Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I need a bit of help. I have a 2017 250 transit Van? where can I hook up a simple 12 volt remote wire? To turn on ADC DC charger

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dig around under the drivers seat and there should be a couple of connectors on the right side. One of those should do what you want. You might have to splice into a wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need one that turns on only when the key is on? Will this do that?
Dig around under the drivers seat and there should be a couple of connectors on the right side. One of those should do what you want. You might have to splice into a wire.
Thank you. I have pretty basic knowledge of stereo equipment and basic knowledge of my multmeter . What setting what I need it to be on to test?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello I need a bit of help. I have a 2017 250 transit Van? where can I hook up a simple 12 volt remote wire? To turn on ADC DC charger
Find the C33-e connector under the seat, not sure if the 2017 has 6 or 10 pins, if you have 6 pins the one grounds out when the engine is running, a simple relay circuit will give you a 12 signal when the engine is running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Find the C33-e connector under the seat, not sure if the 2017 has 6 or 10 pins, if you have 6 pins the one grounds out when the engine is running, a simple relay circuit will give you a 12 signal when the engine is running
Thank you

·
Registered
138 Posts
I need one that turns on only when the key is on? Will this do that?

Thank you. I have pretty basic knowledge of stereo equipment and basic knowledge of my multmeter . What setting what I need it to be on to test?
Here is a simple example of the relay connections that I used, I bought something like this pigtail connector 3U2Z-14S411-JBA, and a standard automotive relay

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
This isn't completely accurate. There's a plug that Ford calls a Vehicle Interface Connector (C33-E), as dinocarsfast mentioned. One of these is a switched GROUND (not 12v+) that you can tie into with a relay to create a switched positive Engine Run Signal. I detail some specifics on Page 2 of my build thread. I found this page on Morey's In Transit site quite helpful when I did this to my own van.

Craig

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to do the same and decided to tap into a fuse that only works when the key is in the "on" position.

1: buy a fuse tap(pic 3) Amazon.com: JABINCO 5 Pack 12V Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder: Industrial & Scientific

2: pull of the trim piece under the steering column.

3: locate "rain sensor" fuse. This a 5 amp fuse below another 5 amp fuse but it's the one closest to the driver seat: pics 1 and 2

4: pull out the 5 amp rain sensor fuse.

5. re-install 5 amp fuse for rain sensor into the slots shown by the red arrow.

6. install a new 10-15 amp fuse(depending on wire size) into the slots shown by the blue arrow.

7: install fusetap with both fuses and the red wire coming out to the right of the fuse tap into the original place where you pulled the 5 amp fuse. you don't want the wire pointing to the left even though it would work or your wire to your charger will not be protected by the fuse.

8. attach wire to the end of the fuse tap (near thumb in pic above).

Optional: install toggle switch that can turn off charger even when the engine is running in case you don't want to charge your batts the whole time your driving even though your batts should disconnect when they are full. For example, you might want solar to do some of the work or you might not want 100% charge which takes an added toll on your alternator if you don't need your batts to be fully charged. Or, you might need to crank up a high power stereo and don't want to overwork the alternator.. etc.. it just gives you options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A couple of more pictures... The first pic shows the fuse tap installed into the slot for the rain sensor. The 2nd pic is my toggle.. and the 3rd is my electrical system(still in progress) 4th is 670 watts of solar (2 X 335 Watt LG pannels)

Reactions: asdrew
1 - 14 of 14 Posts