Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My van finally arrived, i picked it up at the dealer Saturday with 23 miles on it. We will be building it as a ski camper with summer mountain bike use also in mind. The current plan is to use foam board on the floor with a hydronic radiant floor loop, using the espar coolant heater. Has anyone else done that on here?
because its for winter and want the highest r value we have decided to spray foam the walls and ceilings.

what do people typically do for ski storage? i don't see too many vans built with storage for ski's in mind, but i'm sure there are people using vans for skiing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My van I have basically a full width bed, north south. Then the spare space alongside the bed I have cabinets and fully in the back I left it open and have a space for the skis standing up. I hope that is clear but no pictures because I'm not completely done yet.

Also insulation was a large concern for me too so I attached 1 inch polyiso on the inside with ribs going vertically and attached 1/4 siding for the walls and some insulation behind that inside the walls

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds nice I look forward to seeing some pictures. I plan to get a ski rack that mounts to the trailer hitch of the van and store my skis on that. I ski camped in a small motorhome for years, the big thing is what to do with all the wet clothes and how where to hang them to dry, and how to dry gloves, and boots.

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds nice I look forward to seeing some pictures. I plan to get a ski rack that mounts to the trailer hitch of the van and store my skis on that. I ski camped in a small motorhome for years, the big thing is what to do with all the wet clothes and how where to hang them to dry, and how to dry gloves, and boots.
I have been ski camping for 10 years, its just been much more primitive setups without heat, had a setup in a Silverado, then a AWD Chevy express. I am going to have a "boot locker" with boot driers wired into this van. in the older setups, i would put the gloves on the dash, and let the defroster dry them out. we always had a drive somewhere, so it worked. I might just have some extra plugs for more boot driers on this one.

I plan to store the ski's inside, but am not sure if i will do vertical like what dinocarsfast is talking about, or lay them down lengthwise.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Spray foam can buckle the sheet metal. Recommend lots of research on that aspect.
I would second this, make sure the product you are using is okay for small space use. Not only can it have an impact on the metal but there is also a chance smell/off gas from the material which is more noticeable in a small space. Also, I've heard if you go this route you may find it challenging time someone willing to do body work on the van should it need repairs down the road.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
There are some low temperature dehumidifiers that might help for drying clothes. I haven't tried them but out but for areas that tend to have a lot of moisture / aerosols droplets it might be interesting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok so you know all the issues with the cold wet weather, boot dryers are a must I would diffenately put in those extra plugs. I think they make some 12 volt boot dyers might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 250 AWD HR Ecoboost camper
26 Posts
easy ski storage was was at the top of my list for my build.i did a north south bed up high and have a tone of room.the camper queen mattress is 75” long so it’s plenty long for the 180 cm I use.on the passenger side I have a shelf so I have 19” wide x 12” tall on the top and 9” wide on the bottom because of the wheel well.i just went and put skies in,it fit the whole quiver 8 pairs For my wife and I.

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so you know all the issues with the cold wet weather, boot dryers are a must I would diffenately put in those extra plugs. I think they make some 12 volt boot dyers might be worth looking into.
I have 2 pairs of these, they work well, but need some time. you can easily run them overnight and have dry boots in the morning.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 148" HR 3.5L EcoBoost
47 Posts
I have 2 pairs of these, they work well, but need some time. you can easily run them overnight and have dry boots in the morning.
I have used those same boot dryers for 4 years now. Takes time but they work great and don't draw a ton of power or get so hot to affect the liners.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
320 Posts
what do people typically do for ski storage?
Granted, I don't actually have a van in my possession yet, but I have been working on our garage layout quite a bit. After dozens of iterations, this is my current plan.

Like your layout, I plan to put a pair of drawers under the bed at the rear of the van. One of the drawers will hold bikes and/or skis (depending on the trip). I plan to mount the drawer as far to the rear of the van as possible. Without a van in my possession, however, I'm not sure what that exact location is. I plan to use 60" Fulterer drawer slides. I haven't finalized the length, width, and height of the drawer. I want to keep the bikes as low as possible, so I hope to setup the drawer to minimize its offset above the floor.

The ski pairs will be nested such that they alternate tips forward or rearward from bottom to top. This allows the heel and toe pieces of the bindings to clear each other, minimizing the total vertical spacing. The vertical supports are 15-series 8020. The horizontal supports will be 10-series 8020 or similar (L-shaped extrusion, maybe). A short bungee cord will hold each pair of skis in place so they don't rattle or fall off.

Here are a few images of a mockup in our living room (excuse the background mess) and of the CAD model that I'm building. The black boxes on the skis represent toe and heel bindings. There are two pairs of 190-cm skis (mine) and two pairs of 170-cm skis (my wife's). I modeled two pairs of our powder skis (widest, longest, most rocker) just to make sure that we have some wiggle room with future ski purchases. In the photos, the skis are literally resting on each other. In the CAD model, there is a 1" gap between each pair of skis (heel binding to top sheet). Hope this helps!

If you don't mind, I have a few questions about your design...
  • What is the dimension from the center seam of the C pillar to the rear-most face of your drawer?
  • How were you able to mount the two inner drawer slides back to back?
  • How did you mount the inner drawer slides to the floor?
skis stacked atop each other

side view of bindings nested with each other

checking clearance between skis and handlebars of shortest bike (wife's bike), but plan to put skis beside largest bike (my bike)

skis on simplified ski rack

side view showing detail of the spacings of bindings and skis

skis and bikes arranged on drawer with 60" Fulterer drawer slides

skis and bikes in garage area beneath E-W bed with flares (NOTE: cross section view makes passenger rear wheel well appear a bit odd)

rear view of bike drawer in the van

Reactions: Xprmntl

·
Registered
2020 148wb AWD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Granted, I don't actually have a van in my possession yet, but I have been working on our garage layout quite a bit. After dozens of iterations, this is my current plan.

Like your layout, I plan to put a pair of drawers under the bed at the rear of the van. One of the drawers will hold bikes and/or skis (depending on the trip). I plan to mount the drawer as far to the rear of the van as possible. Without a van in my possession, however, I'm not sure what that exact location is. I plan to use 60" Fulterer drawer slides. I haven't finalized the length, width, and height of the drawer. I want to keep the bikes as low as possible, so I hope to setup the drawer to minimize its offset above the floor.

The ski pairs will be nested such that they alternate tips forward or rearward from bottom to top. This allows the heel and toe pieces of the bindings to clear each other, minimizing the total vertical spacing. The vertical supports are 15-series 8020. The horizontal supports will be 10-series 8020 or similar (L-shaped extrusion, maybe). A short bungee cord will hold each pair of skis in place so they don't rattle or fall off.

Here are a few images of a mockup in our living room (excuse the background mess) and of the CAD model that I'm building. The black boxes on the skis represent toe and heel bindings. There are two pairs of 190-cm skis (mine) and two pairs of 170-cm skis (my wife's). I modeled two pairs of our powder skis (widest, longest, most rocker) just to make sure that we have some wiggle room with future ski purchases. In the photos, the skis are literally resting on each other. In the CAD model, there is a 1" gap between each pair of skis (heel binding to top sheet). Hope this helps!

If you don't mind, I have a few questions about your design...
  • What is the dimension from the center seam of the C pillar to the rear-most face of your drawer?
skis stacked atop each other
View attachment 153604

side view of bindings nested with each other
View attachment 153605

checking clearance between skis and handlebars of shortest bike (wife's bike), but plan to put skis beside largest bike (my bike)
View attachment 153606

skis on simplified ski rack
View attachment 153607

side view showing detail of the spacings of bindings and skis
View attachment 153608

skis and bikes arranged on drawer with 60" Fulterer drawer slides
View attachment 153609

skis and bikes in garage area beneath E-W bed with flares (NOTE: cross section view makes passenger rear wheel well appear a bit odd)
View attachment 153610

rear view of bike drawer in the van
View attachment 153611
where did you get the cad model for the transit?

• here are some pictures of the back with the drawer, you could probably go a little closer to the door, but i plan to put some storage organizer on the door for small things.
    • I used L brackets from the hardware store, and bolted them together, I had to shorten the nut/ bolt package a little to make it slide, but not enough to be worrisome, you could also probably just buy some lower profile nuts from mcmaster, but i made do with what a had on hand and a little time on the belt sander.
  • for ski's i ended up making a vertical drawer slide, not completely finished in this picture, but it also holds an EZ up and some chairs nicely. should provide room for up to 6 pairs of ski's. it makes the bed a little narrower, but used the same mattress we were using in the previous van, so its enough space for us. also gave us space for ski boot storage, and a little closet in front of the slide in the cab area of the van.
  • ski boot shelf's and hanging closet with outlets for boot driers, and a switch to turn on and off the lights from outside the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
320 Posts
where did you get the cad model for the transit?
Whoa! Thanks a TON for the detailed reply!!! Very, very nice work on your layout. You have given me a ton of things to consider now. That vertical ski storage never even occurred to me as an option. Kudos on your creative thinking. Thanks especially for taking the measurement that I requested. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Regarding the CAD model for the Transit, I was very lucky that the Ford BBAS was willing to send me the CAD files for the cargo area. I reached out to them via the BBAS website. Unfortunately, others have not has as much luck as I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts