Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to pick between shorter wheelbase and higher roof vs longer wheel base and low roof which is better? Obviously they both could do things the other can't so there's some trade off and a MR 148 does more than either... The MR 130 has more cargo capacity, will have a tighter turning radius and be easier to move around in so I'm leaning towards that. Can't really see where the extra length with lower roof would be better but am interested in other thoughts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depends on your usage. If you need to move/walk around inside go MR. If it's for equipment storage go LR, assuming size of equipment packs well into LR and doesn't require you to be inside to pack it properly.

Better yet get both MR & LWB! Good to have options.

·
Registered
112 Posts
130 MR. Being able to move around in it with a higher roof when your are working on it or are using it is going to improve the experience immensely. The low roof, even if it is 28 feet long, will start to feel like a coffin eventually.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you're 3'-6" tall, get the low roof, otherwise the medium roof is the way to go, imo.. i love mine, i use it to haul my motorcycle and beach cruiser...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in the same boat - Passenger Van 130MR or 148LR. Could not find the 130MR in the config
I wanted (Ecoboost engine) as I tow a camper. Found an 148LR and love it. Okay I can't stand up
in it but the extra floor space works in having space for all my toys.

When I'm not towing, I have room for a bed and have my dirt bike INSIDE the van with more space
for a bicycle and a few boxes for clothes/food/helmets....... AND I kept the 1st row of seats if I need
to carry a couple of buddies.

The LR does not bother me as except for sleeping, I'm outside most of the time with the slide door
open and an ezup with a chair/table.....

The extra length was really easy to get used to BUT the turning circle is large - I find it harder to reverse
my camper into tight campsites.

Figure out what are your needs and select the right vehicle.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If you don't mind being a hunchback moving around in the LR or grinding your knees into the floor, then the LR is just what you need. The MR gives you the 5' 10" headroom so most of the under 6' owners can walk around inside with NO problems.

If you happen to be looking for a MR 130" WB Transit, you may be at the right place, right time to get one. But you will have to hurry as it may be GONE quickly. Check with [email protected] as one is in our order bank and we are looking to cancel it.

It is a T-150 MR 130" WB with 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.31 Limited Slip rear axle, Oxford White with Pewter Leather seating and a lot of special options. Priced at $36,500 + TTL. It has a August 1st build date with a August 9th to 15th delivery at Matt Ford if it is not cancelled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2017 130 MR passenger van that I swap the seats for a bed and other camping gear as needed. One thing to consider is that the MR is too tall to fit through a standard garage door. If that is not a concern, the MR will offer more cubic feet on the same footprint than a LR. Practically no matter what you are using the van for will work out better if you can stand up while moving around inside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Campwagon, that's exactly the conclusion I came too as I wont be parking in
a garage. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts