Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....this is driving me nuts......I have a brand new 2017 T 250 with the HD tow package installed. I do not have the factory trailer brake controller installed......however all of the other components are installed....the trailer tow module in the drivers side footwell....the jumper cable that goes to the tow controller and the main harness that goes back to the 7 pin trailer connector....all installed.
What I cant find is the connector that goes to the brake controller. I have looked under the center cup holder and there is nothing there. I have looked under the center console and cannot see any "spare" connectors. Did they perhaps run this connector to a different place in the 2017 models? I cant imagine that they installed every other component except the cable from the tow controller to the center console.
If I cant find this connector...I'm going to have to do a manual install of my aftermarket BC.....tapping into the brake signal wire at the pedal, running power to the BC, and then running a separate wire for the BC signal to the 7 pin connector....and this all seems like a huge pain in the tush if most or all of the wiring is already there. Has anyone else dealt with this on a 2017? Maybe I can tap in where the "jumper" to the tow module is.....I don't know......I need to get this figured out this week because I need to tow the travel trailer over the mountains in a couple weeks and don't want to be without trailer brakes! Any help deeply appreciated!!

CB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'm starting to figure it out....I'm missing the 14A348 TBC pigtail....or the 15A416 TBC Harness.....whichever one goes up under the cup holder. Looks like I get to adapt the Tekonsha 3035P harness to tie into the system......I dont know if this was ever the right harness since it's labeled Super Duty but I'll make it work somehow :D

CB

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ditto- just got a 2018 with the heavy duty tow package and the connector for the brake controller under the cup holder is NOT there....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Update- using a tone tracer* I went hunting for the connector- it is buried somewhere under the dash to the right of the under cup holder area where it is supposed to be.
Looks like a lot of disassembly to physically get to it..
So- just like my 2015 which was actually missing crucial parts of the trailer harness hookup- my 2018 is NOT like Ford claims it to be.
Gave up and wired it up the old school way myself- what should have been a 30 minute deal turned into an entire afternoon of aggravation- but it is done and working.

*tone tracer. neat device that you clip to a wire you want to find in a bundle or another area. There is a "wand" that detects the signal emitted by the wire- closer you get the louder it gets.
I would have never found the supposed connector without it...and even with it I can't see it or feel it up under the dash, somewhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a little late to the game but I wanted to share some info. I recently purchased a new (leftover) 2016 350 XLT. It did not have a tow package but I negotiated one into the deal. The dealer installed it, to include the hitch, and 4/7 pin connectors. When I picked the van up, I noticed that the knuckle-heads installed the panels half-a$$ed. So, I took the time to remove the panels (drivers-side below the driver seat belt and the entry kick/step panel. There I noticed that they also half-a$$ed the installation by breaking many of the panel tabs and pins, and they also just shoved the wires coming from beneath the van to inside the van on the side of the electrical rubber grommets rather than fishing them through the center with the rest of the wires. Long story short, I pulled all of the panels, fixed their shady install and started tracing wires to verify that the rest of it looked sound.

The wiring that they installed did not go to the plug beneath the cup holder. I pulled the cup holder and verified that the other plug is there...and it is. But the wiring kit that they installed ran from the 4/7 pin on the hitch, up to the tow brake controller (near the driver entry) and had a power wire going to the battery, and then all of those ran up under the dash. I removed the panel beneath the steering wheel and there was another trailer brake controller plug on their harness. I made note of it and reinstalled everything.

Today I received my brake controller (Tekonsha Pimus IQ) and used the harness that came with it, and the harness that the dealer left in my glove box and wired them together following the labels on the factory harness and the instructions that came with the brake controller. I then plugged it into the harness that was below the steering wheel, NOT the plug under the cup holders.

And...It all works like a champ! I didn't need to activate anything. When I ordered the brake controller, I also ordered the OHP OBDii reader/usb plug thinking that I would need to activate the Brake Control Module. I don't need to.

I'm guessing that the plug beneath the cup holder was installed specifically for the factory brake controller that shows it's details through the dash board information center. Being that the after market controller have their own screens, they shouldn't require all of that stuff. Hopefully this helps a few folks.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Braking systems are getting pretty high tech these days. I wonder if the factory installed trailer brake controller has tighter integration with the braking algorithms than is possible with an aftermarket unit? Looking hard for a used T150 medium passenger 3.5 3.31 LS and finding one with the factory brake controller isn't so easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...Today I received my brake controller (Tekonsha Pimus IQ) and used the harness that came with it, and the harness that the dealer left in my glove box and wired them together following the labels on the factory harness and the instructions that came with the brake controller. I then plugged it into the harness that was below the steering wheel, NOT the plug under the cup holders.

And...It all works like a champ! I didn't need to activate anything.
Thanks so much for this sentence!! Like many, I've been struggling to find a solid answer on how to wire a Tekonsha brake controller to my 2015 Transit 250 (with tow package). I've manually wired them before on other cars, and really didn't want to go that route. I looked under the cup holders and there is no plug there. After scrolling through forums I found your post, and it triggered a faint memory of a connector that came in our glovebox. I wasn't 100% sure, and it wasn't in the glove box anymore, but I went digging through my file cabinet for the Transit papers and low and behold I found it!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even if you don't have this little harness, you should be able to find the mating connector under the dash and manually splice your controller into the wires behind it.

The instructions say it is located "UNDER THE INSTRUMENT PANEL, LEFT OF THE STEERING COLUMN, TAPED BACK".

Black = Ground
White w/Violet trace = Stop Lamp Signal Feed
Grey w/Red trace = +12 volt
Green = Electric brake feed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Even if you don't have this little harness, you should be able to find the mating connector under the dash and manually splice your controller into the wires behind it.

The instructions say it is located "UNDER THE INSTRUMENT PANEL, LEFT OF THE STEERING COLUMN, TAPED BACK".

Black = Ground
White w/Violet trace = Stop Lamp Signal Feed
Grey w/Red trace = +12 volt
Green = Electric brake feed
I have a 2017 t350 wagon with tow pkg and no brake controller. I have searched under both sides of the dash and under the cup holders. I can find no loose connectors of any kind, much less the one I need! Were any of you able to find one? If so, where? Some of the other posts seem to indicate that you either have two of them or none of them. That seems crazy. I assumed that the tow package would always include the necessary wiring for a brake controller.

Please let me know what the rest ended up doing...or finding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gee, I have spent two days trying to find the electric brake controller harness in my 2017 Transit 350HD with the trailer package installed at the factory!!
I want to install an aftermarket electric brake controller.
I called the Ford Customer line yesterday and again this morning for help. Their expert (Carl) still has not called me back!!
Now I am working with the Ford Service manager at my local Ford Dealer. He is trying to find it in another Transit since he could not find it in his electronic shop manuals.
I have the drivers side lower panels off to look all under the dash and around the steering Column. I have the center cup holder panel out. And I have the passenger glove box out.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Gee, I have spent two days trying to find the electric brake controller harness in my 2017 Transit 350HD with the trailer package installed at the factory!!
I want to install an aftermarket electric brake controller.
I called the Ford Customer line yesterday and again this morning for help. Their expert (Carl) still has not called me back!!
Now I am working with the Ford Service manager at my local Ford Dealer. He is trying to find it in another Transit since he could not find it in his electronic shop manuals.
I have the drivers side lower panels off to look all under the dash and around the steering Column. I have the center cup holder panel out. And I have the passenger glove box out.
Any suggestions?
Submit a warranty claim and have them install the parts you paid for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My WinnieVan came with the factory towing package with the 7 pin connector, but no brake controller. We just traded our cargo trailer for a new one that has brakes, so I wanted to get a controller for the van. After reading up on it, I decided to go with the Tekonsha Prodigy 90250 RF controller. This controller mounts on the trailer, not the tow vehicle, and has a handheld controller that gets paired to it that plugs into a 12V outlet. Took about an hour total to find a good location to install it, drill the holes and hook it up, then pair the handheld unit and test it out. Works really well, and the beauty of it is that if I need to tow the trailer with a different vehicle, the brakes will still work. It was a little pricey at $280, but a lot less than it would have cost to get the factory unit installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts