Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2015 3.2l diesel I bought about a year ago. Just before I bought it the previous owner had a bunch of emissions work done so it was sellable in CA -- DEF tank heater, sensors, etc.

I got it with ~105k mi on it and it now has 115k mi. I recently moved to a new place <1mi from work, so I assume this problem is due to short drive cycles, but I'm really not sure.

My code reader is showing multiple P0420 codes (though I think it might just be storing them) and I get a constant "drive to clean" message. I went for a 1hr drive on the freeway to get a good clean cycle in, and it gave a "exhaust filter cleaning" message for ~10mi, then that message went away and the "drive to clean" message came back. I tried turning the van off and back on, then the "cleaning exhaust filter" message came back for ~10mi, then was replaced again by the "drive to clean" message. This repeated several times before I gave up.

Code reader shows ~24% for DPF.

What's going on? What do I need to fix/replace?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Place the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear and drive for at least 10 miles at 50 MPH. It takes a lot of pressure or a long running time to clear out the exhaust system. The short drives you make do not clear out the exhaust system for proper effective cleaning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a place I can do 50MPH for 10mi steadily. As I said, I did ~100mi at 70mph yesterday, which according to the Ford docs I've seen should clear it. I keep getting the message that says it's cleaning, but the "drive to clean" still comes back after.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts