Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this question wasn't answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. My 2019 Ford Transit 250 cargo van has two handles on the rear door, the funny thumb hole one near the bottom of the door, and a regular pull-out one just below the window, as you would see in a passenger van. But the regular pull-out one is not connected to anything. I took off the trim piece and the plastic piece and looked in there, and they both have cables coming out of them, like shifter cables on a bike. I just can't figure out either (1) how to undo the cable connecting to the door opening mechanism from the thumb hole handle so I can connect the regular handle one instead, or (2) if there's another spot in there where the regular handle one gets added in. I've seen so many posts about making your own handles - does anyone else have a van like mine?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,298 Posts
Both of those work on my rear door. Either yours came off, or someone has been in there and didn't reassemble it properly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like someone installed the wagon door handle into a cargo van and didn't realize there would be a 2-into-1 adapter plate required to actuate the door latch mechanism.

You can either source the 2-into-1 mechanism OR, being the lazy tightwad I am, I would suggest just crimping the two braided cables together with some brake line crimp and call it a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured out that you can detach the whole mechanism by removing the three bolts on the outer part of the door. Then you can pull it forward to where you can see the whole thing, and there’s a little notch for the end of the cable to slip into. Now both handles work!! Thanks again for your replies.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,298 Posts
Looks like someone installed the wagon door handle into a cargo van...
My cargo came with that handle. Not sure if it is a different model year or maybe it's part of the interior upgrade package.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts