Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, agree with Brivalen. I purchased a keypad based on Far Out Ride link to Amazon. Stuck it to my car then went to program. Dope.... Lots of key twisting with no results. Instructions included with keypad only tell how to reprogram the security code, not connect with van. Before I spend more money on a new one it would be nice to know if this is something that I can program at home. Or, would really be nice to find out if any way to program old model. Still hoping for someone with a little knowledge to post. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, ordered up the 2020 version and can verify it comes with no programming instructions. Maybe it's in the manual, but I have a feeling I will be paying the dealership even more money. Anybody figure out how to program the new 2020 keypad?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you don't have PATS, programming appears to be like before.
2020 is a new system for keys and remotes. PATS is standard equipment on all models this year. I don't even see an option in the order guide to have it deleted.

Their owners manual has never been completely accurate on these vans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, still waiting to hear from someone that has been able to program the 2020 keypad. Yes my owner manual has instructions to link up keys. Unfortunately, I can't get vehicle into program mode.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello all, posting here because I have a similar problem. I can get my van into programming mode (2016) and I can recognize all my devices EXCEPT a pair of new keypads I bought. They are the new style illustrated in this thread. Does anyone know if the new keypads are compatible with the old vans? Looks like CrewManMatt says No. Both parts places said that the new style keypad superseded the old one, but the 7/8 9/0 combo which pairs the device isn't working.

Btw, for the original poster, the procedure is 4 key turns as spec'd in FarOutRide's site. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
451 Posts
"...it is time to replace the unit. The battery is not replaceable."

Wow - I'm sure I don't understand the complexities of making it replaceable, but if dealers ditch their NOS when a new version comes out, seems like Ford is setting up for people to be screwed.

I remember my aunt had the keypad on her Ford and said it died and couldn't be replaced. That was over a decade ago. Guess Ford hasn't had enough people complain about the planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
2020 AWD High Roof Extended in Silver Ingot.
149 Posts
That is helpful. Unfortunately, that page does not include how to pair it with the van. 🙁
Yeah I am still trying to figure out how to get it into programming mode. If I can find anything out I will surely post it and I hope someone else will do the same if they figure it out. I bought the keypad from Matt Ford parts department a week ago so I may call them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best to buy the remote keyless entry pad from the Ford parts department and get the correct one for your vehicle. We kept the correct ones for the 2015-19 in stock for adding to our customer Transit vehicles and once Ford made the change on the 2020 model, we are stocking the new one.
@CrewVanMan Do you know if it’s possible to add TWO remote keypads to the 2020 model? I ordered a second one (for 2020’s with remote start), and my local dealer spent 3 hours trying to add it and finally said “you can only have ONE keypad on the 2020 model.” Is that right??? I’d love to have one on the passenger side too.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
We have not done one on a 2020 model yet but in the past we have pared 2 and one time 3 on a Transit. The key to it is doing them BEFORE you place them on the vehicle as they have to be paired to each other and the vehicle. It has to be done together in sequence in a short time and that is the key to getting them to work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have not done one on a 2020 model yet but in the past we have pared 2 and one time 3 on a Transit. The key to it is doing them BEFORE you place them on the vehicle as they have to be paired to each other and the vehicle. It has to be done together in sequence in a short time and that is the key to getting them to work.
So how is it done? There is no way I’ve seen to get it in pairing mode. I can add a personal code just fine but it’s not linked to the vehicle. It seems like it needs to be added in or activated by a computer. The instructions don’t go over how to bind them to a new vehicle. The manual doesn’t show it either and all the instructions I’ve found are for the 2019 and before.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same.. that’s why I bought one whi
@CrewVanMan Do you know if it’s possible to add TWO remote keypads to the 2020 model? I ordered a second one (for 2020’s with remote start), and my local dealer spent 3 hours trying to add it and finally said “you can only have ONE keypad on the 2020 model.” Is that right??? I’d love to have one on the passenger side too.
Same! That’s why I bought one when I picked up my van. Didn’t think it was going to be a hassle like this and if it did need to be activated or added with Ford software it should’ve been done at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@
apparently it’s a different system on the 2020’s and it doesn’t work anymore. But if anyone on this forum can find out if it is possible, it’s you - so fingers crossed you try it and figure it out. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
There HAS to be a way to program one.. It was obviously done at the factory at the very least because I ordered it on mine and it works fine.

If the batteries can't be replaced that means when the battery dies, so does that option?? Nah, there is a way.

@CrewVanManInfo should be able to find out. If this is just an expensive paperweight, I will call the Matt Ford parts department and return this one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There HAS to be a way to program one.. It was obviously done at the factory at the very least because I ordered it on mine and it works fine.

If the batteries can't be replaced that means when the battery dies, so does that option?? Nah, there is a way.

@CrewVanManInfo should be able to find out. If this is just an expensive paperweight, I will call the Matt Ford parts department and return this one.
Did you get TWO at the factory and they both work? The issue isn’t that a single one can’t be replaced - it can. But it seems the 2020 system only allows one keypad. As soon as you add a new one, it removes the old one (if there was one).

21 - 40 of 86 Posts