Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 2020 3.5 EcoBoost engine is direct-injected, but I thought I read somewhere that to combat the carbon build up on the valve covers they were going to release an Ecoboost with both port and direct injection. Can anyone speak more to this? I thought it happened when they went from gen1 to gen2 EcoBoost engines around 2017. But, I cannot find anything on this online. Did they release this engine in the f-150s and it never made its way to the transits and transits are still using gen1 Ecoboost engines? Am I making things up? Did they do something else to address this issue? Thanks. -M

·
Registered
335 Posts
The ongoing conversation is not definitive that the 2020 is Gen 2. There are VIN numbers that traditionally indicate Gen 1 and then there are reports of 2020 VINs with other designations that might indicate Gen 2. And then there is your data sheet which has appeared in past threads. While there are some in both corners it has not been put to bed with difinitive observations at this time. Does it matter? That is even more unsure.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The ecoboost wiki states the 2015+ Transit have 3.5L Ecoboost 1st gen. The VIN confirms this.The 2nd gen ecoboost came out for the F150, Expedition and Navigator in 2017. Not yet released in the Transit.

Show me a 2020 3.5L Ecoboost VIN without a "G" in the 8th position of the VIN. I'll wait. The G indicates a 1st gen ecoboost.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts