Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking around for a roof rack for my 2018 low roof 130” WB and besides the bulky ugly looking industrial ones and the crazy expensive aluminess rack there doesn’t seem to be too many options. Seen a few online but they say low roof but they are for the 148” WB
What racks have you guys installed on your 130” vans?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the Weathergaurd rack. They come bare aluminum but for $40 I had them powder coated black. It's very low profile which is what I needed. It's a work van that I put on a ladder rack when needed using Yakima cross bars. With out the ladder rack it's still under 7' good for the car wash or ramps downtown.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hein @ DIY Van could probably design a rack for you out of 80/20 - at the very least you could order his mount kit and DIY one - his installs are used mostly for solar arrays but he may be able to design you something for carrying stuff if that's what you want to use it for. It has the potential for being less than an Aluminess rack but it all depends on how much material you end up using. 80/20 is not cheap - nor is aluminum in general hence the cost of anything Al these days. You will find aesthetics, cost, quality, and durability are all related to cost and effort. If you want cheap - it will most likely look cheap - and it probably won't last. I have seen some HEINOUS looking racks on otherwise nice looking vans when people try going cheap. If you don't mind the work truck look, then I guess it doesn't matter - if putting a $200 rack on a $50K van makes sense to ya, go for it. On the other hand.... unless you are a fabricator, you really don't have many options.

I am a dealer for Aluminess - I can attest from experience that they are the Apple Computer of van life - their stuff, while expensive, is without question the highest quality, best looking, and once installed - something you will just never have to worry about . Unlike Apple, everything Aluminess makes is 100% hand made in the USA - that comes with a price.

Ditto for Hein's items - His solar racks and build accessories are 2nd to none , and use USA sourced custom parts. I get constant comments on how awesome the rack looks & how stealthy they are - and the other stuff he sells saves me a lot of time and $.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I used Ford's 4-bar set on my 130, attaching three bars to the existing mounting locations and mounting the fourth bar to the roof beam at the B-pillars. I put a solar panel on the driver side of the bars and built a long narrow "expedition basket" on the passenger side. Attached two longitudinal 1-1/2" aluminum tubes to the bars as side rails using galvanized U-bolts. Fastened 4" x 4" x 6 gauge galvanized wire mesh store to the bars with stainless steel zip ties.
Mounting rack towers to B-pillar roof rib
Roof rack phase 2 - mounting side rails to roof bars
Roof rack done - inexpensive "expedition basket"

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Here is an example of a 148 MR project - in progress photos.

It isn't difficult - just a bit expensive to build using 8020 components.

The nice thing about using a long rail on each side is that the rail can be longer than the natural length of the roof. For example this one extends about 1/2 way to the bumper edge.

The roof is designed for 200 - 300 lbs, so solar panels and few misc items are the limit anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.