Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here as a new member. I have a 2015 250 high top, I just hit 80,000 miles and will be on my third set of pads/rotors. Original Ford equipment lasted 65k, I changed pads and rotors with AdvanvedAuto premium pads and rotors. Coated rotors for New Jersey winters and lifetime replacement pads...well 2years and less than 20k both front and rear pads are TOAST front rotors also wrapped so I have wobble when hitting brakes. I was gonna use the warranty from AdvancedAuto but decided to buy Autozone high carbon coated rotors and their MAX series pads. I have them on my personal F350 and have had GREAT success with them so I went that route.

Did I do something wrong two years ago to make pads go that fast of is the AdvancedAuto brand brakes just junk like I suspect?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I should say I'm a P/HVAC master tech so I'm doing service plus installs and the 250 is loaded REALLY good. I was gonna buy a 350 but the payload was so close and the axles ext are identical so the cheaper registration/insurance lead to me getting the 250

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did I do something wrong two years ago to make pads go that fast of is the AdvancedAuto brand brakes just junk like I suspect?
Certainly a lot of people do brake jobs on their vehicles. There are some finer points to consider, to possibly extend pad life. I’d suggest watching:

and see if you pick up any additional techniques. I’m a total believer of taking care of the caliper Bracket hardware in addition to the Caliper slider pins.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The 2015s had upside down brake calipers from the factory, I would guess most of them have been fixed by now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly a lot of people do brake jobs on their vehicles. There are some finer points to consider, to possibly extend pad life. I’d suggest watching:

and see if you pick up any additional techniques. I’m a total believer of taking care of the caliper Bracket hardware in addition to the Caliper slider pins.

I removed and media blasted the brackets. Shot them with dupicolor caliper paint. Cleaned and regressed slid pins and installed new rubber dust seals. Also flushed brake fluid, I'm on top of the right way to do maintenance

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
The upside down calipers were just on the rears. The front's wouldn't also be wearing fast because of that.
The Transit is set up to send disproportionate braking to the rear so there is no nose-diving when the brakes are applied. Most people find the rears wearing out first.
I did my rear pads/rotors around 50k miles I think, and I didn't need to (dealership told me there was 1mm left, but there was more than 4mm, they just wanted to scare me into buying a $850 rear-only brake job, which I did myself for about $125 in parts). Some people have reported rapid wear, but I suspect it's due to driving conditions and skill. Your heavy van and likely City driving isn't going to be kind to pads and rotors. You may just be stuck replacing at least pads every 20k.

I bought a set of ceramic pads and slotted rotors on Ebay for my replacements, and they are doing great after 25k. Maybe you should check into drilled/slotted rotors to reduce some of that heat and prolong pad life.

Reactions: SuperDutyScaler

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou.
So what's this rear brake recall? Is it parts they replace or is it something I can just do myself tomorrow before I ruin my new brake pads and rotors

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thankyou.
So what's this rear brake recall? Is it parts they replace or is it something I can just do myself tomorrow before I ruin my new brake pads and rotors
I think they’re referring to TSB 15-0190:

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
399 Posts
its my understanding that 2020 and up models have improved brake life, up to 50% better or so? not sure what Ford did to achieve this.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
its my understanding that 2020 and up models have improved brake life, up to 50% better or so? not sure what Ford did to achieve this.
Larger surface area usually does the trick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my rubber slid pin is on the bottom, I remember that from the newly installed pads/rotors I did...looks like I'll be flipping them tomorrow for sure now

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
somewhere on this forum is a step by step procedure.

Reactions: SuperDutyScaler
1 - 14 of 14 Posts