Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been discussed here before but I wanted to poll those who have actually bought a 130”WB transit for traveling and camping (not necessarily for trades work) and wished they had purchased the 148”?
Hein at DIYvan seems to be the most well known member here that switched to long WB - not sure if I saw why. So who has been happy with their 130” choice? After driving a 148” for a week it has great space but it’s a bit long in the butt for my neighborhood? Experiences here? TIA.

·
Registered
111 Posts
130 MR AWD and no regrets. Darn near drives like a sports car! lol

And you can park it anywhere...

Only real challenge is being very deliberate with every choice in the interior.

Only 6” shorter than the 136 Promaster tho and there are numerous awesome builds using that wheelbase.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you believe that the rated curb weight between 130MR and 148MR is only ~130lbs more.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can you believe that the rated curb weight between 130MR and 148MR is only ~130lbs more.
Yes.
Not sure of the steel in the van but say it is14g.a @ 3.125 lb/sqft.
Rough estimate - the van is 7ft square cross section (including bends, etc for structure)
7ft x 4sides x 18in /12in/ft = 42 sq ft of steel
42sq ft x 3.125 lbs/sqft = 131 lbs

·
Registered
204 Posts
Due to parking restrictions we potentially could only get a 130WB while wanting a 148.

The three significant things I remember at the time for not wanting the 130WB:

1) Couldn't get it in HR
2) Rear doors don't swing all the way around like the HR (assume because the slider would interfere)
3) EcoBoost engine didn't appear to be available in any 130WB Passenger configuration (tho I think it was in Crew/Cargo)

The lack of HR ended up being the deal-breaker, but in reality it would have been too small -- I think I'd measured there only being 6' (practical) between the slider opening and the back door, and that would all be consumed by a N-S bed. I'm very pleased we ended up getting the 148HR, though don't have to contend with parking it in a city.

·
Registered
1 Posts
130 MR AWD and no regrets. Darn near drives like a sports car! lol

And you can park it anywhere...

Only real challenge is being very deliberate with every choice in the interior.

Only 6” shorter than the 136 Promaster tho and there are numerous awesome builds using that wheelbase.
Im thinking of the same rig. Curious how you find the Mid Roof?

·
Registered
70 Posts
130 wagon owner with seats removed. Chose the 130 only because we use it to work in big metro areas and need to be able to park as close to our stop as possible. Similar to the long Econolines, it's more difficult to find parking when you're longer.
Our 2015 has ecoboost 3.5. I don't believe you can get this engine on the 2021 130" T150. I'd like to purchase a new one but I like the Ecoboost. Not sure why the Ecoboost has disappeared from the 130"

·
Registered
111 Posts
The three significant things I remember at the time for not wanting the 130WB:

1) Couldn't get it in HR
2) Rear doors don't swing all the way around like the HR (assume because the slider would interfere)
3) EcoBoost engine didn't appear to be available in any 130WB Passenger configuration (tho I think it was in Crew/Cargo)
1) Correct, MR only
2) Doors swing 270 degrees
3) Mine is a 130 MR 250 AWD EcoBoost (cargo)

·
Registered
44 Posts
130 wagon owner with seats removed. I'd like to purchase a new one but I like the Ecoboost. Not sure why the Ecoboost has disappeared from the 130"
Same. I'd order up a 130 wagon with Ecoboost tomorrow.

Heck, today.

I keep hoping Ford reads these posts. Ha!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im thinking of the same rig. Curious how you find the Mid Roof?
When making my purchase I had both roof heights / lengths in AWD available to choose from. I stepped inside the 148 HR and said to myself, “Ah... this is why people choose this roof height / length combo.”

I stepped inside the MR shortie and said to myself, “This is the perfect length and roof height and I can stand up straight between the roof ribs!” (I’m tall so that was important)

The difference in the way each drove was night and day. If I wanted to drive an RV around I would’ve purchased one, and that’s what the 148 HR felt like to me.

Instead I chose the 130 MR for how nimble and fun it is to drive (it’s pretty amazing), how easy it is to park (literally anywhere), and how much better I expect that it will perform off-road (all of my Toyota TRD Off Road trucks and Jeeps were the shorter wheelbase for the same reason).

I don’t even notice or think about the roof height and do not hit my head, but I will have to be super deliberate and creative when insulating the ceiling in the standing areas of the van, galley area, etc. I have a few really good ideas but haven’t implemented either yet...

The space inside of the 148 HR was appealing, but in applying the 80/20 rule the 130 MR shortie made much more sense to me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
112 Posts
I have a 148MR and wish it were the 130. It takes up a lot of space in the drive, but more important is visiting my daughter in the heart of Baltimore where the streets were laid out for horse-drawn wagons. Everybody there has a small car and the 130 would at least have a better chance to fit into parking spaces when they open up. The 130 would still have a longer bed and more interior room than my old F150 and I bought the van to be a pickup that I could sleep & camp in.

I’m 6 ft tall and have to tilt my head a bit but the MR height has been fine.

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
57 Posts
I like the 130 size and I'm glad I'm short enough to be comfortable in the mid roof. While I don't live or work in a big city, I do have to drive onto a large university campus every day and park in a lot with limited turnaround space. I find the space inside is big enough, but I'm not trying to sleep in it. I could see a 130 for a skimpy build if I were solo maybe, but if there were two or more I think it would be really tight.

·
Registered
2020 T150 Passenger Low Roof 130 AWD
51 Posts
Recently chose the 2020 130 Low Roof AWD wagon. It became a window 'crew van' by retaining only the dual rear seat.

Was tempted to buy a MR 148 for those few hours I'd be inside the van in bad weather camping BUT decided the majority of the hours will be spent driving and don't want to deal with parking length. I can still sit comfortably inside to wait out a storm. I don't plan to cook in a van. The LR will buffet less on the interstate and be easier to park under shade trees where I sometimes camp.

Came to the Transit from a minivan and this is better without going 'big'. I like the quick release seats, increased space and higher headspace (over a minivan), tow capacity, best available nimble driving, nimble parking, less scraping of the tow hitch on WV roads (better departure angle).

One possible problem I'm still sorting out with the LR and the 130 is it seems like aftermarket accessories cater to MR and HR.

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT
57 Posts
Recently chose the 2020 130 Low Roof AWD wagon. It became a window 'crew van' by retaining only the dual rear seat.

Was tempted to buy a MR 148 for those few hours I'd be inside the van in bad weather camping BUT decided the majority of the hours will be spent driving and don't want to deal with parking length. I can still sit comfortably inside to wait out a storm. I don't plan to cook in a van. The LR will buffet less on the interstate and be easier to park under shade trees where I sometimes camp.

Came to the Transit from a minivan and this is better without going 'big'. I like the quick release seats, increased space and higher headspace (over a minivan), tow capacity, best available nimble driving, nimble parking, less scraping of the tow hitch on WV roads (better departure angle).

One possible problem I'm still sorting out with the LR and the 130 is it seems like aftermarket accessories cater to MR and HR.
I had similar usage concerns too and looked hard for a low roof but eventually went with a mid after lots of to and fro discussions. Learned the full value the first time I was getting ready to ride and could stand to put on bib tights without needing to be outside! Sold on the extra height from that moment.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have had zero issues parking our 148" non-extended MR. It shorter than the herds of Bro-dozers (jacked-up full size trucks) that roam my neighborhood. And with a sliding passenger door, ingress and egress in tight parking spots is never an issue.

Reactions: Benj
1 - 20 of 46 Posts