Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
At least they're calling them '15's now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for specs. Does anyone see the opening size of side sliding door on the wagon - RWB/Medium height? I don't see it?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Cargo Floor to Ceiling Height (max. load height)
Van 56.9 72.0 56.9 72.0 81.5 81.5 81.5
Wagon 52.8(5)
67.6(3) 67.6 52.8 67.6 77.0 77.0 77.0

When they claim 4.5" greater interior height for the van vs wagon are they talking about the sheet metal of the roof and ignoring the lower area under each beam? How else would the headliner & insulation end up being 4.5" thick?
If so, the walkable height of the medium height van would be 5' 8" assuming the headliner in the wagon takes up 1/2" instead of the 6' I was assuming.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I measured the bare medium height weldment at the LA Auto Show. From top of floor corrugation to bottom of the roof rib on the van centerline it measured 71 1/2". 1/2" less than what is listed in the specifications. Do not know what floor thickness is above steel floor or what the ceiling thickness is in a passenger van.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ok, so there really is 6' of clearance . Maybe between the insulation, head liner, and floor they really do lose 4 1/2 inches, I guess that is easily possible.
I'll stick with the medium in that case.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great to have this posted up on the forum. Thanks.

Maybe we should get this thread stickied to that it is always at the top of the forum.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Very good info to know. The interesting thing is how the EB V6 has better torque/HP than the I5 diesel, although I'm sure the diesel is tuned for fuel economy and it will likely fare better in that department.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Orton, did you measure the height from the bare floor to the top of the visible window glass? I'm thinking of a "loft" and would love to use the last of the window height as an "infinity" window.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
No, I did not measure to the top of the window cutout. Did measure to the bottom. The van has a "structural box" on each side that is 25" high from the top of the corrugated floor. The walls appeared to be vertical up to 51" above the floor and then started to taper in. The box is 2 3/4" thick. The width between wheel wells was 55". The width between the "boxes" was 68 1/2". The width inside at bottom of the window frames (just above the "boxes") was 74". I did not measure it but the walls may retain the 74" width dimension up to the 51" elevation. As I recall I believe you could add 1/2" of rigid insulation where the window cutouts are and still maintain the 74" of width. The 74" is important for me since I will install the bed platform at 30" height and I sleep across van. I am 73 1/2" long when laying on my stomach from top of head to end of toes. (70" tall standing up)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am 73 1/2" long when laying on my stomach from top of head to end of toes. (70" tall standing up)

Never thought of taking shoe size and ankle angle into consideration before but Orton obviously has done his homework!
I knew you had the foresight to order the CNG engine prep as well as the user defined switches, but you're definitely thinking this one out....
As a 5'6"er barely measuring out to a size 8 who sleeps lengthwise it won't be one of my concerns, but still another parameter worth paying attention too!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Just laid flat on floor and had wife measure my length. I have to sleep slightly diagonal in Sprinter because I made the mistake of adding too much insulation to the side walls. Could have, would have, should have not added as much insulation if I had paid a bit more attention. One of the mistakes I will correct if I buy a Transit and build another conversion.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just laid flat on floor and had wife measure my length. I have to sleep slightly diagonal in Sprinter because I made the mistake of adding too much insulation to the side walls. Could have, would have, should have not added as much insulation if I had paid a bit more attention. One of the mistakes I will correct if I buy a Transit and build another conversion.
No need to sleep crooked in the Sprinter ever again, thanks to modern medical techniques:
Toe Shortening Surgery

1 - 20 of 26 Posts