Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have a 2017 Transit 148WB, mid roof, 250 I have four wheel disk brakes, my 2017 low roof 130 WB 150 does not. Not sure what the other differences are.
You're saying that your low roof 2017 Transit has drums in the rear?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have a 2017 Transit 148WB, mid roof, 250 I have four wheel disk brakes, my 2017 low roof 130 WB 150 does not.
Hard to believe. My base model 98 Forester have and 03 Dodge Grand Caravan had drums on the rear but I don't know if they do rear drums on even the cheapest cars anymore.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Put a 4000lb load in the back of the 150 and see the squat and driveability difference.

There is a difference.

Also, try selling your used 150 in 6 years to a contractor vs a 350. You'll probably get most of that money back on the 350.

Also, get in a wreck and have your insurance adjuster deny your claim for exceeding GCWR or gvwr and see how much you saved.

Or, even worse the guy you hit suing you for carrying too much weight, or a state you re traveling through pull your "commercial" vehicle over, put it on the scales , and write you a 700$ ticket for being too heavy.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Put a 4000lb load in the back of the 150 and see the squat and driveability difference.

There is a difference.

Also, try selling your used 150 in 6 years to a contractor vs a 350. You'll probably get most of that money back on the 350.

Also, get in a wreck and have your insurance adjuster deny your claim for exceeding GCWR or gvwr and see how much you saved.

Or, even worse the guy you hit suing you for carrying too much weight, or a state you re traveling through pull your "commercial" vehicle over, put it on the scales , and write you a 700$ ticket for being too heavy.
For someone building a conversion van that won't be putting two tons of build inside (struggling to imagine what that would entail), the 350 is either overkill, or ego stroking. Both of which will always cost more in any endeavor. That's been true since long before cars displaced horses.

If the need arises a 150 owner can replace springs, add air bags, rear anti-sway bar, etc. to make a 150 the better of what a 250 might be expected to deliver for less than Ford upcharges for the badge.

I have no need to aim at the 350 spec for a fun van, but I imagine that if the part replacement numbers stated above are accurate that it wouldn't be all that difficult to reach that level at very little additional cost. Still likely less than what the upcharge is from 150 to 350 that Ford asks at time of purchase. (Granted, commercial users are bound by the regs to purchase the right vehicle for the job) My expected use of the van will never involve loads approaching those specified for the 350. In all honesty, that aspect is more about Ford attorneys, DOT, and possibly insurance companies coming to terms than it is about the ability of the chassis to perform the work.

Because of this, I'm tickled to have the 150, knowing that there is very little difference between it and its siblings capabilities from a perspective of engineering and components utilized in their construction.

Funny you should mention selling it in a few years as I was on the other end of such a deal. Picked up a plumbing truck with under 40K miles for $18.5K. I don't find this price to be a problem after doing my research on the differences. If I get another 150K miles out of it I'll be even happier about that aspect. Less than 4% of the cars and trucks I've owned have been purchased new. My practical side can't stomach the depreciation hit as I leave the dealer lot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

There is a difference.

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply. I would like to ask if you put 4000 pounds in the back of a 150 and share with us what you found.

I am not too worried about selling it used but I would assume it would bring around $2200 less than a 350 would... but that is OK since I saved $2200 on the purchase. ;)

I will not even be close to the load rating on the 150 so that is not my concern. If one is to tell me a 350 has bigger brakes, better springs, bigger axles, etc then I have no issue with paying for an upgrade. What I do take issue with is the "trust me it's better" mentality with zero proof anything is different. Can you specify exactly what is different so I can start looking up part numbers to better understand the differences. Trust me is not a satisfactory answer. This would be for long MR 2018 Transit Van.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For someone building a conversion van that won't be putting two tons of build inside (struggling to imagine what that would entail), the 350 is either overkill, or ego stroking. Both of which will always cost more in any endeavor. That's been true since long before cars displaced horses.

If the need arises a 150 owner can replace springs, add air bags, rear anti-sway bar, etc. to make a 150 the better of what a 250 might be expected to deliver for less than Ford upcharges for the badge.

I have no need to aim at the 350 spec for a fun van, but I imagine that if the part replacement numbers stated above are accurate that it wouldn't be all that difficult to reach that level at very little additional cost. Still likely less than what the upcharge is from 150 to 350 that Ford asks at time of purchase. (Granted, commercial users are bound by the regs to purchase the right vehicle for the job) My expected use of the van will never involve loads approaching those specified for the 350. In all honesty, that aspect is more about Ford attorneys, DOT, and possibly insurance companies coming to terms than it is about the ability of the chassis to perform the work.

Because of this, I'm tickled to have the 150, knowing that there is very little difference between it and its siblings capabilities from a perspective of engineering and components utilized in their construction.

Funny you should mention selling it in a few years as I was on the other end of such a deal. Picked up a plumbing truck with under 40K miles for $18.5K. I don't find this price to be a problem after doing my research on the differences. If I get another 150K miles out of it I'll be even happier about that aspect. Less than 4% of the cars and trucks I've owned have been purchased new. My practical side can't stomach the depreciation hit as I leave the dealer lot.
So far the only difference I have found is the door sticker and rear emblem. I have looked up practically every part number on these Transits and they are all the same for the same style of vans between the 150, 250 and 350...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I stand corrected my son drives the low roof and he said it had drums on my inspection it DOES have disks all the way around, sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Besides the load ratings and the emblems on the back what is the difference between these 3 series? When I look up part numbers for axles, rotors, brakes, springs, frame rails, etc they all have the same part number. Is there any real difference between these 3 series of trucks or is it simply a liability thing for load ratings?
This subject has come up several times already on this forum and no one has ever come up with the answer. I'm sure that Ford is not selling you thin air for big bucks. I have yet to see anyone mention the possibility of thicker sheet metal at critical areas of the unibody to enable the van to actually carry more weight.

In the 70's a good Dodge mechanic co-worker and friend upgraded his 1/2 ton Dodge pickup truck to a 3/4 ton by swapping the rear axle and a lot of parts, except for the frame. The 3/4 ton had a thicker/stronger/heavier frame. The only way he could duplicate that would be to go out and buy a 3/4 ton truck.....do it right the first time around.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This subject has come up several times already on this forum and no one has ever come up with the answer. I'm sure that Ford is not selling you thin air for big bucks. I have yet to see anyone mention the possibility of thicker sheet metal at critical areas of the unibody to enable the van to actually carry more weight.

In the 70's a good Dodge mechanic co-worker and friend upgraded his 1/2 ton Dodge pickup truck to a 3/4 ton by swapping the rear axle and a lot of parts, except for the frame. The 3/4 ton had a thicker/stronger/heavier frame. The only way he could duplicate that would be to go out and buy a 3/4 ton truck.....do it right the first time around.
All the body components should have part numbers. Body shops need them for repairs. Just a matter of looking them up to see if there are any differences to be found there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

I did look up the main frame pieces (P/N posted earlier) and they are all the same.

What is odd here is if I asked about an F150, F250 and F350 we can all discuss the different parts each truck uses, yet the transit uses all the same part numbers.. including main frame pieces. I did talk to two reps at FoMoCo and they did not have an answer either so I'd have to said thin air is what it's looking like so far.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All the body components should have part numbers. Body shops need them for repairs. Just a matter of looking them up to see if there are any differences to be found there.
I looked them up and they are the same..

150 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D
250 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D
350 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D

150 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C
250 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C
350 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C

These are all Ford part numbers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Perchance does ford only stock the heaviest duty parts for repairs? That way no one could use the cheaper 150 parts on a 350 repair?
Anything is possible but why wouldn't they do the same for their trucks or E series vans?

When I measured leaf springs between the 150 and 350 they measured the same.... so unless they are using different materials, heat treat process or unicorn dust.. they appear to be the same. On a F150 to F350 their is a visual difference plus different part numbers. I am hoping someone can chime in with an exact difference on these 3 different series of trucks..

This is my guess.. they are all the same.. Ford up charges for liability reasons and warranty repair offset between the 3 series. That is an opinion with no facts to back it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"I have yet to see anyone mention the possibility of thicker sheet metal at critical areas of the unibody to enable the van to actually carry more weight."

Do you really think Ford has different unibodies to carry an additional measly 400lbs? I seriously doubt it. If so, why does no one at Ford or any dealer have this information when questioned? Furthermore, the GCWR is the same. If the unibody was stronger, I would think the GCWR would be higher.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
When I measured leaf springs between the 150 and 350 they measured the same.... so unless they are using different materials, heat treat process or unicorn dust.. they appear to be the same.

This is my guess.. they are all the same..
They are different whether it is heat treating or alloy or ??. If you look in the Ford tech specs the rating for the rear springs are different. You cannot judge a spring by visual means alone.
I don't recall exactly but there are something like 9 different part numbers for the rear springs. We've been down that road before in other threads.
The rear shocks have different part numbers as well.
I know for a fact, since I've owned both, the rear springs on the 350HD are even different between van and wagon. The wagon springs are rated less ie softer.

Added in edit- went and found the list of rear spring ratings- here they are in lbs>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
They are different whether it is heat treating or alloy or ??. If you look in the Ford tech specs the rating for the rear springs are different. You cannot judge a spring by visual means alone.
I don't recall exactly but there are something like 9 different part numbers for the rear springs. We've been down that road before in other threads.
The rear shocks have different part numbers as well.
I know for a fact, since I've owned both, the rear springs on the 350HD are even different between van and wagon. The wagon springs are rated less ie softer.
Thanks for your input. Can you tell me the different part numbers for the springs on a 148" MR 2018? I keep coming up with the same part number for all 3. I even pulled VINs offline and called a dealership for rear springs on a 150 and 350 and they give me the same part number.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thanks for your input. Can you tell me the different part numbers for the springs on a 148" MR 2018? I keep coming up with the same part number for all 3. I even pulled VINs offline and called a dealership for rear springs on a 150 and 350 and they give me the same part number.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2017/ford/transit-350/base-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

Shows 7 different springs just on a 350. They are different prices as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 127 Posts