Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there's a 355 page thread on larger tires on stock wheels. What about buying new 17" wheels and putting BFG all terrains on?

I'm new here, but a 130", low roof, 3.5EB passenger van might be our next ride but I can't stand those skinny little tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have 17s on our shop van.... 265/70-17 Cooper Discoverer ST/MAXX tires. Almost 15,000 miles on this combo and couldn't be happier.
I am starting my research for proper wheels and tires and have a few questions. What wheels and offset are you running those 265/70/17 tires with? Do you have any rubs? Did you lift or mod pinch weld?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I am starting my research for proper wheels and tires and have a few questions. What wheels and offset are you running those 265/70/17 tires with? Do you have any rubs? Did you lift or mod pinch weld?

Wheels are (discontinued unfortunately) 17x7.5” Method Racing 301’s, 50et/6.2” backspacing, 5x160 pattern

Our shop van is lifted 2.75" (lift made in house) and the pinch weld has been folded over. I had to trim the lower corner of the front bumper but not much. I've only rubbed a couple times in over a year with this setup and it only rubs the plastic trim along the rocker panel. The plastic could be trimmed but I haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Expo care to share more detail on how you folded the pinch weld?

Most I have seen are trimmed which I am reluctant to do for fear of future rust issues.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Yeah, I don't like trimming either. Lots of potential problems when you start cutting away material on uni-bodies.

Pretty simple what we did. Large dead blow hammer, bend a little at a time and keep going along until you get it flat where you want it. The secret is not trying to bend too far too fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@mgmetalworks what direction did you have to bend the pinch weld in the front wheel wells to prevent rubbing? To the inside or outside? And what is the advantage to using a dead blow hammer vs bending with pliers (and sandwiching the pinch weld with something to avoid scratching paint)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts