Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the load ratings and the emblems on the back what is the difference between these 3 series? When I look up part numbers for axles, rotors, brakes, springs, frame rails, etc they all have the same part number. Is there any real difference between these 3 series of trucks or is it simply a liability thing for load ratings?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the only differences among the 150, 250, and 350 are the price, the emblem, and the rear spring rate.
That's about it.

Good on the OP, for going to the trouble to look up the part numbers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This question is quite a surprise to me this Wednesday Tuesday morning in Perth, Australia, because this is much the same as what had me searching the English Transit forum as well as google last night before bed.

I tend to deduce that the differences between the USA models and English models is mainly to do with the drivetrain, as the bodies do tend to look similar, and I suspect it would be economicallty viable to manufacture a common body for both derivatives, rather than build two different bodies to do the same thing.

My Transit has the model: 90 - T350 enscribed under the front quarter-windows, and so last night I was curious as to the meaning of this model description. I searched for an hour and found nothing in the way of a model list from 1965 to 2018, or even that of 2001 when mine was produced. Not even Wikipedia was able to list the various models of Ford Transit, so I am glad that someone else has opened a thread on this illusive question because I have already asked enough stupid questions here. (Not that this is a stupid question to my mind, but I'm no 'expert', y'unnerstand?)

Does anyone know where there might be a link to some historical list of all the Transit models, so that I can determine what this "90 - T350" specifically specifies?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When I was shopping I found the only difference between the 150 and 250 was the rear spring part number and the emblem on the rear door. The springs list for about $300 and the emblem about $15, if memory serves me.

For this, on a new van, Ford prices the 250 about $1000 higher. The total capacity difference is about 400 lbs. Both vehicles will carry over a ton and a half inside.

I wasn't looking at the 350, so didn't do similar research, but see no compelling reason for the difference to be anything other than springs, or the DRW axle option.

Another minor difference is that the 150 short wheel base is the only model available with barn doors, all others have sliders. (corrected: Barn Doors are a Low Roof only thing.)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Eiko. I had a closer scan through the page, and checked over the references. There looks like quite a good bit of reading on Ford models in general which I might set aside some time to peruse more closely on the weekend. Still no specifics on where this mysterious '90 - T350' fits into the lineup. I suppose I have a Big One, judging by the 150-250-350 list, although it still makes me wonder.

The other complicating factor is that the previous owner before me has apparently had more heavy-duty springs fitted so that his wife could carry 2 tonnes, so I guess that makes mine actually a 90 - T450, if the only difference between the 150, 250, & 350 is the rear springs; load capacity.

It is not exactly an urgent nor important matter, because it is what it is, whether I know what it is or not. Really just curiosity and having searched for this last night, and then seen this thread this morning, I thought that I would not likely find a better thread to query the meaning of '90 - T350' than here. Now I guess nobody really knows what it means. ;)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The 90 part of 90-T350 may have nothing to do with your van model. It may simply refer to the window.

EDIT: Nevermind, you and GapRunr seem to have it sorted. I misread your post as '90-350' being enscribed on the window glass, not below it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the T350 with the 2.4 litre 90 horsepower diesel
Spot on, GapRunr! Now I understand what the '90' stands for because I just checked the spec's in the Owners' Manual, and the 2.4l Duratorq comes in a (120) & (125) which are 88 & 92 hp respectively.

I have a clue as to what the '350' might stand for now too, having just read the official spec's from the state transport department's website that they list as the record my latest pride & joy.

Tare: 1,709kg. Aggregate: 3,500kg.

I don't know how that would work for the T150, because I know it would have an agg. higher than 1,500kg. It is quite a coincidence though, if the 350 refers to agg. weight / 10.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I was shopping I found the only difference between the 150 and 250 was the rear spring part number and the emblem on the rear door. The springs list for about $300 and the emblem about $15, if memory serves me.

For this, on a new van, Ford prices the 250 about $1000 higher. The total capacity difference is about 400 lbs. Both vehicles will carry over a ton and a half inside.

I wasn't looking at the 350, so didn't do similar research, but see no compelling reason for the difference to be anything other than springs, or the DRW axle option.

Another minor difference is that the 150 short wheel base is the only model available with barn doors, all others have sliders.
I have a 2016 long wheel base 250 with the "barn doors".....that's the way I ordered it.....sure wish they were available with the medium roof.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's funny how calling a vehicle 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton (150, 250, or 350) doesn't really mean anything these days. I took the "350" badge off the back of mine because our neighborhood doesn't allow 1 ton or larger trucks. I always associated the 350 or 3500 badge with a one ton truck. The title says 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
194 Posts
" Another minor difference is that the 150 short wheel base is the only model available with barn doors, all others have sliders."

I'm pretty sure that only low roof models can have passenger side barn doors regardless of length. My 148'' wagon has barn doors.

MM

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I spent some time on this topic before ordering my Ford Transit. I ended up ordering a 150 as not a single sales person, Ford online or parts department could tell me what the difference is between the 3 series (in a long MR model). Here are the part numbers taken from 2 different Ford parts dealers.

150 axle w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4234-A
250 axle w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4234-A
350 axle w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4234-A

150 axle housing w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4010-J
250 axle housing w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4010-J
350 axle housing w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-4010-J

150 leaf spring w/o dual wheel w/o 3.2L diesel part number is - CK4Z-5560-Q
250 leaf spring w/o dual wheel w/o 3.2L diesel part number is - CK4Z-5560-Q
350 leaf spring w/o dual wheel w/o 3.2L diesel part number is - CK4Z-5560-Q

150 rear hub assembly single w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-1109-A
250 rear hub assembly single w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-1109-A
350 rear hub assembly single w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-1109-A

150 rotor w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-2C026-C
250 rotor w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-2C026-C
350 rotor w/o dual wheel part number is - CK4Z-2C026-C

150 brake left caliper part number - CK4Z-2553-C
250 brake left caliper part number - CK4Z-2553-C
350 brake left caliper part number - CK4Z-2553-C

150 brake rear pad part number - CK4Z-2200-C
250 brake rear pad part number - CK4Z-2200-C
350 brake rear pad part number - CK4Z-2200-C

150 stabilizer bar rear part number - CK4Z-5A772-D
250 stabilizer bar rear part number - CK4Z-5A772-D
350 stabilizer bar rear part number - CK4Z-5A772-D

150 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D
250 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D
350 floor rail assembly part number - CK4Z-6110457-D

150 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C
250 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C
350 frame rail assembly part number - HK4Z-16054-C

A few sales people and parts department tried telling me the springs were different. I looked at a 150, 250 350 and measured the springs and they are all the same. The also carry the same part number (part numbers above) . They stated the part number is the same but the part is different per VIN number. I find this impossible as how the heck would the dealer order stock? Also when stock comes in how do they identify which spring is for which using the same exact part number.

The up charge for the long MR was as follows:
From a 150 to 250 with options is $1,200 up charge
From a 150 to 350 same options is $2200 up charge

That's a **** of an up charge for a door sticker & rear emblem

Here are the two sites I used to look up the parts:
https://www.superdutydepot.com/Ford_...ansit-350.html
https://www.fordpartsonsale.com/

·
Registered
237 Posts
SlowSBC - your a guy who will never be taken for a sucker. Best most thorough answer on this post. Thanks for the time and effort for the post. I want to do another conversion (currently have a DRW) on a smaller van, and could not see the difference of a 150 to 250 other than more money. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The up charge for the long MR was as follows:
From a 150 to 250 with options is $1,200 up charge
From a 150 to 350 same options is $2200 up charge

That's a **** of an up charge for a door sticker & rear emblem
Just business as usual for a car company, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for doing this research!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SlowSBC - your a guy who will never be taken for a sucker. Best most thorough answer on this post. Thanks for the time and effort for the post. I want to do another conversion (currently have a DRW) on a smaller van, and could not see the difference of a 150 to 250 other than more money. Thanks.
Thank you, palmer. I really appreciate that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just business as usual for a car company, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for doing this research!
It really is sad if there are no differences and the up charge is that high. Ford may be playing the liability game and up charging for it. I'd love to see how that would play out if an incident did happen and Ford tried to pin it on the vehicle exceeding it's payload rating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2017 Transit 148WB, mid roof, 250 I have four wheel disk brakes, my 2017 low roof 130 WB 150 does not. Not sure what the other differences are.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts