Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been posted since I can not find the search icon now. This is a picture of a Ford handout I got at the fair.

I thought it was interesting since I had not seen the specs before.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate any of that is. I doubt the 3.5 won't have start/stop, and I doubt the diesel will. I suspect this was prepared by a marketing department devoid of any gear heads.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate any of that is. I doubt the 3.5 won't have start/stop, and I doubt the diesel will. I suspect this was prepared by a marketing department devoid of any gear heads.
It’s been reported as in OP from beginning. It’s one reason I prefer the 3.5L Naturally Aspirated V6 best — no Stop-Start.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The earlier information above didn’t include RPM for power and torque ratings, which is quite important in my opinion.

Also of interest may be overall gearing ratio comparison with 3.31 and 3.73 axle ratios. This is for diesel but I expect the gas engines (EcoBoost) would be the same.

7BC66E34-E286-4C2F-9728-FB294796DAAA.jpeg
E6DEABBE-847D-4D77-A7FA-E940F7238D68.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
The "UPDATED OPTIONAL GAS ENGINE 2020MY TRANSIT 3.5L ECOBOOST® V6 – Still unique to segment – Custom-designed for Transit, based on F150" pictured in this document shows 2 timing chains. Does this mean that the Transit now has a (no PFI) variant of the second generation 3.5L Ecoboost? It was my understanding that the addition of a second timing chain was one of the updates in the second generation. OR is this just inaccurate marketing "information" from Ford, as there is no mention of any changes to this engine in the order guide (other than the addition of start/stop)

BTW - it looks like the 3.5L Ecoboost is available without start/stop when ordered in the Ambulance Prep Package

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't see the option for two interior colors that the document says? The eSourceBook does not talk about Ebony Black or Dark Palazzo Gray. Some of the photos on the Ford Web site show a dark black interior.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would not want a 4 banger in a big vehicle like that unless it were diesel.
To me it would depend greatly on 4-banger size and design.

A large heavy-duty gasoline 4-cylinder should hold up fine in a relatively light van, and could offer diesel-like performance in some ways. For those who don’t plan on towing much, and prefer economy over raw power, a large naturally aspirated inline 4 may be great. The 2.3L EB should be fine also.

Chevy and Toyota are now using fairly large 4-cylinder engines in pickups (Chevy being a turbo), but I’d personally have nothing against an even larger NA 4 banger. Obviously it would require a balance shaft to smooth vibration.

I’d like to see a +/- 3.6L pushrod 4 built from new 7.3L V8, similar to what was done decades ago by using half of the 7.5L Ford V8 (460 cubic inch) to create a custom engine for racing and boating. The new V8 will be used on Ford trucks up to F-650 and F-750 with GVWR of over 30,000 pounds, so durability of half that engine in a light van wouldn’t be an issue. Power would be in same range of Sprinter V6 diesel, so not great but adequate. Built like a true HD truck engine, it could have decent fuel economy and low operating costs.

I’m certain that will never happen, but if Ford built such a basic engine, I’d consider it. I’ve had a few 4-cylinder engines from different manufacturers and was quite happy with Hondas and Fords. Chevy was OK except it leaked oil excessively.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
@Chance; Merikuns are slightly obsessed with the number of cylinders an internal combustion engine has. I've suggested a 2.7l displacement V12 so they can feel potent regarding how many cylinders they are firing. Fewer than 8 makes many feel impotent, more than 8 makes them feel important.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, this opened up all kinds of questions and things for me to look into. Glad I haven't ordered yet! Thanks! Good post. Here's what I'm now sorting through:

AUTO STOP-START – STANDARD ON 3.5L ECOBOOST® AND 2.0L DIESEL
– Inhibited during engine/cabin warm-up, A/C pulldown, low battery state of charge
or high current draw from alternator or battery
That may acceptable for me even though I dislike start/stop (but I like fuel economy and greater range), because it appears alternator draw to charge house batteries or power house loads will keep it disabled. But a manual way to disable will surely come along, and I'll likely use that.

– Smaller console for improved leg swing clearance – STANDARD
Suddenly I realized I don't want the large center console in the upfitter pacakge due to it being in the way when swiveling. Glad I learned this! 67c upfitter pkg gets you high capacity switches, large console, aux fuse panel w/high spec connector interface. If no 67C to avoid large console, then lose high capacity upfitter switches (can't add separately), but 87e gets you aux fuse panel w/high spec connector interface, dual agm, modified wiring.

ELECTRICAL OPTIONS
– Upfitter Interface Module (similar to Super Duty)
– Customer connection points
▪ STANDARD 1 x 60A, OPTIONAL 1 x 180A, with Load Shedding Relay
ELECTRIC PAS:
– Requires restrictions on upfitter electrical load connections to ensure load shedding if required

That's ominous. Hope it doesn't create house power/charging problems.

– Dual alternator option minimizes load shedding (available on 3.5L EcoBoost only

That helps some.

FORD PASS CONNECT™ (MOBILE PHONE APP)
– Remote lock/unlock, remote start/stop
– Vehicle location, vehicle status and health alerts

So remote start/stop not necessary as option now if all vehicles have this already? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smaller console for improved leg swing clearance – STANDARD
Suddenly I realized I don't want the large center console in the upfitter pacakge due to it being in the way when swiveling. Glad I learned this! 67c upfitter pkg gets you high capacity switches, large console, aux fuse panel w/high spec connector interface. If no 67C to avoid large console, then lose high capacity upfitter switches (can't add separately), but 87e gets you aux fuse panel w/high spec connector interface, dual agm, modified wiring.

Say what?! We just ordered a 2020 with the upfitter package with swivel. Please do tell how you know that the larger console will be in the way when swiveling because that is BIG news.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
.......cut.....

ELECTRICAL OPTIONS
– Upfitter Interface Module (similar to Super Duty)
– Customer connection points
▪ STANDARD 1 x 60A, OPTIONAL 1 x 180A, with Load Shedding Relay
ELECTRIC PAS:
– Requires restrictions on upfitter electrical load connections to ensure load shedding if required

That's ominous. Hope it doesn't create house power/charging problems.

Dual alternator option minimizes load shedding (available on 3.5L EcoBoost only

.....cut.....
Is dual alternator option on standard engine delayed or eliminated? Original Ford data stated it would be available with both 3.5L gas engines. Ford even issued pictures of both engines with the two alternators.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe the smaller console makes it easier to swing your legs around to access the rear of the van while the seat is still facing forward.
I’m sure they engineered the swivels to do their thing with either console.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts