Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just plugged my VIN in at the Ford ETIS site, and this came up as an Outstanding Field Service Action:

17S34 - TRAILER MODULE FUSE AND FOOTWELL DRAINAGE HOLE

Any idea what this is about? I was just in for service and they did not mention it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little more info. The local Ford dealer said that this is a recall, the parts are not yet available, and they are due in early 2018. There will be an email when the repairs can be scheduled.

·
Registered
968 Posts
2015-17 Ford Transit vehicles equipped with trailer tow module

• Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 73,000 2015-17 Ford Transit vehicles equipped with a trailer tow module for water intrusion into the module and connector resulting in potential wiring corrosion and damage to the module.
  • In affected vehicles, water intrusion into the module may result in rapid flashing of the turn signals, loss of the instrument cluster display, loss of heater and air conditioning controls, and loss of multimedia including radio, screens and SYNC. Wiring corrosion from prolonged water intrusion could also result in an electrical short to the ground, which could cause uncommanded seat belt pretensioner deployment, a burning smell and/or increased risk of fire, including when the vehicle is parked and the ignition is off.
  • Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with this issue. Ford is aware of two reports of vehicle fires on Canadian fleet vehicles potentially related to this condition.
  • Affected vehicles include 2015-17 Ford Transit vehicles built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Feb. 3, 2014 to Aug. 2, 2017.
  • The recall involves approximately 73,443 vehicles in North America with 65,206 in the United States and federalized territories and 8,365 in Canada. The Ford reference number for this recall is 17S34.
  • Until the final repair is performed, customers will be instructed to park their vehicles outside. As an interim repair, until parts are available for the final repair, customers may have dealers disable the trailer module. For the final repair, dealers will add a drainage hole to the driver’s door stepwell and incorporate a fuse into the vehicle wiring harness. All of these services and repairs will be performed at no cost to the customer.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Anyone know if this ONLY includes Transits built before that August date? Our Transit was built on 11/01. Hoping we aren't waiting until after the first of the year!
Drainage hole was drilled!

I suspect wet snowy boots, side walk salt, yadda all play a role. Snow melts once in the cab, add a little salt, and it will find a low spot. If that low spot also houses a module then you have an issue.

A wire than can carry 7 Amp's doesn't seem like much current. At 12V, that still can produce 70W of heat at a connection (the other 14W is heat along the wire).

Datsun Roadster's, and Datsun 510's, had fused wires to cigarette lighters. Both suffered from self igniting when the electrical connections got hot. Enough corrosion and current passing though them. Dim headlights or a cigarette lighter than didn't seem to work right. I know of more than few fires that started when the cars were parked in the garage. Hence Fords comment "park out side". That way they are only liable for the vehicle, and your house burning down.

It is a series of "little things". I suspect wet locations with delivery drivers in and out the van . Think UPS residential neighborhoods in wet locations. Salt for ice, oh boy that will cause issues in two years that most of never see in our life time of grocery shopping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A little more info. The local Ford dealer said that this is a recall, the parts are not yet available, and they are due in early 2018. There will be an email when the repairs can be scheduled.
Any idea if this is accurate information (early 2018)? We put a deposit down on a HR 148 on 10/23, 1 day after it was tied up in this recall! Dealer says they can't sell it until recall is complete and keeps saying they're working hard to get the fix out but won't provide any kind of date or timeline.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mystifying how this could occur on any vehicle designed in the last 50 years. Paired with the air box leaks, did Ford consider that it might rain on a Transit EVER? Maybe they were just designed for use solely in Death Valley and someone forgot to tell us. Sheesh.

Reactions: freelantz

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
you can thank the power of the internet and 2 canadians that broke threw the ice on a ice road for this recall, so far they are the only 2 owners that have had this problem.

it is pretty much the same story with giubo's and dropped driveshafts, just a small handful of people have reported it happening.

but everything explodes into something big on the internet, people love to talk, to tell a better story then the next person.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mystifying how this could occur on any vehicle designed in the last 50 years. Paired with the air box leaks, did Ford consider that it might rain on a Transit EVER? Maybe they were just designed for use solely in Death Valley and someone forgot to tell us. Sheesh.
Last September when I was in Death Valley there were really heavy thunderstorms.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Maybe they were just designed for use solely in Death Valley and someone forgot to tell us. Sheesh.
I can assure you they weren't designed for use in Death Valley- was there last June in 128F heat and mine went into reduced power mode several times on hills due to running hotter than the computer allowed. I was seeing 230F on my app monitoring the temp.
I wasn't even towing anything that trip....:eek:

Reactions: 86scotty

·
Registered
162 Posts
I received my official letter last week that parts are now available at dealers. Has anyone had this performed yet? I am curious to hear where in the wiring harness the fuse is added. Some folks on the Facebook Group page were saying dealer's were making them remove cabinets, etc. which doesn't make any sense to me. The driver footwell is easy to access and I am pretty sure the wiring all goes under the van for the trailer module.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Whoa, seriously? Limp mode at 230? Was this your diesel?
Yes it was the diesel. It wasn't "limp mode" which if I understand correctly has a low speed limit, it was a drastic reduction in power- it would still go fast if not under a load.
It was very noticeable when it happened- be cruising up a hill and all of a sudden you had like half power.
BTW I saw MANY overheated vehicles on the side of the road.

I'm a little concerned about my Ecoboost - I've seen 220+ temps already in 80 deg heat....and some members here have reported overheating issues on the ecoboost.
The pickup with essentially the same engine has a much larger radiator.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I received my official letter last week that parts are now available at dealers. Has anyone had this performed yet? I am curious to hear where in the wiring harness the fuse is added. Some folks on the Facebook Group page were saying dealer's were making them remove cabinets, etc. which doesn't make any sense to me. The driver footwell is easy to access and I am pretty sure the wiring all goes under the van for the trailer module.
It all goes to the back underneath for the trailer connections but voltage sources, which is what they are fusing I presume, come from farther forward.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yes it was the diesel. It wasn't "limp mode" which if I understand correctly has a low speed limit, it was a drastic reduction in power- it would still go fast if not under a load.
It was very noticeable when it happened- be cruising up a hill and all of a sudden you had like half power.
BTW I saw MANY overheated vehicles on the side of the road.

I'm a little concerned about my Ecoboost - I've seen 220+ temps already in 80 deg heat....and some members here have reported overheating issues on the ecoboost.
The pickup with essentially the same engine has a much larger radiator.
I've noticed a little more heat than previous vehicles but I didn't used to pay attention to them with digital readouts either. Mine stays around 210 most of the time. It never loses coolant and no other symptoms or problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just received the recall notice addressing the Trailer Module issue. This is a NHTSA Recall, yet in the 3rd line of the recall notice Ford states: Ford Motor company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle... How nice of Ford to take credit for the recall. I plan on having the recall work done. I don't want to encounter any electrical problems down the line and have no recourse because I didn't act on the recall.

I wonder if this is the final fix or will I have to take my Transit in every 30,000 miles and have another weep hole drilled in the floor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.