Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Transit folk,
I have a 2018 T350 Dually High roof that I converted for the kids. King size bed,shower,cab w/sink,windows.seating for 3 and 3 Honda dirtbikes. I installed the Scopema swivel on the drivers side, Swivels-R-Us on Pax, 19"TV, Super Cub 8" tall A/C w/ 6000BTU Heater, Electronic exhaust/in fan, On demand hot water heater, Marine breaker panel,marine wire in plastic tubing, Led lighting, Vinyl flooring. At this point, I'm doing all the finishing work. Maybe all in all about 2000lbs. w/ bikes.
On to the question: On the highway with cruise set to 79, when the truck encounters a hill and downshifts to maintain speed, when the terrain levels out, the tranny stays on the lower gear ( 5000 RPM) and doesn't upshift unless I tap the brake and disengage the cruise. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,345 Posts
Are the Hondas XR50's? All that stuff and three dirt bikes seems like it would be a lot more than 2,000 pounds. You should consider going to the nearest interstate truck stop and getting a on the scales.

As for the lack of upshifting, mine has only done this once when driving down a hill, and I did have to tap the gas to get it to shift up. I wonder if putting the shifter in manual mode and upshifting with the switch would work, and allow you to remain on cruise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think weight is an issue:
A/C 100lbs
Max air fan 30lbs
Honda CRF230 X2 400 lbs.
Honda CRF 110 X1 110lbs.
lumber/hardware 500lbs approx.
swivels X2 70 lbs.
twin mattress X2 70 lbs.
3 humans 600 lbs.

Actually not even close to 4000lb. useful load this truck supposedly has.
I did consider weight might have something to do?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,345 Posts
Certainly well within the 4,000+ pound capacity of the Transit, but probably heavier than you are estimating. i.e. a CRF230 weighs in at 250 pounds ready to ride and a CR110 is closer to 160. I've been in the motorcycle industry for about 18 years, and published dry weight of a motorcycle is never anywhere near actual ready to ride curb weight. Dry weight is not done weighing a vehicle. It is done by weighing 5 of the same component, and then choosing the lightest of the 5 even if it is a fraction of an ounce lighter. They weigh all the components and then add it up. They may forget hose clamps, zip-ties, fuel line, etc. The definition of dry differs between manufacturers. BMW doesn't count the weight of fluids, so oil, brake fluid, mineral oil, battery acid, fuel, etc. For a while Honda didn't include tires in their totals.

Then there are all the little things we forget to add as part of the weight, like the weight of any OEM options you have, the weight of the loading ramp, some tools, fuel and water, the lunch cooler, etc.

Either way, the experience you are having isn't justified by the weights you are carrying. I would expect it to shift up into 6th once I got back to level ground and my speed was back to my set speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts