Ford Transit USA Forum banner
381 - 400 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Ordered a 60mm hose for my ducting into the water tank area.
Tire Hood Vehicle Material property Strap

I started the heater and the vent stays closed when the heaters running, I wasn't sure if it would stay closed.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bicycle part
Tire Hood Vehicle Material property Strap

Secured it with zip ties to some 80/20.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Came out pretty good, @Bazz99. Reminds me that I need to post my heater duct routing. I used some 4" and clamped them together; worked well.
Definitely like to see pics of your setup.
The zip ties don't look great but they do the job for now. I might move it to a different location but for now it works fine. My main concern was if I closed the vent would it stay closed or was there too much pressure from the Espar. The vent did stay closed and it also stayed in a partial open position too, so that was good.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,036 Posts
Love it. Planning some sort of boot-warmer tree setup; but currently thinking I'll be able to just passively gather the heat by using a 4" pipe /near/ the current exhaust point. We'll see...

I'll post pics of the ducting and all that shortly. Pretty similar, really. Don't want to mess your thread up with them. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Time to start building some cabinet drawers, edge banding and some laminating. This was part of the build I wasn't sure how to do because there wasn't a lot of information on 80/20 and building cabinets the way I was planning on doing it. There was a lot of trial and error and time wasted but I'm happy with the end result.
Once I got the correct t-nuts and screws the drawer slides went in easy but I did have to do a few adjustment to make the the slides straight. I had to come up with a latch so the drawers would close correctly and stay closed, they're solid and will never slide open when driving. For the door under the sink I was able to use a piano hinge I got from HD and it worked great.
View attachment 140265 View attachment 140267 View attachment 140270 View attachment 140272 View attachment 140273 View attachment 140276 View attachment 140277 View attachment 140279 View attachment 140281 I a
I
Time to start building some cabinet drawers, edge banding and some laminating. This was part of the build I wasn't sure how to do because there wasn't a lot of information on 80/20 and building cabinets the way I was planning on doing it. There was a lot of trial and error and time wasted but I'm happy with the end result.
Once I got the correct t-nuts and screws the drawer slides went in easy but I did have to do a few adjustment to make the the slides straight. I had to come up with a latch so the drawers would close correctly and stay closed, they're solid and will never slide open when driving. For the door under the sink I was able to use a piano hinge I got from HD and it worked great.
View attachment 140265 View attachment 140267 View attachment 140270 View attachment 140272 View attachment 140273 View attachment 140276 View attachment 140277 View attachment 140279 View attachment 140281
Can you explain in more detail the hinge you used for the cabinet door under the sink. I too am having inset wood fronts and am not sure how to do it. You mentioned you used a piano hinge but as I look at your pictures don't see how you did that or how you attached them. Appreciate how you have mapped out your whole build for your fellow builders.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Can you explain in more detail the hinge you used for the cabinet door under the sink. I too am having inset wood fronts and am not sure how to do it. You mentioned you used a piano hinge but as I look at your pictures don't see how you did that or how you attached them.
I also used aluminum piano hinges without holes for the doors in my build with 15 series 80/20.

Bolted one leaf of the hinge to the 80/20 and the other leaf to a 3/4" square wood block that was glued to the back of the 1/2" plywood door. The leaf to the 80/20 has to have a flat washer between the hinge and the 80/20 to compensate for the 80/20 extrusion taper.

Picture of door is first picture in second row of pictures:

Refrigerator | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
I

Can you explain in more detail the hinge you used for the cabinet door under the sink. I too am having inset wood fronts and am not sure how to do it. You mentioned you used a piano hinge but as I look at your pictures don't see how you did that or how you attached them. Appreciate how you have mapped out your whole build for your fellow builders.
I used the piano hinge from Home Depot ( Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 72 in. Bright Nickel Continuous Hinge-16115 - The Home Depot ), they work really well, you just trim them to size. It is a challenge lining up all the t-nuts in the 80/20. Cutting the door to the the correct size and then adding edge banding was another challenge!!
Hope this helps?
Rectangle Flooring Floor Glass Art

sizing the door with edge banding
Wood Floor Flooring Art Rectangle

getting the hinge lined up
Wood Flooring Floor Stairs Automotive exterior

lining up the t-nuts in the 80/20, they kept sliding down but I eventually got it!!
Grille Automotive exterior Mesh Hood Wood

A year later and the door still works great.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It is a challenge lining up all the t-nuts in the 80/20 ... lining up the t-nuts in the 80/20, they kept sliding down but I eventually got it!!
There are various styles of spring loaded T-nuts. There are even ones with set screws.
80-20-Inc-Catalog-23 202 80/20 Inc.
There are cheap knock offs available on Amazon, et.al.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
lining up the t-nuts in the 80/20, they kept sliding down but I eventually got it!!
Instead of T-nuts I used less expensive 2 hole economy nuts. Put a set screw in one of the holes to hold it in place. Put a bolt in other hole to move it and line up the threaded hole to the slot. Then tighten the set screw to keep it in place.

If you want to attach something to the 80/20 that you do not want to rotate then use a 3 hole economy nut. Set screw in center hole and two outer holes for the attachment.

·
Registered
2021 3.7 AWD HR 148
101 Posts
Looks great! Is the benefit of the spray that you end up with a more ‘professional’ look than using a roller? Would you say it’s worth it? (I mean, all this van stuff is first world hobbies so arguably it’s all vanity metrics, but I eventually want a nice looking van…)

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Looks great! Is the benefit of the spray that you end up with a more ‘professional’ look than using a roller? Would you say it’s worth it? (I mean, all this van stuff is first world hobbies so arguably it’s all vanity metrics, but I eventually want a nice looking van…)
I hate roller and brush marks and I've always wanted an airless sprayer. Plus, like Njvagabond it's fun to learn a new tool and I want to try and build some cabinets for the house someday. So I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it. I really should've bought it at the beginning of my build!! Appreciate the feedback!!

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Almost done with the bedroom area. I really wish I put my Espar heater controller in the bed area!!
Furniture Table Cabinetry Wood Interior design
Furniture Property Wood Comfort Building

Both Lagun Tables become the bed platform.
Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

The platform with slots cut into it can be used for taking a shower out the back.
Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Gas

Some storage room under the bed if needed
Property Furniture Light Wood Lighting
Wood Floor Motor vehicle Flooring Machine

This cabinet door will be used at night for a bed side table area
Building Wood Flooring Shelving House

I had to re make the cabinet face frame so the cabinet doors would open when the bed was made
Building Interior design Flooring Wood House
Property Building Flooring Floor House

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Decided to add a shelf to half of my upper kitchen cabinets, it was space that wasn't being used. I figured it would be a quick project but of course it took all afternoon!
Wood Yellow Plank Flooring Hardwood

Added a little edge to keep thinks from falling off the shelf, then I added some edge banding.
Shelf Shelving Fluid Liquid Wood

Added an 80/20 bracket to support the shelf.
Building Wood Shelving Shelf Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Avalanche Grey
430 Posts
Looking great!

I have tried all the t-nuts and prefer the standard for preloading on horizontal pieces and the leaf spring style for vertical pieces or if I have to add later. The leaf spring stays in way better than the ball spring. The set screw ones are too fiddly. Economy are garbage and not even worth considering.

·
Registered
2021 3.7 AWD HR 148
101 Posts
Decided to add a shelf to half of my upper kitchen cabinets, it was space that wasn't being used. I figured it would be a quick project but of course it took all afternoon!
Ha, I'm 3 months into casual van building and have realized that the thing just takes as many hours as I can throw at it. Not sure I can predict task length at all -- I just have to put in the time until a task is done. I'm fine with it but it kind of drives my partner nuts, she can't understand why I'm so stressy about starting early enough and getting enough time in.

Your 80/20 looks very clean. Are you doing "machine it yourself" or "buy pre-cut and pre-machined stuff" ? And if machining yourself, has it been fairly straightforward? I'm considering doing a mixture -- ordering pre-cut/pre-machined stuff for things I absolutely know the size of (like the center of the bed platform) and then cutting/attaching the rest myself.

381 - 400 of 421 Posts