Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Transit folks,

Looking for some guidance here. I got my sights set on a diesel transit. Its up for sale near me and I've already taken it for a test drive. Short wheelbase, medium roof 3.2 diesel 2017 with 39K miles. Cargo with vinyl floor installed.. The base of a simple single passenger row add on with slider bed assembly behind for a basic build out. Would be stoked to have a project at home to build this sucker out.

Is the 3.2 with 3.31 axle ratio a bad call? Of course, I have read negative things on a eco boost and the 3.2 diesel at this point. Seems that the diesel would a good option for my use case of longer drives with some shuttling for mountain bike riding.

Here's some details:
Oasis print out:
"Outstanding Field Service Actions:
-20m02 reductant heater and sensor assembly" What does this mean?..W

Warranty history:
"11/5/2019, 26,637 miles
Customer comments:
-Check engine light is on and engine is in limp mode
Tech comments:
-Verified concern, inspected vehicle and found all fluids and filters okay. koeo cmdtcs found p218f present, checked oasis and found no messages. Consulted PC/ED and was directed to ppt rk. rk1-yes, p218f present, rk7-yes. Only 10ml produced during test. (Inspected DEF line and found no damage or kinks present) RK8 installed a new DEF injector solenoid as directed, cleared code, preformed drive cycle, KOER (no codes) and verified repair"

This is a concern of mine. Trying to decipher this provided information.. It is a lovely van. However I am having a hard time confirming this drive train will last to 150k at least.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Get ready for the comments of “Run away as fast as you can” to pop up.
I’ve read enough problems with any diesel to decide I’m going with the ecoboost.
There is a great video on the Transit Facebook page of a sad, sad soliloquy by a guy on the way to trade in his Transit diesel for a Sprinter. The number of parts thrown at it and the downtime is astounding. Unfortunately that Sprinter the guy is going to buy Is also a diesel. Yep, some folks cannot shake the desire.
It’s your choice, of course, but I suspect not many here will offer you support in your decision.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Plus maybe post this on General Discussions to get more views.

·
Super Moderator
2,828 Posts
Bear in mind that most drivers who are happy with their engine will not post that information, more often only those who had issues will. The other thing that happens is that many who do not have that engine will comment based on what they have read or heard about.

My experience with a 3.7 engine traded in at 95k miles was trouble-free, and the two 3.5 turbos I have now are trouble free with 60k and 24k miles so far. Since I have not had the 3.2 diesel I cannot comment on it other than it has factory powertrain warranty still in effect.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Nubbs, what are the reasons you're wanting diesel?

If it's reliability, lower longterm cost of ownership, lower fuel cost, more power; then you're going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good information. Thank you for replying fellas. To be blunt this is the only one of the vans near me that is used and available. It is the correct color, size, and price is good. The experience at the dealer ship was... kind of like he just wanted to get if off his lot.

I am not looking for a diesel specifically. This one just popped up in my area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts