Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van had a previous life as a passenger wagon van.some times i keep the back two seats in for granddaughter/3.5 yrs old
i am considering making one bed shorter to utilize the jump seat by the slider.i had removable beds put in by Van Specialties in Tualatin Oregon.They have been doing vans for over 40 yrs.I have a wonderful 12v freezer/fridge and fantastic fan and ways to have shore power too.
However,after spending ten thousand dollars, i still want more things done. i want to see if anyone has bare bones photos of the interior of the van .especially high up above the windows.I want to add a curtain rod to divide the space across where the beds are. i must beware of air curtains.
i am enjoying the features i have and i look forward to hearing about and seeing other vans that had a previous passenger van life,and how they transitioned it to camping life.

Happy Trails
Ardel
Sherwood Oregon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Ardel, I had a 2015 Sprinter passenger van that Van Specialties converted for me. I used it to haul kids during the week with the front two rows of passenger seats. I could remove the second row of pass seats and slide in a dinette seat and table for camping. Then in the rear I had a little cassette toilet in a closet on the driver's side and a little sink cabinet with a small microwave on the other side. It worked pretty well except adding/removing the extra 3 person seat.
Then I started having the dreaded diesel emission problems that lasted over a year so as soon as I could l sold it.
I wish I could help with passenger van picts but I bought a GAS transit cargo van and had Van Specialties convert to a regular RV. I can totally relate to "I want more things done."

·
Registered
765 Posts
One cheap and easy way to go is a heavy duty bungee cord as a curtain rod. I've got one across behind the driver seat, one across the back doors, one over the slider, and one above the window behind the driver. All strung with blackout curtains from Amazon. It's dense but fairly lightweight material with pockets for the rods/bungee already sewn in. Not fancy but very effective and cheap. You can move them around until you get them exactly where you want them.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spotco
Pictures would be appreciated behind the drivers seat above the window and a bit of the ceiling curve , same area above the slider too.
i too have a black van and a limo tint.i will attempt to navigate to add photo of mine too.
thanks
Happy Trails
Ardel

·
Registered
2017 Transit T250 3.7L. 148wb magnetic
2,164 Posts
For any body that is gutting your passenger van,,,, do you want to sale your rear heater core system that's under that passenger seat?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have mine partially gutted at the moment for insulation. Any specific pics anyone wants?

Spotco2, have you removed any factory installed insulation in the ceiling? If not, is there any factory installed insulation in the ceiling that I can't see, 'cause I don't see any? If there isn't any at all, I need to start thinking about putting some in since next year I'll be spending all summer in Florida.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spotco2, have you removed any factory installed insulation in the ceiling? If not, is there any factory installed insulation in the ceiling that I can't see, 'cause I don't see any? If there isn't any at all, I need to start thinking about putting some in since next year I'll be spending all summer in Florida.

There ain't squat above the headliner from the factory and if you decide to pull yours, grab a friend because it's awkward and will fold coming down if you're not careful. They are also about $2k PER SECTION from Ford.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spotco

Pictures would be appreciated behind the drivers seat above the window and a bit of the ceiling curve , same area above the slider too.

i too have a black van and a limo tint.i will attempt to navigate to add photo of mine too.

thanks

Happy Trails

Ardel

Hard to take pics at night with no interior lights. If these are not clear enough let me know and I will take more tomorrow when the sun is out.

Drivers side

Above slider on passenger side

·
Registered
47 Posts
Requesting pics of the walls from the windows to the floor. If I'm going to consider attaching though the panels, I'd like to see what level to plan for. Also, can you maybe remove one of the plastic trim pieces toward the bottom if/when you take the pics.

Thanks man, a really great service you're giving everyone here planning for a passenger buildout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to take pics at night with no interior lights. If these are not clear enough let me know and I will take more tomorrow when the sun is out.

Drivers side

Above slider on passenger side

Spotco2

I have been advised by my son,we need the picture above the posts on both sides.the seam where the head liner meets is exactly where i want a curtain rod.
just a little further back,if you please.
i believe you mentioned a two person job taking the liner down.Will we need a special tool for the liner buttons to be removed?
i need a technical adviser to learn the ropes of this forum.i thank you for your help.

Happy Trails
Ardel
Sherwood Oregon

·
Registered
189 Posts
Spotco2

I have been advised by my son,we need the picture above the posts on both sides.the seam where the head liner meets is exactly where i want a curtain rod.

i believe you mentioned a two person job taking the liner down.Will we need a special tool for the liner buttons to be removed?

i need a technical adviser to learn the ropes of this forum.i thank you for your help.

Happy Trails

Ardel

Sherwood Oregon

You will need to keep your curtain rod above the green airbags if they are still plugged in and active. This unfortunately puts your curtain rod a few inches above the seam unless you make some brackets to avoid the airbag space. Also keep in mind that if the air bags deploy, they “blow” the bottom sections of the headliners down/out along with anything attached to them

You will want a standard plastic clip removal tool to pop out the plugs/clips holding the ceiling panels in place to the ceiling ribs. Amazon or any auto part store should have them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spotco2

Happy Trails
Ardel
Sherwood Oregon

This is the tool that I used to remove all of the clips on the headliner. The ones you can see from inside the vehicle are VERY long (3" maybe) so you have to pull them out a little, then physically grab them with your hand and pull until it comes out. There are 2 other clips that are hidden under the seam where the panels overlap, but they are short and pop out easily. There is a wire harness above each headliner that needs to be unplugged and it is attached to the rib above the short clips on the headliner section you are removing.

I'll take other pics shortly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Requesting pics of the walls from the windows to the floor. If I'm going to consider attaching though the panels, I'd like to see what level to plan for. Also, can you maybe remove one of the plastic trim pieces toward the bottom if/when you take the pics.

Thanks man, a really great service you're giving everyone here planning for a passenger buildout.

This is what I have of the drivers side at the moment. The passenger side is basically the same. I will take some time to take more shortly. It is difficult to be able to back up far enough to get a good pic of the entire length or height.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
There ain't squat above the headliner from the factory.

That's about what I expected 'cause when it rains hard it's so loud it's impossible to hear myself think. Thanks for the pictures. Even though I have a MR I'm guessing the ceiling is the same as a HR. I wonder how much insulation I can put up there and still get the panels back in place.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spotco2

Happy Trails

Ardel

Sherwood Oregon

This is where the headliner separates between the second and third sections. The uninsulated roof is what you see above the second row of seats. The insulation starts where the third section of headliner would be.

Drivers side

Passengers side

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's about what I expected 'cause when it rains hard it's so loud it's impossible to hear myself think. Thanks for the pictures. Even though I have a MR I'm guessing the ceiling is the same as a HR. I wonder how much insulation I can put up there and still get the panels back in place.

1-1/2” or 2”.

I am using Thinsulate (whatever the thick one is) and it seems to pretty much fill the void between the roof panels completely. Also the underside of the roof has been so hot you couldn’t hold your hand on it long. The sections with Thinsulate are ambient temp on the under side. It was not cheap, but I am pleased with the investment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks man. Those pics are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm assuming that none of the holes at the level that the black panel pops in are threaded? Guess that's a rivnut job

·
Registered
144 Posts
How did it go? I'm planning to buy a passenger van then insulate it a bunch. I plan to buy or make my own insulated magnet window covers too. I realize this is not optimum but I'm not building an RV just a place to hang out during long days on the ski hills.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts