Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Ford recommends premium has for the 2020 Ecoboost engines. Is there anyone that is using regular gas instead? I know that there is benefits of using higher octane gas and performance, but is it necessary to use premium gas for daily driving?

I have found some older discussions on this topic dating back to 2014. A lot has changed since then so I'm not sure if the points still apply to the 2020s?

Thank you

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello all. Ford recommends premium has for the 2020 Ecoboost engines. Is there anyone that is using regular gas instead? I know that there is benefits of using higher octane gas and performance, but is it necessary to use premium gas for daily driving?

I have found some older discussions on this topic dating back to 2014. A lot has changed since then so I'm not sure if the points still apply to the 2020s?

Thank you
Can you point to your source for EcoBoost engines requiring premium gasoline? I looked before I ordered my 21MY van and did not find such a recommendation.

Reactions: Vanpackr

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
969 Posts

Thank you
Oh geez, I double checked before I ordered ecoboost and it calls for regular gas. I can’t use premium gas since I am allergic to it.

Now I understand why my 2020 transit blew up with only 200 miles on it because the dealer filled with regular gas. 😜😜😜 Just wonder if FORD trains their dealers what Gas transit should be used Now we need a class lawsuit lawyer to representing us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can use Regular (all I've used in the short time I've had it). From the 2020 Owner's Manual:

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 242).
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can use Regular (all I've used in the short time I've had it). From the 2020 Owner's Manual:
I was just going to post this.
So where did the OP get the conflicting info?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was just going to post this.
So where did the OP get the conflicting info?
The original post does not seem to conflict with the Owner's Manual. The original post says: "Ford recommends premium gas for the 2020 Ecoboost engines" and the Owner's Manual says "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended." Sounds consistent, not conflicting.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I agree that “required” and “recommended” are not the same.

I would add that the following sentence seems a little misleading based on the recommended 91. If taken literally, it means to me that it “can” operate on 87 but is not ideal.

“Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.”

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I will say this, I drive like a bat out of he|| and I use regular. Driving a fair bit during the hottest months this past summer, even with only 2500 miles on the van, the tailpipe was dang near drooling black soot. Another elderly Transit owner and friend of mine noticed it, and I chalked it up to being heavy footed, but it did give me pause, so I may shell out for premium from now on when driving fast (always) in high temps (June-August).

Cheers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As a consolation, you may get slightly better fuel economy with the higher octane fuel.
But, not, in my experience, enough to make up for the higher price of premium.

Reactions: Van Gogh

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you point to your source for EcoBoost engines requiring premium gasoline? I looked before I ordered my 21MY van and did not find such a recommendation.
This came straight from the order specs sheet from the dealer when I ordered my vehicle.

It's under the Powertrain section where it recommends premium unleaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
I suggest that you follow Ford's offical documents (owner's manual, etc.) on fuel requirements. They design, test, and warranty the van based on what they write there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This came straight from the order specs sheet from the dealer when I ordered my vehicle.

It's under the Powertrain section where it recommends premium unleaded.
Interesting. I would ask the dealer who provided that to you why they are in conflict with Ford's offical owner's manual.

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting. I would ask the dealer who provided that to you why they are in conflict with Ford's offical owner's manual.
Will do. I should have my Transit in the next couple of days. so I will look at the owner's manual and will ask the fleet manager about the grade of gas to use.

Is the 2020 the first year they offered twin turbo on the Transit?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Will do. I should have my Transit in the next couple of days. so I will look at the owner's manual and will ask the fleet manager about the grade of gas to use.

Is the 2020 the first year they offered twin turbo on the Transit?
No. The EcoBoost (twin turbo) predates the USA Transit. It has been offered every year.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I just drove a 2020 T150 MR 148" WB cargo van with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Filled it up down the road from Matt Ford with Shell 87 octane with 5% ethanol. From there to Oklahoma City was 389 miles and with driving 65 MPH to 75 MPH got 13.7 MPG. Filled up with OnCue 91 octane with 0% ethanol and with about the same speed went 227 miles for 16.3 MPG. A few months back I made the same trip with a T-350 LR 12 passenger van and it got 14.6 MPG up to OKC and filled up with the same 91 octane and 0% ethanol and got 18.6 MPG on arriving in Mesquite, TX. I think the difference in fuels can make a difference in performance and fuel mileage.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.