Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having an issue with excessive steering wheel shake below 10 mph while turning the steering wheel? It doesn't feel like a tire balance issue... it feels like the electronic power-assisted steering is in between on/off and causes an obvious back and forth shake in the steering wheel. It's extremely annoying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I haven't noticed that but I have had "steering assist fault" come up on the cluster 4 times. Restarting the vehicle clears it. Dealer has not been able to reproduce.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same thing. It feels similar to the shake you get during the Lane Assist warning. It annoys me slightly but more worries me. I can ignore it if expected and normal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It sounds like the Lane Keeping steering wheel vibration alert. I immediately turned mine to low or off if it had off. I think they called the setting intensity.

I haven't experienced anything besides that, and I've done many slow sharp turns up and down hills.

UPDATE: I was either not paying close enough attention or just thought that was normal van behavior (have not owned giant AWD van before), because after reading this thread (also after the lift) I realized I had this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It sounds like the Lane Keeping steering wheel vibration alert. I immediately turned mine to low or off if it had off. I think they called the setting intensity.

I haven't experienced anything besides that, and I've done many slow sharp turns up and down hills.
It feels similar but worse... but I have mine turned off.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have any of you experiencing the shaking ever driven a four wheel drive vehicle with locking differentials on pavement and made low speed turns (by low speed I mean turned the front wheels more in one direction than you would at higher speed). The locked diffs cause the inside wheel to spin and the outside wheel to slip, which causes the steering wheel to move this and that way. This is more noticeable the more the front wheels are turned off center.

I drove a ford explorer back in the 90s that when in automatic 4 wheel drive, prob the forerunner of AWD, did that annoyingly esp when thurning at near lock, like maneuvering in/out of a parking spot. Had to turn off auto 4 WD to stop it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Have any of you experiencing the shaking ever driven a four wheel drive vehicle with locking differentials on pavement and made low speed turns (by low speed I mean turned the front wheels more in one direction than you would at higher speed). The locked diffs cause the inside wheel to spin and the outside wheel to slip, which causes the steering wheel to move this and that way. This is more noticeable the more the front wheels are turned off center.

I drove a ford explorer back in the 90s that when in automatic 4 wheel drive, prob the forerunner of AWD, did that annoyingly esp when thurning at near lock, like maneuvering in/out of a parking spot. Had to turn off auto 4 WD to stop it.
We just have limited slip, which I believe shouldn't engage on dry pavement while turning. But I haven't noticed this yet, so either I'm just not sensitive to it, or some vehicles have an issue.

UPDATE: shortly after posting this I started paying attention to the wheel and sure enough it was shaking noticeably at low speeds.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I am a fleet manager and drive professionally. I know the feeling of a steering wheel shake in 4wd. My '75 Bronco does it in low on pavement and it does not have locking diffs. The feeling in the van is completely different. Almost an electronic vibration at slow speeds and at highway speeds the steering wheel shakes like the wheels are unbalanced.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We just have limited slip, which I believe shouldn't engage on dry pavement while turning. But I haven't noticed this yet, so either I'm just not sensitive to it, or some vehicles have an issue.
Understood. The explorer I drove likely did not have a locking front diff either, but w/ auto 4wd turned on, the front wheels would spin/slide in parking lot maneuvers just as if it was a locking diff. That was back in the 90s, haha. Given ford has had transmission issues since i started driving in the 70s, and still do to this day, i’d not expect they’d have fixed the explorer issue i experienced in the 90s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a fleet manager and have owned over 30 cars over the past 15 years. Most have been 4wd or AWD. My steering wheel shakes at highway speed and vibrates at low speed. Today it pulled my driver into oncoming traffic. There was no accident. It is back at the dealership.

I have never felt a AWD car feel like a 4WD car while turning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a fleet manager and have owned over 30 cars over the past 15 years. Most have been 4wd or AWD. My steering wheel shakes at highway speed and vibrates at low speed. Today it pulled my driver into oncoming traffic. There was no accident. It is back at the dealership.

Crazy... was lane assist turned off?

·
Registered
493 Posts

Dont have as much vehicle experience as you. But i do have the experience of a mid 90s ford explorer which had a knob to select 2wd, 4wd low/hi and auto 4wd. In auto 4wd on dry pavement it wld do what folks are experiencing in this thread. That is, it acts like a locked diff in the front axle at low speeds and large steering angles. Solution was leave it in 2 wd till u needed 4, then select 4 hi.

·
Registered
2020 AWD 250 Crew HR 148"
69 Posts
Mine is incredibly bad especially now that I had the lift installed. It was definitely there before the but mainly in my driveway, very low speeds and in parking lots.

This is NOT a 4wd / differential shake like your 1997 Jeep had. This is an electronic vibration that you get like with the lane assist.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Steamboater, I have the AWD with the lift also and am still experiencing the vibration. I agree it seems like it’s the electronic assist basically working all the time.

Does anyone have a diagnosis or solution yet?

·
Registered
2020 AWD 250 Crew HR 148"
69 Posts
Steamboater, I have the AWD with the lift also and am still experiencing the vibration. I agree it seems like it’s the electronic assist basically working all the time.

Does anyone have a diagnosis or solution yet?
No solution yet, my van drives like a piece of ****. I am having huge issues with my VC lift / suspension (clanks / bangs over almost any decent size bump) plus the vibration issue is constant. Have appt with local dealer in about 2 weeks just to get it logged but since I already have all these other issues going on I think I'm screwed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts