Ford Transit USA Forum banner
321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
I was thinking the same thing too? I guess the only reason I would remove them would be to put in a window. I'm guessing they would be hard to remove but maybe with a heat gun thy would come off. That glue definitely sticks!!

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Finished up the door panel. The last piece was tricky, the shiplap gap was off with the larger panel so I used my table saw to gradually cut away to make the gap closer to the same size.
Brown Road surface Rectangle Wood Beige

The bottom panel gap was a different size than the larger panel so I had to cut it down to make it fit correctly.
Rectangle Wood Grey Flooring Floor

You can see the gap difference on the top panel.
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive mirror
Building Fixture Window Wood Gas

It lined up ok.

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
108 Posts
Built a small shelf/cabinet above the bench/bed area. Edge Banding was definitely a challenge around the corners of the shelf. I had to add extra glue and tape the edge banding on over night so it would stick. Under the cabinet we added lights and a few USB ports. I also added a small touch light switch and a reading light. Ulincos Touch Switch UT19Z11 Latching Switch DC 6V to 24V Blue LED ON When Switch ON, Suitable for 19mm 3/4" Mounting Hole - - Amazon.com

I started cutting the laminate with utility knife, it takes longer but you get a better cut
On the walls I put up some shiplap I got at Home Depot and then I trimmed it out and painted it.

View attachment 140325
Super nice. What did you use to cover the D pillar?

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Made a cutting board to fit in the sink, it was a fun project. It was too smokey to work outside on the van, so this was a project I could do in the garage.
Wood Table Yellow Tire Rectangle

This hole saw drill fit the corner well so I used it to trace the corners.
Wood Rectangle Table Material property Wood stain

Nice tight fit, time to start sanding.
Wood Table Rectangle Flooring Floor
Tap Sink Bathroom sink Plumbing fixture Countertop
Sink Tap Kitchen sink Plumbing fixture Rectangle

Used a router on the edges and cut out a small notch to make it easy to lift it out.
Tap Plumbing fixture Countertop Kitchen sink Sink
Table Furniture Liquid Bottle Tire

This to add a few coats of cutting board oil.

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
108 Posts
I just framed the cabinet around it to maximize space.
Sorry. I’m asking about the gray fabric covering the D pillar. What type of fabric is it and how did you adhere it? I’m scratching my head on how to cover this pillar in my build.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Sorry. I’m asking about the gray fabric covering the D pillar. What type of fabric is it and how did you adhere it? I’m scratching my head on how to cover this pillar in my build.
Oppps my bad! I'll post a link to the fabric tonight. I used that 3M 90 spray glue, it worked well. If I had more experience doing that it would've came out better but I got a few wrinkles. I'm thinking about framing it out with wood at the top?

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
I've been traveling around the West in the van so I haven't had any time to post. I did finish the cutting board and it's working out great.
Countertop Kitchen sink Tap Sink Tableware

Tap Kitchen sink Sink Plumbing fixture Bathroom sink

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
I needed to make another platform for the bed and I also needed something to stand on when I use the outside shower so I decided to try and combine them both.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Plank

I used biscuits to join 3 pieces of scrap wood from the cutting board project
Wood Yellow Line Flooring Creative arts

Clamped it up with the few clamps I have.
Wood Floor Flooring Toy Gas

Made some bottom legs so when I shower it won't be sitting on the ground.
Wood Table Audio equipment Wood stain Hardwood

I used a router to cut out the grooves.
Furniture Rectangle Wood Interior design Flooring

Fits great and it's very solid too
Building Wood Flooring Hall Floor

Brown Plant Wood Rectangle Flooring

worked great on our trip after a few coats Shallac, the picture above was after one coat.
Property Table Furniture Wood Rectangle

The 2 end pieces are table tops for Lagun tables. I have a small board that fits at the end so the mattress is supported.
Furniture Table Wood Flooring Rectangle

The bench cushions fit on top to make the bed, it's a really tight fit so you don't feel the seam. Once we made the bed we left it in place most of the trip.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Did a little trip in the van, we left Tahoe and drove down to Vegas for a few days. It took one tank to get there, we averaged around 17 MPG. We drove to a Costco for gas and GPS took us a few miles away and the dummy light came on and it went to ZERO miles till empty. We had to drive a few more miles to the Costco, the tank took 30.3 gallons!! Hopefully I never do that again but I did want to test it!!
Sky Car Vehicle Ecoregion Tire

Whenever we go to Vegas we like to visit The Valley of Fire, it's only about an hour drive from the Strip.
Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Road surface
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Land vehicle
Sky Atmosphere World Light Balloon

Next stop was Beach Life music festival on Redondo Beach!!
World Fawn Toy Fun Stuffed toy

Then we left the van at airport parking and flew up to Seattle for a few Red Sox games.
Tableware Drinkware Table Food Liquid

We flew back to LA and the van was still there!!LOL Started driving up the coast of California and visiting breweries and beaches.
Sky Water Naval architecture Fixture Boat

Tire Wheel Water Land vehicle Sky

Water Sky Cloud Terrain Travel

Ended the trip a few days short because Yosemite was still closed unless you had a reservation.
Everything on the van worked great!! The showers out the back were amazing with hot water!! The Isothem Fridge is a life saver and using a blender to make drinks was awesome!! The sleeping area in our van is a little narrow but we're getting used to it. After some hiking the A/C was a must and amazing!! It got so cold we would have to turn it off and in Vegas it was 120 degrees out!! Overall gas mileage was 16.5 MPG

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Then we left the van at airport parking and flew up to Seattle for a few Red Sox games.No
Nicely put. No comments about last nights Mets game, please. Now, about those yellow marathon uniforms?
Nice photos. Nature/music/baseball/brewpubs, that about covers it.
Did you end up using the rooftop unit while driving or only did you only use it on shore power?
Curious about any feedback on the ability of the alternator/Vicrton to run it.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Nicely put. No comments about last nights Mets game, please. Now, about those yellow marathon uniforms?
Nice photos. Nature/music/baseball/brewpubs, that about covers it.
Did you end up using the rooftop unit while driving or only did you only use it on shore power?
Curious about any feedback on the ability of the alternator/Vicrton to run it.
LOL!! Agree those Red Sox yellow uniforms are bad!! But the Sox are playing good!! Now if they just sweep the Yankees this weekend!!
We only used the roof A/C when parked and ran it off the batteries, we didn't use any shore power this trip. We'd typically run it for a half hour and then turn it off because it was too cold. However, once you went up front it was hot!! So it cools off the back great and that was why we bought it. I didn't get any specs off the app when it was running but the batteries never went below 80%.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
But the Sox are playing good!! Now if they just sweep the Yankees this weekend!!
I'm on your side there! Other than when the abomination of interleague play creates an unfortunate situation, I root for the Mets and whoever is playing against the Yankees. Thanks for the info on the A/C that sounds like good news should I decide to go down that path.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
I'm on your side there! Other than when the abomination of interleague play creates an unfortunate situation, I root for the Mets and whoever is playing against the Yankees. Thanks for the info on the A/C that sounds like good news should I decide to go down that path.
And the A/C unit was probably the easiest thing I've installed on the van!
Somewhere outside of Vegas my wife wanted to stop at a ghost town and it was literally 120 degrees out! I said go for it! I stayed in the back of the van, turned on the A/C and drank a few brews!
Output device Plant Cloud Communication Device Gadget

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
And the A/C unit was probably the easiest thing I've installed on the van!
Somewhere outside of Vegas my wife wanted to stop at a ghost town and it was literally 120 degrees out! I said go for it! I stayed in the back of the van, turned on the A/C and drank a few brews!
Yikes! 121 degrees . I never thought of the day use of an A/C. I figured that it would mostly be beneficial for overnight if there was shore power or some limited use off grid with batteries. But since we hope to use the van to chase milder weather, daytime use might be the biggest benefit.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Yikes! 121 degrees . I never thought of the day use of an A/C. I figured that it would mostly be beneficial for overnight if there was shore power or some limited use off grid with batteries. But since we hope to use the van to chase milder weather, daytime use might be the biggest benefit.
Ya, we like to use it at music festival and during the day we use the AC to relax! Due to Covid I haven't taken it to High Sierra Music Festival yet but next summer it'll be a good test for the AC, it can get up to 100 in the late afternoon into early evening. So AC is a must!

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Finally started working on finishing off the ceiling today.
Table Wood Font Art Flooring

3M spray glue worked great.
Outerwear Safety glove Glove Sleeve Wood

Sprayed on the glue.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Window Mode of transport Automotive exterior

I had to cut the foam block down to fit.
Automotive design Comfort Automotive exterior Tints and shades Personal luxury car

This side came out pretty good but a lot of the imperfections will be hidden by the ceiling and the finish piece.

321 - 340 of 372 Posts