Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Ford Transit that did not come with high idle control capabilities. Is this something that can be added afterwards? It has the 3.7l V6 gasoline engine.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
3.7L engine means 2019 and earlier, which means the SEIC is in the ECM AFAIK.

2020 means 3.5 or 3.2L engine and I have no idea about the SEIC for that.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anything new on this topic? I ask because I stumbled over this:

Which suggests it is trivial, just jump two pins.

Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anything new on this topic? I ask because I stumbled over this:

Which suggests it is trivial, just jump two pins.

Anyone tried this?
haven’t tried it yet, but seems solid. SRC inhibit/third party high power mode is not the same thing as SEIC (stationary elevated idle control). That is a separate thing.

^^ Probably the easiest way to implement high idle control. I bought one but haven’t installed yet. They swell a few different models. Just removes the complicated need to use relays, connect s bunch of stuff, etc. more “plug and play” although it’s not as easy as just plugging something in

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ah, what is the difference?

(I personally just want a higher idle, so that I can say charge batteries or run some hefty AC120 thingamabob. I don’t care how I get it.)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I created a huge detailed thread on this related to my 2018:

I recall that newer models were supposed to be roughly the same but that there was some problem/omission in the ECU preventing it from working properly. Someone else feel free to chime in with those newer details.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I created a huge detailed thread on this related to my 2018:

I recall that newer models were supposed to be roughly the same but that there was some problem/omission in the ECU preventing it from working properly. Someone else feel free to chime in with those newer details.
Your memory seems correct - well at least it correlates mine (that may not be a good thing :rolleyes:)
SEIC in 2020 appears to be the same as previous year, IIRC the documentation is the same- but I do not recall any post of actual implementation in 2020

There was an issue with SEIC and the electronic parking brake in the 2021's that is identified in a TSB that now also identifies the solution https://madocumentupload.marketinga...439354b80fe1938c3975362315d530731aa8&v5=False
Credit to @Michael Ophus for surfacing this one.

·
Registered
485 Posts

(I personally just want a higher idle, so that I can say charge batteries or run some hefty AC120 thingamabob. I don’t care how I get it.)
You need to enable third party high power mode (= disable smart alternator function) to take advantage of higher idle (I think). Otherwise smart alternator function should still keep amps and voltage lower.

using the start/stop disable button does turn off smart alternator function I think

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,492 Posts

If "AC120" is a 120A charger or something in the 120A range, I'm not sure you need a high-idle in a 2020.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If "AC120" is a 120A charger or something in the 120A range, I'm not sure you need a high-idle in a 2020.
Interesting. Are you able to pull 12.5A at the Multiplus via your Giandel when at idle? What about when you cranked it up to 14-15A? Still at idle?
That would be sweet. I didn't think there was quite enough juice at idle for that.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,492 Posts
Interesting. Are you able to pull 12.5A at the Multiplus via your Giandel when at idle? What about when you cranked it up to 14-15A? Still at idle?
That would be sweet. I didn't think there was quite enough juice at idle for that.
That's a solid YES. I've let it run for a half-hour at idle and it's still humming away. 14-15A is just the same to the van - just keeps humming at idle. You can hear the idle drop a bit at the voltage at the Giandel drops but it works fine. I'm pretty confident it would keep doing that until it runs out of gas; but I've never had reason to run it more than a half-hour or so.

The 12.5A setting is just to keep the Giandel quiet / cool - the van is a non-issue even at idle. I took it up to 17-18A before and the van did it's thing. The Giandel was screaming - literally shut off and gave a "overload" message. But the van seems to be fine kicking out that 170A at idle from what I observed. 🤷‍♀️

1 - 14 of 14 Posts