Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello again. Here to give our take on installing a TV for our family van. Since we are moving to Texas we plan on doing quite a few road trips so we wanted to let our kids have some entertainment available for the long stretches of oil fields and dirt...

I used this forum to get some ideas and to figure out the "how to". We decided to go with a 24" Smart TV and home theater surround system.

One thing I didn't find was good pictures of what the van looked like under the ceiling trim. Unfortunately we were on a mission to finish everything and I failed to take pictures with trim removed. Moving on...

Things purchased.

Ceiling mount from Amazon for 17-34" TV. I think you only get like two options.

24" Vizio smart TV
36" Vizio Sound Bar with subwoofer and satellite speakers.
3" L-Brackets galvanized finish corner brace

12" thin metal bar thing around the lumber section with two large holes on each end with small holes for the satellite speakers

Roll of Velcro, black 10lb type
Harbor Freight trim removal tools.
1 1/2" Lag bolts for wood.
60" 1x6 oak plank.

1000w Pure sine wave inverter.
10' long surge protector plug thing.
Some zip ties.
A few small wood screws.

So, this whole process was fairly easy ish.

I'll start with the TV/Soundbar since they are mounted together. Removed driver door trim. Broke one tab, hot glued it back on... Used the trim tool to remove the two large ceiling fasteners. Requires some Force, maybe 80lbs or more to pull them out. This is as far as I removed stuff to access the ceiling. The middle portion is secured with three magnets which you just pull down to separate from ceiling.

I thought there might have been a center brace going from front to back of the van. There isn't where I wanted to mount the TV so I used the 1x6 oak board. I used oak because it's very dense and sturdy compared to pine. The board rests on a lip on both sides of the van the lip is wide enough to fit all six inches of the board between it. I had to drill two holes on each side to attach the board. I highly recommend some high quality bits to drill through the metal.
For the dense wood I marked and made pilot holes for the mounting screws for attaching to the van, L brackets to the sound bar and four holes for the lag bolts. With the force required to screw into the wood, none of the screws will back out.

Next I mounted Sound bar L brackets to the board. Then I installed the board into the van above the trim. Next I had to cut two slits into the trim for the L brackets to come through the ceiling.

I made the cuts just behind the brackets so they would line up flush when when the ceiling trim was all the way up.

Before I installed the wood in the van I marked a piece of paper where the four pilot holes were located for the TV mount. Once I put the trim back up I used a sewing pin to find one of the holes then I put up the template to find the rest. I drilled four holes in the trim so I could find the holes for the lag screws easier. I did it this way because I had no real way to align the four holes.

I used 1-1/2" lag screws. The widest I could find to fit inside the TV mounting bracket holes.

The fold up option works great.

Next I installed the subwoofer. All that required was running the power cable along the wall.

It rests on the floor nicely. It occupies the space on the floor next to the stock speaker and I can still fit my legs in the seat and I'm 6'2".

I removed some driver side trim panels to run the satellite speaker wires. Those were stuffed from the roof trim to the side. I cut the flat metal bar to make the L brackets for the satellite speakers. I removed the two large trim fasteners and attached the L brackets to those. Speakers are very light, they won't fall out.

I ran those wires along the side of the van. All the curtain airbags are located right above the windows under the trim so nothing interferes.

Next I installed the inverter behind the driver seat. Positive to the positive post. Negative to ebrake ground bolt.

I purchased 12x24" kydex sheets. I'm going to make a cover to go over the inverter and keep the fan clear of stuff. Also going to cut a hole in it to mount the on off switch.

I ran the extension cord up the driver side trim

The cord comes out under the trim right by the inverter. For both the sub and the power wire to the overhead storage.

Mounted a Blu Ray player to passenger overhead compartment.

We use our Verizon hotspot to play Netflix or prime videos.

So far the only minor problem is while the TV is down it wiggles a little on Michigan roads, but not enough to bother the kids. I bought some dense foam. I plan to wedge it between the TV and Soundbar since the Soundbar is solid to the roof. We really like the way it looks and sounds. Audio while driving is not lacking and we can still listen to radio up front.

That's about it, as always if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
"DoooD", Bamboo beach mat, Scott "slippahs", AND, the coveted "Y tan" on da top of da feets!

I could use my Mach 7 boogie board as a "sleep mat"?

House cars are illegal here in Hawaii. I recently saw a new-arrival Econoline factory conversion, "Empire State". This RV will never be registered here. VW vans only.

Aloha

·
Registered
425 Posts

Used kydex to make a custom cover for the inverter and mount the on off switch

Looks amazing , the answer to the problem I have to cover my 150 amp resettable breaker and bi-directional battery separator.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you just attach to the top of the seat base using the two existing holes that are unused or use the two holes that hold down the carpeted flap ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks amazing , the answer to the problem I have to cover my 150 amp resettable breaker and bi-directional battery separator.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you just attach to the top of the seat base using the two existing holes that are unused or use the two holes that hold down the carpeted flap ?

I just used Velcro up top. Then the bottom just rests against the trim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"DoooD", Bamboo beach mat, Scott "slippahs", AND, the coveted "Y tan" on da top of da feets!

I could use my Mach 7 boogie board as a "sleep mat"?

House cars are illegal here in Hawaii. I recently saw a new-arrival Econoline factory conversion, "Empire State". This RV will never be registered here. VW vans only.

Aloha

Yeah... We just left Hawaii two weeks ago for Texas. So still some island living remnants...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

How do you like your Power TechON 1000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter? Is it holding up well? Also, do you have any info on how you connected it up to the ccp or was their a guide you’d recommend? Did you add an inline fuse?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're a freaking hero! I am taking my transit from PA to Yellowstone this year and I've been desperately searching for a TV solution in the van. Only question I have is would you have enough clearance for a 32 inch TV? When I do my install I plan on attempting a video with your guide.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Passing this along ....

E1Allen - Joined May 22, 2018 - Last seen Oct 11, 2018

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright so I did the install today. I took some pictures under the headliner so everyone can see it. And just wanted to share a few thoughts on the install.
1. The TV mount does not lock into place, the weight of the TV seems to keep it mostly in the right position while going down the highway but bumps do seem to jostle it around a bit. I am looking to engineer a locking bracket onto it to keep it locked in the down position.
2. Tighten everything down on the tv mount before install. The mount swivels side to side and theres 3 bolts with nuts on the top that tighten that feature down. I used an impact to snug them up after the fact but it would have been better to do beforehand.
3. A 32 inch vizio tv will fit fine. It is definitely big though.
4. I did a watt test on the vizio TV (28 watts max), sound bar (90 watts max), subwoofer and sattelite speakers (12 watts max). I went with a 300w pure sine inverter and so far it is giving me no issues.
5. When you attach the board to the roof pocket get a real good drill bit to drill your pilot hole. Its super strength steel and isn't the easiest to cut through.

Overall install once I had everything was about 2.5 hours. I ran the sattelite speakers like the OP to the floor, the subwoofer lays on its side velcroed to the floor. The sub power cord is under the second row of seats so the power cord reaches to the inverter under the driver side seat. I used a 10 foot 3 plug extension cord to the top shelf like the OP did and it's out of the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts