Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this vehicle have a location to put your phone? Everything now is based off your smartphone these days, even the SYNC system is that Ford uses. But I cannot find a particular area where Ford incorporated a spot to hold or place your phone. I would imagine every modern car out there now has a place holder for a smartphone. What have you all done?

In my car I use the Pitaka magnetic wireless charging mount where my phone just attaches to the magnetic mount with no extra things protruding out of the phone's case, metal plates are built into the Pitaka case itself. Looks like the phone is floating in the air. If this Ford vehicle doesn't have a spot for a smartphone then I guess I'll need to see about getting a wireless charging mount or something.

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nope, none. I use an accessory mechanical mount. If you search the archives, there is one particularly suited but it came after I bought mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pro clip here as well, though i ended up super gluing mine in place, it works perfect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For three years I've enjoyed this one, placed in the cupholder to the left of the steering wheel. Only minor problem is running the power cable from the center console. I'm pretty sure it used to be much cheaper, though ....

Regards,
EJB

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can fit my iPhone 7 in the slot on the dash between the steering wheel and the gear selector. My bigger phone won't go in there, but Android Auto takes care of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out the PRO CLIP and like the center dash model. Looks like it clips right into the little storage area to left of the AC vent. Looks like they don't have a magnetic wireless charging one though. Here is what I may install on the dash with high strenth VHB 3M double sided adhesive. This is how the Pitaka looks in my Chevy. I'd buy another dash mount option or even use the CD-ROM option which works well. When using the magnetic feature wireless charging takes place and the phone looks like it is just floating in the air. Here are a couple pictures.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I use a Weathertech Cupfone in the cup holder next to the drivers door to put a digital GPS speedometer in. The Cupfone comes in 2 sizes, one for regular size phones or devices and one for larger sizes, Cupfone XL. Can view it at a glance without having to look down below the dash while driving to see it .

Semper Fi

·
Registered
57 Posts
The magnetic ones look cool but I think the best option is the Garmin sandbag style mount with the phone adapter, sits right up there on the dash and never budges

·
Registered
2019 T250 HR 148 3.5 EB 3.31 SYNC 3
25 Posts
I use a Weathertech Cupfone in the cup holder next to the drivers door to put a digital GPS speedometer in. The Cupfone comes in 2 sizes, one for regular size phones or devices and one for larger sizes, Cupfone XL. Can view it at a glance without having to look down below the dash while driving to see it .

Semper Fi
Ditto on the cupfone at the drivers door. Your eyes are closer to the road.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
This looks great! Did you pull the dash and route the wires internally? Any guidance on where you connected?
Thanks. Yes, I ran the wire behind the dash and clipped into the cigarette lighter wires for power using Posi-Taps. (Please, let's not go down the rabbit hole on Posi-Tap versus Crimp versus solder. )

If you look very closely at the blank switch above the rear window defroster button, I trimmed the edge of that switch and ran the wire behind the dash at that point then down in the console to the cigarette lighter. As far as I can tell the cig lighter is always on which means the LED on the Qi charger is always on. I've got dual batteries so I'm not too worried about killing the batteries but for extended periods of inactivity it is a draw that needs to be accounted for.

You can also see in the photo the white area around the shifter/tow haul button. I thought that trim had to come off to get to the center console but it doesn't. Also, that bezel around the shifter, that is missing in that picture, can break quite easily. Turns out it does not come off by itself. You actually have to remove the entire assembly (the white portion) all at the same time, then remove the bezel from the white portion once it is in your hand. It's a $100.00 error if you try to get the bezel off by itself... I know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cigarette lighter power..... mine turns off after 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
DIY based on the proclip.

Already had most of the Ram mount stuff leftover (or moved between) other vehicles, scavenged the metal from the scraps pile.

·
Registered
809 Posts
FWIW my Samsung Galaxy fits perfectly into the slot/holder at the right of the steering wheel. If I need to charge it while it in that slot, I turn it bottom up, and plug my charging cable into what is now the top.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts