Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I changed out the horrific commercial tires for BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. BFG has max cold temp of 50 PSI. I have them at 48. Problem is that the tire pressure indicator stays lit. I took it back to the tire shop right after purchase and their solution was to inflate the tires to 70 PSI. I thought they reprogrammed and didn't notice until i checked the pressure a couple months later. I bought one of those programming devices and just relearned each tire. TPMS idiot light is still on.

So question is are the TPMS set at a pressure range for which 50 is too low? Is the fix only to replace the TPMS with different range? Is there a different sequence/hack to have the exisiting OEM TPMS learn the 50 PSI lower range?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be okay to have the pressure at 50... are you sure that you properly did the reset? The insturctions in my owner's manual are wrong, I use Ford Doc M-1180-A (attached) when I swap my summer/winter tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does it say inside the driver's door sill to set them at? That's what you set it at,
The issue is what is on the door sill is for the old commercial tires which were much higher pressure rated than the replacement BFG All Terrain tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be okay to have the pressure at 50... are you sure that you properly did the reset? The insturctions in my owner's manual are wrong, I use Ford Doc M-1180-A (attached) when I swap my summer/winter tires.
Thanks. Those are the same instructions that came with the little learning remote i purchased. I did get a beep confirmation from each tire. So it looks like the process establishes connection from each tire TPMS to the computer. But it doesn't then appear that it establishes the current pressure as the setting. I.e., I think that the TPMS in the tire is preset for a certain pressure.

So that really is my question...is the TPMS set only for a range and not intelligent to be programmed for current setting? I haven't researched but I'm guessing then I need to purchase and install different TPMS on each wheel if I want the system to function. I wish the tire store would have said something because I'm not going to spend hundreds of $$ to demount, new TPMS and remount the tires. It is just annoying to see the idiot light on all the time.

I do have a OBDII sender. I recall reading some stuff a long time ago that perhaps I can use that with Torque to reset the computer to the new pressures?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The issue is what is on the door sill is for the old commercial tires which were much higher pressure rated than the replacement BFG All Terrain tires.
Gotchya! I'm a big believer in keeping things the way they were intended. Higher pressure coincides with heavier loads. On my 350, its like 53 F 70 R. I don't carry anything heavy enough, but its just safer to stick with OEM so I'm don't have to buy new rims/tires for surprise work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It sounds like you have the incorrect tire for your van. If the maximum pressure rating for your tire is 50psi, it means you've got C load rated tires (6 ply). To meet the vehicle weight and pressure specifications on the door, you need to have E rated tires. I would talk to the shop that installed the tires for you - arguably this is something they should have caught. See this link for details: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sounds like you have the incorrect tire for your van. If the maximum pressure rating for your tire is 50psi, it means you've got C load rated tires (6 ply). To meet the vehicle weight and pressure specifications on the door, you need to have E rated tires. I would talk to the shop that installed the tires for you - arguably this is something they should have caught. See this link for details: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
Very true. The tire shop should have refused if they knew what it was going on. They could be held liable IF something happened in regards to putting on the wrong tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are plenty of members here that have installed E rated tires that don't meet the load rating how they deal with the TPMS I don't know. I would never do it but I need the load rating and it can introduce undesirable effects I went with 225/75 Agilis Cross Climate in the correct rating but went with an E rated cheaper tire that doesn't meet the load rating for my spare.

·
Registered
102 Posts
B
I would suggest you look at past TPMS threads, Everything you want to know is already threre.
But has been demonstrated... threads wander and the search only seems to key on the original subject. If I knew where the thread was I could be more helpful by posting a link to the thread with the content. But that's just me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So that really is my question...is the TPMS set only for a range and not intelligent to be programmed for current setting? I haven't researched but I'm guessing then I need to purchase and install different TPMS on each wheel if I want the system to function. I wish the tire store would have said something because I'm not going to spend hundreds of $$ to demount, new TPMS and remount the tires. It is just annoying to see the idiot light on all the time.

I do have a OBDII sender. I recall reading some stuff a long time ago that perhaps I can use that with Torque to reset the computer to the new pressures?
No, the TPMS sensors do not only work at a set or specific pressure, all they do is report the pressure that they sense to the van's computer. I would want to know WHY the idiot light is on. Is it reporting a bad sensor or pressure? Is it upset that the sky is the wrong color blue or the the grass is the wrong shade of green?!? I'd try to figure out that using your OBD tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts