Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
At this point it was time to come up with a floor plane because we were at the point of no turning back. My wife and I changed it a few times and some days I just spent hours standing in the van looking at it and wondering how this was all going to get done? Did I bite off more than I could handle, those YouTube video's make it look so easy!!
I wanted to use 80/20 because after a lot of research I felt you would make a real solid build but I've never worked with it before. Just trying to place an order took days of planning, that stuffs expensive and cost a ton to ship!! I wanted to try and place an accurate order but figuring it all out was very challenging for me!! So, I decided to try and build out one side first with 80/20 and if I didn't like it I could always build the rest with wood.
My plan was to build a kitchen unit to get familiar with cutting and fastening the 80/20 and try to minimize mistakes and wasting material.
My order arrived and I was a little disappointed after unpacking it and seeing a lot of little nicks and scraps!!
20200708_105033.jpg
20200708_105042.jpg
20200708_105045.jpg
20200708_105055.jpg

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally my nut and bolts arrived and I quickly realized I was going to have to start making a lot of the fasteners myself or I would go broke buying them from 80/20!! I have ordered a lot of stuff off to Tnutz ( TNUTZ | Your leader in T-Slotted Aluminum Hardware & ComponentsTNUTZ | Your leader in T-Slotted Aluminum Hardware & Components ) they seem to have the best prices.

I got my blade off of Amazon and it does a great job cutting the 80/20 with no need to sand off and edges after the cut!!

Here's the aluminum I bought to make the corner brackets. Amazon.com: 8221, Aluminum Angle Profile 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.25" x 48" Long: Industrial & Scientific

Bolts: Amazon.com: Zinc Carriage Bolt 5/16" x 3/4": Home Improvement

Lock Nuts: Amazon.com: Hillman Nylon Insert Lock Nuts 5/16 " Zinc Coarse Steel 100 / Box: Health & Personal Care
They work great but you really need to plan everything out because you can't slide in the bolts once you start putting things together!! That's where the learning curve came in and trust me I screwed up a lot!!

I realized all my 80/20 cuts had to be perfect so I built a miter station to help with the accuracy of my cuts. I just realized I didn't take many pictures of the miter station so I'll post more later today. I did put a cardboard box around the miter station because the aluminum chips go EVERYWHERE!! At first I clamped everything down but the cuts were coming out so nice eventually I stopped using the clamps and I've had no issues.
20200708_140505.jpg
20200719_132406.jpg
20200708_140505.jpg
20200719_132406.jpg

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Time to try and build the kitchen area........................ the cuts all came out great but I made many mistakes that I didn't realize to later on. My top end piece was showing the open end of the 80/20 and that didn't look good. I wouldn't catch this till a week later and had to recut some 80/20 to fix it.
20200708_183632.jpg

20200708_183640.jpg
20200708_183642.jpg
20200708_183648.jpg
20200708_183704.jpg
20200709_120115.jpg

20200709_121500.jpg
20200709_175243.jpg

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At this point, I think just to build the kitchen unit I used over 50 fasteners and bolts!! So I went to HD and got some angled aluminum and tried to make some fasteners. After making about 50 of them I decided to see if they would work? NOPE, they were too easy to bend once they were attached to the 80/20 and I wouldn't get the perfect 90 degree angles I was getting from the factory fasteners. Plus, they were too thin, I guess I could add a washer on each one but I decided it was time to do more research!! This was the beginning of having to learn about all types of Aluminum and different size bolts and things called tnuts.................................. and time to order a drill press if I want to continue with the 80/20!!
20200710_152923.jpg
20200719_130833.jpg

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here are a few more pictures of the miter station I built. I also added blue tape to my miter saw table top help prevent any additional damage to the 80/20. After each cut i had to vacuum up all the small pieces of aluminum to prevent scratching the next cut.
I can easily move it on to my work bench or use it on the ground.
20200911_095417.jpg
20200911_095408.jpg

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Recommend you go back to clamping the 89/20 with chop saw.

I did not clamp until the day I was cutting a short length of angle that jammed in the blade and threw the piece of angle across the barn and destroyed the saw blade by removing about 10 teeth from the blade. Fortunately I only got a small cut on my hand and my fingers were still attached. I now have religion about clamping.

I made most of my own connectors from 3/16" thick angle and flat extrusions. Used 5/16" carriage bolts to bolt connectors to the series 15 80/20. Holes in angles must be 1" from the apex of the 1 1/2" angles so nuts do not hit each other.

Some hints about using 80/20 and how to reduce the cost of using extrusions::

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Recommend you go back to clamping the 89/20 with chop saw.

I did not clamp until the day I was cutting a short length of angle that jammed in the blade and threw the piece of angle across the barn and destroyed the saw blade by removing about 10 teeth from the blade. Fortunately I only got a small cut on my hand and my fingers were still attached. I now have religion about clamping.

I made most of my own connectors from 3/16" thick angle and flat extrusions. Used 5/16" carriage bolts to bolt connectors to the series 15 80/20. Holes in angles must be 1" from the apex of the 1 1/2" angles so nuts do not hit each other.

Some hints about using 80/20 and how to reduce the cost of using extrusions::

Appreciate the feedback!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The next project was to install the flooring, since I'll be using this van for skiing a lot I wanted a rubber type floor so I used this stuff.
Are you happy with the coin matt? Does it have a rubbery non-skid feel? I've heard some complain that it feels more like hard plastic. I'm thinking of using it in the garage space under the bed.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Are you happy with the coin matt? Does it have a rubbery non-skid feel? I've heard some complain that it feels more like hard plastic. I'm thinking of using it in the garage space under the bed.
I really like it, to me it feels more like rubber. I did see a van with a really cheap thin one installed and it looked awful. I would think it would be perfect for the garage area.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depends what brand you get. I purchased a "G-Floor" branded one from Home Depot, which I believe some other van specific companies resell, and from the smell, it's likely PVC or some vinyl. Works out for me, since I'm parking motorcycles on it and was looking for some extra durability. It has a denser, offset pattern, versus this which is more square.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 148 Mid Roof Crew AWD 3.5
45 Posts
Does sound deadening work as well with about only 50% coverage?
I installed the Noico stuff after a researching it, it was recommended to get between 30-40 % coverage. It then becomes a lesson of decreasing returns on investment. You can add as much as you like, but the bulk of the sound deadening is already done. The thinner Kittimat requires more coverage. I guess that's why you see nearly complete coverage with the Kittimat stuff. Mixing up sound deadening materials has been proven to decrease a greater range of sound generating frequencies. If I was living out of a van or driving frequently higher milage trips, I would likely go greater than 50%, but as a weekender, nah.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 148 Mid Roof Crew AWD 3.5
45 Posts
Time to try and build the kitchen area........................ the cuts all came out great but I made many mistakes that I didn't realize to later on. My top end piece was showing the open end of the 80/20 and that didn't look good. I wouldn't catch this till a week later and had to recut some 80/20 to fix it.
View attachment 139681
View attachment 139682 View attachment 139683 View attachment 139684 View attachment 139685 View attachment 139686
View attachment 139687 View attachment 139688
I must say that you have a nice plan going and have some quality skills. I am still just a hack. but improving. Kudos that you were able to use your compound mitre saw. I couldn't get the back fence and blade trued up enough to 90 degrees to be happy. Got lucky a few times lately with my purchases, and managed to pick up a new metal chop saw for 50% off, but it came with an abrasive cutting wheel. I tried that for a bunch of cuts, and realized after going back to YouTube, that a proper aluminum blade was better. Not only cuts faster and cleaner, its more accurate. I was at about 3/32 of an inch variance with abrasive wheel and now about 1/32 when cutting various same length pieces with a proper aluminum cutting blade. Proper blade comes out clean and requires almost zero filing. I can stand a 2ft piece up vertically on a level table and it will stay. Perfect cut.
The bed I made is from 10 series, and thinking if I did it again, I might go 15 series. I have a mid roof and I am trying to maximize garage height and ceiling clearance above bed so the 1 inch saves some height. The one thing that is great with the 1 inch is the measuring and math.
I am trying a variety of self made connectors with the various ones from Amazon. So far the t nut and gusset style and not impressing me. They are small and finicky and after installing literally 60 or more of them, unless the t nut is perfectly aligned it comes loose and adds to the rattles. Every day, I go and recheck looking for the ones that came loose. PIA. Final install will have thread locker and more of those inside corner braces, rather than gussets. I plan on using thread locker.

I look forward to seeing more of your build. Nice Job

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I must say that you have a nice plan going and have some quality skills. I am still just a hack. but improving. Kudos that you were able to use your compound mitre saw. I couldn't get the back fence and blade trued up enough to 90 degrees to be happy. Got lucky a few times lately with my purchases, and managed to pick up a new metal chop saw for 50% off, but it came with an abrasive cutting wheel. I tried that for a bunch of cuts, and realized after going back to YouTube, that a proper aluminum blade was better. Not only cuts faster and cleaner, its more accurate. I was at about 3/32 of an inch variance with abrasive wheel and now about 1/32 when cutting various same length pieces with a proper aluminum cutting blade. Proper blade comes out clean and requires almost zero filing. I can stand a 2ft piece up vertically on a level table and it will stay. Perfect cut.
The bed I made is from 10 series, and thinking if I did it again, I might go 15 series. I have a mid roof and I am trying to maximize garage height and ceiling clearance above bed so the 1 inch saves some height. The one thing that is great with the 1 inch is the measuring and math.
I am trying a variety of self made connectors with the various ones from Amazon. So far the t nut and gusset style and not impressing me. They are small and finicky and after installing literally 60 or more of them, unless the t nut is perfectly aligned it comes loose and adds to the rattles. Every day, I go and recheck looking for the ones that came loose. PIA. Final install will have thread locker and more of those inside corner braces, rather than gussets. I plan on using thread locker.

I look forward to seeing more of your build. Nice Job
Appreciate the feedback, there's definitely a learning curve! Glad I don't have a deadline but I would like to have it done by ski season! Sounds like your build is going well, any pictures?
I think I recall OurKaravan saying he started with 10 Series and switched to 15 Series.
I haven't had any come loose yet but maybe I need to keep an eye on that!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts