Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 Ford Transit Campervan 250, High Roof, Long Body, 12200 Miles, $47,500

Custom crafted 2017 Ford Transit 250 camper van fully ready for exploration and adventure. 3/4 ton with 3.5 Liter EcoBoost twin turbo motor with plenty of power yet great mileage. Off grid/boondocking ready with solar power & a shore power connection. True queen size bed, full length running boards, powered kitchen sink, automatic Fantastic fan with remote control and rain sensor. Large garage area for toys; we have easily had 2 bikes + 2 inflatable kayaks + all necessities inside. Overall length is under 20' which allows camping in length limited/tent only areas found at many parks like Bryce Canyon. One owner, clean Carfax.

Electric:
2 x 100w solar panels (expandable), Renogy PWM Solar Controller and Cabling, Pure Sine Wave Inverter – 600 W (1200W Peak), 12v/300AH deep cycle, AGM Battery, Onboard charger with 30A shore power hookup

Water:
Stainless steel sink, 5-gallon portable water tank, 5-gallon portable grey water tank, 12v/35 psi water pump, self-priming, pressure switch, low power consumption

Insulation:
All walls and the ceiling have been insulated with Rockwool Comfortbatt R-23 natural/recycled (no fiberglass) insulation with sound barrier. Ford load area protection package; full cargo area has wall panels and vinyl floor covering

Factory Ford Options:
3.5L Ecoboost Twin Turbo V6
Interior Upgrade Pkg; seats/stereo/cruise control
Reverse Park Aid
Trailer Tow Package
Trailer Brake Controller
Backup Camera
Load Area Protection Pkg.

Additional Options:
Full Length Running Boards
Rearview fulltime camera
Fantastic Fan – Rain sensor, thermostatically controlled and remote
Queen size bed
Sliding door window that opens and has screen

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks like a neat van at a good price. From your username and pics, safe to say it is located in AZ?
Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we are in the Tucson area. The perfect place to explore in a camper; too many cactus and critters to boondock with a tent ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We wanted to request feedback from the experts here. We have had a lot of views (thank you!). We would like to know your thoughts around the design, materials used or pricing (or a little of each). It was very hard to find something truly comparable as each build has its own unique features. We appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, I think this forum is primarily viewed by people wanting to build their own project, so it might not be the best place to advertise. Also working against you is that used campers tend to depreciate rather rapidly.

The market for a camper van is relatively small, so even if the price is fair it might take awhile to locate a motivated buyer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think this forum is primarily viewed by people wanting to build their own project, so it might not be the best place to advertise. Also working against you is that used campers tend to depreciate rather rapidly.

The market for a camper van is relatively small, so even if the price is fair it might take awhile to locate a motivated buyer.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Your price is fair, but many shoppers are unfamiliar with the true cost of van-build technology and finish. I know I was pretty clueless. Diligent marketing on multiple vanlife and RV forums might help. It's going to be a choice between patience and resignation.

Your market of DIY-savvy buyers might be suppressed by the choice of rock wool for insulation. I am skeptical about rock wool's resistance to generation of air-borne microscopic fibers due to vibration and wear. Although it isn't fiberglass, it is a brittle mineral fiber, as opposed to the continuous elastic polymer Thinsulate fiber that vehicle manufacturers and many DIY builders here use. On the other hand, general automotive pollutants, road dust, scorpions, snakes, bears, collision or old age will probably get you first. ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks very clean and stylish.
I'm not sure how you used this for camping or just for sleeping?
Can you clarify if there are swivel seats, toilet-porta potti, grey and fresh water tanks - water pump, hot water, stove for cooking?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It just takes a little time, I have saw higher priced conversions similar yours sell on this forum.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Your market of DIY-savvy buyers might be suppressed by the choice of rock wool for insulation. I am skeptical about rock wool's resistance to generation of air-borne microscopic fibers due to vibration and wear. Although it isn't fiberglass, it is a brittle mineral fiber, as opposed to the continuous elastic polymer Thinsulate fiber that vehicle manufacturers and many DIY builders here use.
Wow you are a real Nazi, Criticizing somebodies choices that can not be changed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You might want to post on the Expedition Portal classifieds. You will find several other Transit campers advertised there. Vehicles for sale by ExPo members

There are also a couple of camper van sales groups on Facebook that are pretty active.

Although I'm not an expert on this stuff, I can give you my perspective as someone who will purchase a van in the next few months for a camper build. I think your van would be a good deal for someone who doesn't want to do the work themselves. This would save them a ton of money over paying someone to build it. The key is finding someone who wants it designed the way your van is. As I have looked at used camper vans I start doing the math for things that I would want to change (gray water tank vs. 5-gallon cans, more windows, etc.).

As kenryan mentioned, most of the folks on this forum want to build their own. You can find new 2019 vans out there heavily discounted in the high $30s, and drop $15,000 into all the goodies -- solar, stoves, fridges, etc., and outfit it exactly for your needs, and come in near your asking price. Of course that is only if you are willing to put a buttload of labor into it.

One other factor that might be affecting interest in your van is arrival of the 2020 AWD vans with a ton of new safety features. I have never custom ordered a new vehicle before but I do think it would be worth it for those new features. If others are thinking the same way, that could hurt the value of the pre-2020 models.

I think you have a very attractive camper build. It might just take some time to find the right buyer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very clean and stylish.
I'm not sure how you used this for camping or just for sleeping?
Can you clarify if there are swivel seats, toilet-porta potti, grey and fresh water tanks - water pump, hot water, stove for cooking?
It was used for camping, that said we built the basic functions into the van that we needed with flexibility in mind. We found that having a true queen mattress makes sure we are up to the next day's adventures! To answer the specific questions, swivel seats - never made it to that step given the concerns for "wobble" that we keep reading about. Porta potti - we are blessed with amazingly clean parks in AZ so not a problem for most of what we do. For boondocking, we just are primitive with the bucket/kitty litter plan. Yes, we have 5 gallon portable grey and fresh water tanks, found that to be the easiest solution for our needs. We did allow room for larger tanks under the sink in the event we ever changed our mind/needs. Water pump - yes, it is an automatic water pump with controlled on/off by the faucet. We also added a on/off switch to reduce power consumption when the van is stored. For our stove, we chose a portable propane cooktop that allows us to cook outside of the van whenever possible to cut down on odors and heat. The countertop is more than spacious (24x60) enough to cook inside when required for a rainy or cold day. We have the side window and the fan for ventilation as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your price is fair, but many shoppers are unfamiliar with the true cost of van-build technology and finish. I know I was pretty clueless. Diligent marketing on multiple vanlife and RV forums might help. It's going to be a choice between patience and resignation.

Your market of DIY-savvy buyers might be suppressed by the choice of rock wool for insulation. I am skeptical about rock wool's resistance to generation of air-borne microscopic fibers due to vibration and wear. Although it isn't fiberglass, it is a brittle mineral fiber, as opposed to the continuous elastic polymer Thinsulate fiber that vehicle manufacturers and many DIY builders here use. On the other hand, general automotive pollutants, road dust, scorpions, snakes, bears, collision or old age will probably get you first. ?
Thanks for the feedback. After a lot of research, we had several reasons that we choose the rock wool. We wanted something that was eco-friendly (75% recycled materials), we also were not keen on using any insulation that required us to wear masks during the installation process. Post installation we encapsulted the walls and ceiling with a plastic wrap so that nothing would become air-borne. We found the sound-deadening, fire resistant, high R value and water repellant properties of the rockwool to be our best solution.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I sold my 2016 using autotrader.com - sold in less than 30 days. Ad cost $99, There are buyers who want a van like yours but are unable to do their own build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking within this part of the forum that would look here to buy someone's build. I have seen your van elsewhere today, perhaps ExPo? I am not in the market yet. Probably 18 months away and still debating whether to build something myself from maybe a new purchase (the 2020+ AWD Transits are tempting( or buy one like yours for sale. I am basically just lurking around to see what is available.

So I think this is a good place. This is the primary forum I visit. Only place I know where discussing various iterations of TURD's is fascinating.

Honestly, I would trust something placed in this forum more than CL and other places. Although I have looked at AutoTrader and RVTrader.

Again, I am just a browser at this point in time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Love that wood. Is it reclaimed or did you finish it that way?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi,

Nice van! As others have said, lots of folks on this forum were driven to build our own conversions due to unique requirements, cost concerns, etc... It is still a good place to advertise. One tip I use when selling something out of the ordinary is to list the original cost of the vehicle, parts, and estimated labor hours. Obviously you won't make money on a DIY conversion but it gives less experienced buyers an insight into the cost and effort to build a camper van.

I still use CL to sell stuff, with reasonable success. Facebook is what my wife uses. There is a conversion camper website that costs money but it fits the market you are in. Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts