Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford 12 volt plug sockets turn off the 12 volt power 1/2 hour after the key is turned off. Today I learned that you can turn the power back on for another 1/2 hour using the key fob. Just unlock the doors and relock them resets the time period and sockets get powered for an additional 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Apparently they can also be turned back on by just opening a front door. I was using the the 12v outlet at the back door for my 12v pressure washer and had to turn it back on. Cycled the drivers door. Maybe it's on the same timer as the cargo lights?
JP

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently they can also be turned back on by just opening a front door. I was using the the 12v outlet at the back door for my 12v pressure washer and had to turn it back on. Cycled the drivers door. Maybe it's on the same timer as the cargo lights?
JP
As you said doors work as well. You can also cycle the ignition switch to restart the timer.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As you said doors work as well. You can also cycle the ignition switch to restart the timer.
orton, sorry I forget, in your DIY build are you adding any 12 volt outlets/devices working off your new independent battery? I am also getting the dual batteries in my Wagon, and am planning on going mostly 12 volt for misc. items like immersion heaters, etc., similar to a boat. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
orton, sorry I forget, in your DIY build are you adding any 12 volt outlets/devices working off your new independent battery? I am also getting the dual batteries in my Wagon, and am planning on going mostly 12 volt for misc. items like immersion heaters, etc., similar to a boat. Thanks.
Yes. I will have an 8D 255 amp-hr. house battery. Besides the 12 v DC/120 v AC refrigerator, the main use of the 12 volts is a plug for the 12 volt heating pad that I use instead of a van heater.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's how I dealt with it and set it to full time.

I got fuse taps for ATC and ATM fuses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WK51B2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054EPZZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They don't make one for FMX fuses.

I use one of the small ones to keep the SNYC working after the key's been take out. The radio works, but SYNC, needed for bluetooth music shuts down without the key. :( So, I tapped the + terminal under the hood and sent a hot wire through the firewall. There I ran it near the fuse box and tapped it to a terminal that I push on the blade provided by the tap shown above. I turned the fuse so that the hot line is inserted upstream of the fuse so as to maintain fuse protection.

For the Powerport, that uses a FMX fuse and I made a tap for that by hammering out flat one of the ATC taps and taking the top off a 20 amp FMX fuse. Then I carefully inserted the tip of the tap between the compression slot (for the fuse to the fuse block) and the plastic wall of the fuse. Again on the upstream side and I get 20 amp protection.

I notched out the top of the fuse and put it back on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there anyway to bypass the 30 minute limit on DC without interventions? I have the dual battery option and want to run a DC low-draw CPCP breathing machine for eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. A family member suffers from sleep apnea.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Is there anyway to bypass the 30 minute limit on DC without interventions? I have the dual battery option and want to run a DC low-draw CPCP breathing machine for eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. A family member suffers from sleep apnea.
Use the customer connection point on the outboard side of the driver seat pedestal.
Geographer, if you haven't already, you might want to check orton's DIY thread, and his posts on various threads about his third battery etc.. Ditto for Airedrifter's DIY.

Links:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/1985-orton-diy.html

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/6433-electrical-guts-house-system.html

Also, this site has a good efficient search function powered by Google (boxes to the right). Lastly, this sub-forum's table of contents might be helpful:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/electronics-audio-lighting/

And this one:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Orton, which fridge are you looking at? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orton, which fridge are you looking at? Thanks, Joe
85 liter Vitrofrigo C851804-F

Had a 80 liter Dometic CR1080 U/F in the Sprinter. Did not like the center latch door that did not close properly. Had to close door and then press the edge to latch. When I switched door opening direction was at the end of the adjustment slots.

Vitrofrigo is 5 liters larger and has a proper edge lock door. Also has the compressor mounted at the back bottom instead of the back top. That allows a much larger freezer and uses space that is hard to access.

Anyone had any experience with Vitrofrigo?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Location of rear power point in wagon

Can anyne tell me (or provide a picture) of where the rear power point is in a 12 passenger 350 HR? Up- fitters may have moved/used it and is now not in an area I can see, but would like to know where it was, in case I have a use for it.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
90 Posts
According to my Helm service manual on CD, the rear passenger power point is located about 15 inches rear of the slider door opening and about 8 inches below the window. My CD shows all the wiring for the various Transits. CD is expensive, and includes service and wiring diagrams, locations of every wire, ground and connector. Helm also has a wiring only CD but Ford has not released it yet. Hope this helps. I have seen where others have relocated a socket at the right rear door pillar down near the floor facing forward, as this is where the wire harness is located.

·
Super Moderator
2,229 Posts
According to my Helm service manual on CD, the rear passenger power point is located about 15 inches rear of the slider door opening and about 8 inches below the window.
Yes, that is where it is on my 12 passenger low roof, next to the molded cupholder.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
According to my Helm service manual on CD, the rear passenger power point is located about 15 inches rear of the slider door opening and about 8 inches below the window.

Radioman & asdrew,

Thank you both. Now I know where to try and find it. That area has my wheelchair lift and motor , probably why I can't see it. But now I can find a way to use it. :D

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Well,

Guess I know why I couldn't see the rear power point. I have the automatic door opener and the cover for it runs in that area,:( I'll ask my up-fitter if they used it or just covered it during the install.

Semper Fi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts