21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I want to know how he got it stopped.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Fordpass reports back everything to the mothership in Dearborn if you activate it, which I will not do. There are several threads on it. Privacy policy documents how intrusive it is.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Russian Hackers have been busy lately, Seeing what they can get away with. Maybe someone hacked your Transit.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Russian Hackers have been busy lately, Seeing what they can get away with. Maybe someone hacked your Transit.

Which begs the question; if these newer vehicles have |black boxes", how are they communicating this info? Only when hooked up to an illuminati-approved device at the dealership? Or are they transmitting?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,122 Posts
Which begs the question; if these newer vehicles have |black boxes", how are they communicating this info? Only when hooked up to an illuminati-approved device at the dealership? Or are they transmitting?
I'd be surprised, and a little worried, if dealers could access this data. I suspect this would be accessed by the NHTSB or LEO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a dealership tech, this is pretty difficult to believe unfortunately.

If anyone ever finds themselves in a similar scenario for some reason place the transmission into neutral then apply the brake pedal with full force using both feet if necessary. Pull to the side. Do not slowly apply brake pedal force over a long period of time as you will overheat the brakes and they will not be able to slow you down. Find a safe spot and brake hard and fast to stop the car. If the vehicle continues to move forward while in neutral and you have overheated your brakes, place the transmission into park and shut off the engine. Apply brake pedal with both feet and do this with the hazard lights on.

If I had to guess, the driver noticed he lifted off the throttle and the vehicle kept moving or slightly accelerating. Unsure what to make of it he was slowly applying brake pedal to maintain speed while he figured out what to do. The vehicle kept going and he slowly applied more and more pedal pressure because the brakes were overheating and slowly becoming less effective. This can easily happen especially if the brakes are applied over 10 or 15 minutes as the story indicated. If I had to guess the reason the vehicle was continuing to accelerate it would be because the drivers floor matt either is not a factory one that snaps into the floor or was not installed correctly and had slowly slid up and was doing one or both of these things. Applying pressure to the gas pedal and or possibly blocking the brake pedal from being pressed fully.

I seriously doubt the driver could put the vehicle into reverse and see the reverse camera while the vehicle is being propelled forward. If this was the case then his shift linkage was broken or disconnected. This would have been easily detected at the dealership when they attempted to move the vehicle. I think the driver was trying to save face here.

I feel for the driver but I would be very suspicious that the vehicle could actually fail in this manor and not be detectable by the dealership. If I was the tech working on the vehicle I would want to interview the driver to get the best detail's possible. I would want to know more about how he did eventually get the vehicle to stop. When he finally stopped did it still want to continue forward if he did not apply brake pedal? Did the engine finally shut off once at a stop? Was he able to place the vehicle into park? When he exited the vehicle, did the front brakes smell hot or possibly smoking?

A similar and ultimately fatal scenario similar to this happened about 10-15 years ago with a police officer and a Prius he was driving. Resulted in multiple fatalities because his brakes overheated and he crashed going very quickly. It was determined to be because of his floor mats blocking the brake pedal and jamming the gas pedal forward.

If your company has floor mats on the driver's side make sure they are secured correctly or maybe just remove them all together.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Yeah, I remember the floor mat thing causing crashes years ago, I was going to mention that. Also, we're trying to make sense of the story verbatim rather than parsing out likely scenarios; which the verbatim 2nd or 3rd hand story negates. If the engine is OFF, the power brakes and power steering are going to be very difficult to use. I believe the same scenario for a broken or extremely loose serpentine belt. Maybe the driver is making up some excuses for driver error? It could be possible they were trying to "hypermile" by coasting down a long hill in neutral, and decided to go a step further by turning the engine off, not knowing how it would effect these systems, and the ensuing panicked actions to get systems back on line resulted in at least a bit of the story.

But knowledge of human nature eliminates this scenario: most employees driving someone else's truck will drive it as hard as possible for a thrill, and/or try to break it, to "get back at The Man". Everyone hates their boss and employer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't know the answer, but can a dealer do a "deep dive" into the system? It seems like the dealer hooked up and saw no codes so they stop and say no codes can't do anything for you.

Why would Ford open itself to a recall, court battles are cheaper.

Just an opinion
What the dealer tells its customers and what it does may not be the same thing. Auto industry data logging and harvesting was a closely held secret until MB started denying warranty claims for seemingly "impossible to detect" mods made to their vehicles. IMHO, post "diesel gate" and the Takata airbag debacle, auto OEM's are far more concerned about not initiating safety or SMOG related recalls than trying to hide issues.

·
Registered
638 Posts
WiFi and in some cases undisclosed cell connections.

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd be surprised, and a little worried, if dealers could access this data. I suspect this would be accessed by the NHTSB or LEO.
They do and it is. Like it or not we are all being slowly herded into a sad and scary future by the safety nazis, aided and abetted by the insurance companies and facilitated by big data.

Reactions: AzB

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
WiFi and in some cases undisclosed cell connections.
Shouldn't a network or transmitter show up with a "sniffer"?

Also, why aren't there widely known and available hacks, resets, or "tunes" that can disable this wireless transmission?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,122 Posts
They do and it is.
Do you know this as a fact? There are laws in many states requiring a court order and authorization from the vehicle owner in order to access the event logger, and as Surly Bill mentioned if anyone could access this data there would be entire forums dedicated to ways to defeat it, modify it, hack it, improve it, exploit it, etc.

·
Registered
475 Posts

The "super intelligent tiny aliens" are here again and having some fun with a few lucky humans.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do you know this as a fact? There are laws in many states requiring a court order and authorization from the vehicle owner in order to access the event logger, and as Surly Bill mentioned if anyone could access this data there would be entire forums dedicated to ways to defeat it, modify it, hack it, improve it, exploit it, etc.
I didn't say the data can be accessed by anybody. Court orders have been sought and I believe granted for exactly this.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Shouldn't a network or transmitter show up with a "sniffer"?

Also, why aren't there widely known and available hacks, resets, or "tunes" that can disable this wireless transmission?
Yes and they do - when activated. However, activation of data transmission varies by OEM and year. The early systems were only activated when you took your vehicle in for service. my 2014 Audi connects directly to the data servers in Ingolstadt every time its serviced. My AMG does the same thing but also has a cell service transmitter as well. Our Ford's Sync systems connect to WiFi when available. So its becoming more prevalent and more real time.

This is what the link-up between BlackBerry and Amazon was all about - real time data harvesting. Blackberry's QNX is rapidly becoming the dominant player. Every modern Ford is essentially a mobile BlackBerry.

Increasingly ECUs are locked and un-hackable. MB ECU's can be hacked with difficulty but MB knows its happened and voids your warranty. Juts look at how hard its been to simply correct speedo error for larger tires in a Transit's ECU. The days of ECU flashing and even piggy-back ECUs are over for newer vehicles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Has anyone covered the outside of their van with reflectix. Might kill 2 birds with one stone. Of course it blows the stealth effect as far a terrestrial life goes, so you might as well go full out and add the coordinating bumper stickers.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Jim Farley is watching you! When I choose to share my data, I always choose to share it with Chris Farley's cousin.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts