on this forum to you for a job to help you out with some of your technical projects. Perhaps you could use that help on your backlog of technical projects so you could get to this one in a timeframe suitable to my needs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ang chance you’re in Colorado? Haha. Would gladly pay you to program mine.
Lol the wife and I were in Breckenridge a couple of weeks ago....alas I only brought my snow clothes, no programming gear. She gets a little snippy when I try to work on vacation, too.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I anxiously await your purchase of a 2020 so you can figure this one out.
I seem to recall someone reaching out on this forum to you for a job to help you out with some of your technical projects. Perhaps you could use that help on your backlog of technical projects so you could get to this one in a timeframe suitable to my needs.
Seems I could use some crowdfunding. I wonder how long it will take to cover a new van...

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Seems I could use some crowdfunding. I wonder how long it will take to cover a new van...
You might be surprised (or not) at the things people are willing (or exploited/manipulated) to throw money at. Maybe there is something to this "social intelligence" thing. How about if you make it so the donor has to uncheck a box ...

61 - 80 of 86 Posts