Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, you're correct. The little boxes next to each wheel show how much power/torque is being delivered to your wheels at the current moment. It's actually fun to have up and drive around with, you can see how it's constantly cycling torque to the wheels. Maybe I'm weird, as I enjoy seeing that from time-to-time. I should probably have that up when I do the drive modes video. This information screen is on all Intelligent AWD vehicles from Ford. Different ways to get to it for each vehicle but overall very similar. It's always in the settings section in that same screen.

Mud/rut mode does shut off traction control. I haven't played with that mode enough but I do know it turns that off.

Glad to hear how your travels went!
If you're weird, then we are all probably weird. The more info the better we say. Keep it weird!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're weird, then we are all probably weird. The more info the better we say. Keep it weird!
Thanks! I'm doing my best to keep cranking more and more out. Shooting a lot of video today.

Heads up, doing a dimensional video of a 2020 Transit 350 HD AWD Extended Dually coming out today. It's gonna be a shorter video and hopefully well help answer questions how much spaces is in side this chassis.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am planning on doing a video with the Sprinter, Promaster, Transit against each other in real live scenarios. IF any of you have ideas, feel free to submit, I've got a long word doc of ideas.

I will admit the AWD transit is really an impressive platform with what it can do. The Sprinter has advantages and disadvantages. Depending on where you want to go, will decide your best chassis option. From my perspective, pretty much everyone would be fine with the AWD Transit and not a Sprinter. Reality is, the AWD can go about 95% of the places people want to take it. The advantage to the Sprinter is it is true 4x4 and you can put on 33" to go into those really technical places. But really though most people won't do that and aren't going to do that. A major limitation the Sprinter has verse the Transit is that the Sprinter can only deliver 40% of the torque to the front wheels. The Transit can deliver 100%. Which will make all the difference between being stuck and not stuck. I have gotten an AWD transit stuck already and the only reason was because of the tires and it was completely empty. It would have been the same if not worse, with the Sprinter if given it was empty and on the same tires.
Since you've offered for us to submit ideas, I have one. For one, the Sprinter is not at all a "true 4x4." It has an open center differential and a 35/65 torque split (actually its 33/67). It's also a non-locking center diff, so its Achilles heel is that when presented with a scenario with little to no traction at the rear wheels, it is unable to send power to the front. Meanwhile the Transit can apportion torque. I'd like to see the two vans up against each other in this scenario. Rear tires on rollers (like shown in another video where the Ford was able to keep climbing), or a soft hill climb where the sprinter demonstrates that it turns the front wheels up to the point where the rear loses traction, then you see no further movement/effort from the fronts. This comparison would make a great video!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since you've offered for us to submit ideas, I have one. For one, the Sprinter is not at all a "true 4x4." It has an open center differential and a 35/65 torque split (actually its 33/67). It's also a non-locking center diff, so its Achilles heel is that when presented with a scenario with little to no traction at the rear wheels, it is unable to send power to the front. Meanwhile the Transit can apportion torque. I'd like to see the two vans up against each other in this scenario. Rear tires on rollers (like shown in another video where the Ford was able to keep climbing), or a soft hill climb where the sprinter demonstrates that it turns the front wheels up to the point where the rear loses traction, then you see no further movement/effort from the fronts. This comparison would make a great video!
I can tell you, this is in the works. Because this is a hot topic and a lot of people want to see it, I'm going to spend a fair bit of time on it as I don't want to disappoint anyone.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts