Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Ford Transit After Market Stereo Install

The new Transits have new electronic systems different from all previous years, so installing a new stereo is kind of tricky.

WARNING and DISCLAIMER!!! This is how I did it. I am not a pro stereo installer. I do not know really anything about electronics or radio install and really nothing about Ford wiring so use at your own risk! I am not responsible for damage to your vehicle.

Spoiler: I installed a double din Kenwood (not easy) that has factory steering wheel controls, factory backup camera with factory turn and distance lines. I also hooked up a front camera and side camera (not explained in this install part or how to do a double din).

My Ford Pass and everything works like normal also.

My goal was to install an aftermarket radio without cutting up the factory harness and keeping the factory back up camera.

Stereo Harness:

The iDatalink RF03 harness directly plugs in to the Ford harness and brings along the camera video feed. All you need for the ford backup camera to work is hot wire running to the back of your stereo (kenwood is Purple/white wire). I’ll show where I hooked this up in a minute. I used a wire running to my cigarette lighter with a switch for a few days until I got everything hooked up LOL. P.S. I cut the wires below because I was using a steering wheel controller from a different company.

iDatalink rFO3 Replace your factory radio while retaining steering wheel audio controls and other features in select 2020-up Ford trucks at Crutchfield

The large black plug pins (on back of plug):

Top row

-Yellow is hooked to batt (for stock stereo)

-Black is ground

Greys hook up to stereo plug

Second row

WHT & WHT/BLACK, PURPLE, PURPLE/BLACK, etc are speaker wires

Bottom row

-Brown/red connects Ford Data info

-Yellow/Brown connects Ford Data info

-The other two (three wires are the camera feed) connect to RCA video plug that hooks up to reverse camera RCA video female input on back of stereo.

The only thing missing is a key on source to the red wire. and the backup wire. I hooked this via Fuse Tap Micro2 Fuse Tap Circuit w/ Dual Fuse Holder to the fuse that powers Engine on/ engine running, like the turn signals. I ran this power to a relay then used the yellow wire on the F03 harness as power (which is the radio power).

Back Up Wire

It’s the Green/Brown wire going to the back or I found an extra in the done light area.

Steering Wheel Controls

I used the PAC-SWI-RC-1 universal controller

On this wiring harness all you need is the pink wire, yellow wire (+batt), red wire (key on +, fuse 36), black wires (grounds), pink (connect to F03 Brown/Yellow wire on bottom), blue/yellow wire (connect to stereo plug for steering wheel control [Kenwood has the blue/yellow wire on harness]). I used a small screwdriver to unplug all the other wires.

Program:

There is no information for 2020 Ford Transits and F150 and F250 settings don’t recognize the right steering wheel buttons. I figured out that the settings for the Ford Transit Connect 2017 recognize all the steering wheel buttons but they are not exactly like we had. The unit is setup for left steering wheel button to raise/lower and mute volume.

The problem for me is that the right buttons don’t go through programmed stations like before but now search, for example 91.2,91.3,91.4 each time they are pressed. I figured out how to fix this.

Use the guide for the Transit Connect below and select your stereo

SWI-RC-1 Wiring Guide – PAC

Re-program Buttons:

This part was hard and confusing.

Press control button the side of the SWI-RC-1 and hold while turning on the key to run. When the light goes solid green let go of the button. You have 7 seconds to program.

To set ford control like we had with the stock stereo:

How it works: Once you enter the mode with the green light showing solid the module starts with command 1. Once a button on the wheel is pushed that button does that command. Then the module is automatically set to program the next button with command 2. IMPORTANT: If you want command 7 on a button you have to skip commands by pressing the side button. Each press skips to the next numbered command. So if you program the first 3 buttons you are now programming command 4. So to program command 7 press the button on the module, noting a blink with each press, 3 more times. Recap- you’re on command 4, so press button once and 4 is skipped, Press again and it skips command 5. Press again and it skips command 6. Now you’re ready to program command 7! The next button on the steering wheel you push in set to command 7. The next button on the steering wheel you push will program command 8 and so on. Got it? When you're done stop and the module will blink 3-4 times and you’re done.

So let’s program to previous Ford settings:

Ok, now the module is set to program command 1. Start with left steering wheel buttons. Press the button Volume + on the steering wheel once. Now, the module is set to program the next button you push on the steering wheel with command 2 which is Volume down. Now you’re on command 3, which is mute, so press the left mute button. Now, press the button on the module 3 times (On each press note the module light blink each time). Press the Phone + button on the right steering wheel for command 7. Ok, so after that you are programming command 8 and by pressing the Phone - command 8 is set. Note Commands 7 & 8 skip down pre-set radio stations. P.S. I did use command 4 for hang up on the steering wheel. P.S.S. If you hold the buttons on the wheel until the turn to amber they can learn another command also, like answer Bluetooth phone, which I did not hookup.

Again, use at your own risk!! Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
great information. you wrote: >> I installed a double din Kenwood (not easy) <<
A couple of questions:
which Kenwood unit did you install?
And what was the 'not easy' part? You mean all the sleuthing you did and wrote about above? Or was there something else?
Do you have a list of the parts you did buy, like a dash kit, etc? That would be helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great information. you wrote: >> I installed a double din Kenwood (not easy) <<
A couple of questions:
which Kenwood unit did you install?
And what was the 'not easy' part? You mean all the sleuthing you did and wrote about above? Or was there something else?
Do you have a list of the parts you did buy, like a dash kit, etc? That would be helpful.
Thanks!
I didn't sue a dash kit. I installed a double din so I have to make my own “hood” or face for the stereo. I had to remove the upper mounts for the stock stereo, so that removes a slight bit of the permanent dash. Also, I had to cut the control panel of the van, but that is easily replaceable.

I wired my kenwood plug into the F03 wiring harness. My guide covers the other parts, which is the steering wheel controller. Backup wire and Key on power wire. Best wishes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts