Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know my van could go this fast.

This morning driving back from Spokane area back to the Flathead, on a rural road where the speed limit is 70, With cruise control set at 70, I gradually rolled up behind a 90's generation Nissan sedan that was driving at 65. I timed my closing speed so that when I reached a straight passing area, a very long straight, I put on my turn signal and floored it. When I was 3/4s of the way past the Nissan, the driver of that car sped up and matched my speed. When I hit 80, he still was accelerating next to me. At 90, I could see a car closing from the other direction. I was almost past him, but he wouldn't back off. I kept the van floored and finally, at over 100, I was able to get around the car. This really pissed me off that the (many curse words) driver did this to me. I though about slamming on the brakes and confronting the driver, and several other options, but the driver backed off to below 80 and I was able to get some distance on him. The other kicker was that 10 miles further up the road, I had to slow down to 35 mph behind an old pickup truck that for some reason an old man was just driving very slow. This slowdown caused the "a**hole" to almost catch back up to me, and as he approached he turned his high beams on me.

I have had my van up to around 90 a few times in the past while passing, but never thought I could drive the van over 100.
I was impressed with how stable the van was, and was remembering how poorly my 84 Camaro Z28 handled at 100.

I've made comments on the forum in other threads about people who flip me off as I pass, or other antics they do when I pass, but this one takes the prize.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
306 Posts
My spouse has not yet driven the Transit. I sometimes do a little tutoring from the driver's seat.

Lesson 1: Be extremely aware and vigilant of height clearance obstructions.
Lesson 2: Drivers will do all types of inconsiderate, illogical, and dangerous manuevers to "not be stuck behind that big fucking van....."
Lesson 3: Always drive it deeper into a turn than you are accustomed to.

For some reason, she still declines the opportunity to take the wheel.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I have reached the 100+ speeds in both of my Transits.....not a the regular highway but on the race track. First time with the 2017 at Tulsa Raceway Park. with 88+ MPH times runs in the 1/4 mile track and a little over 100 past the end line. The 2020 CrewVan was a bit slower at 86 + MPH with a 15.716 timed run. Too much rear axle bounce on the line with the 3.73 rear axle ratio and no real suspension to handle launching off the starting line.

You can go back and do the advanced search feature for 'Tulsa Raceway Park' and see the results on the 2017 MR DSD cargo van and the 2020 Crewvan. There is actually a video of the 2020 CrewVan running down the 1/4 mile track.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
Corner Creepers are bad, but I think the Clingons are worse. The Creepers will go slow until there's a passing lane or straight stretch and then floor it so no ne can pass, the Clingons will just sit 10' off your rear bumper and stay there, even if you slow down to 40 on a straight stretch. Oh, and they hang half their car into the other lane as if looking to see if they can pass, but never do.

When I reported that I had creeped up to 100 when I was driving my van home after I bought it I was informed that I was lying because there's a speed limiter built in. So, all of you are lying.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My experience has been, people absolutely lose their minds when driving behind a high roof van.

I am shocked at what I have seen in just a few thousand miles.

No matter what is happening, you could be behind a long line of cars, heavy traffic, even if everybody is speeding and/or going at a good speed, the person behind you will do just about anything to try and get in front of you.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
In a semi truck you get to play leap frog for miles on end, You pass them going down the hill and they pass you going up the hill. All of this while trying to maintain the posted speed limit with cruse control. Sometimes I just get so mad that pull over on the side of the road and let them get way ahead of me. You lose your license on the second speeding ticket so it is important not to drive more then five miles over the hwy limit.
Once I drove my 80,000 pound semi truck 124 mph on flat ground, I just wanted to see what the top speed was for the truck. That was back in the 1980s when the cops treated trucks like cars, The fines were the same.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Driving faster than 100 has never been a concern in other vehicles I drive or have driven. In one of my cars, 150 isn't a big deal. In all of my higher speed experiences, I have driven under controlled circumstances where one is on a track, or on an open stretch of road where I am all alone as far as the eye can see.
The main reason I wrote about this experience is that for some reason in my van, I have had the most negative experiences passing other vehicles of any vehicle I've ever owned. It must be a psychological issue for of a lot of idiot drivers where they don't want a vehicle larger than them to pass them.

On part of the same drive home Saturday evening, driving on hwy. 20 south between Winthrop and Twist,(Washington) I was mellow and tired after my gravel grinder, so I had the cruise control set at the speed limit of 60. I came up behind a Subaru Outlook that was going 53 mph. Clicking off the cruise control the came up to about 2 car lengths behind the Subaru. First thing I see is the driver giving me the birdie. Within about a 1/2 mile was a passing lane, so I passed. No big deal. As I passed, I could see the woman driver giving me the birdie again. I always wonder why people who drive below the speed limit are surprised that approaching vehicles will come up quickly and close to the back of their car. That perhaps vehicles driving slower than the speed limit on 2 lane roads would irritate faster drivers.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
306 Posts
Another thing to be wary of: Adaptive Cruise Control........(I love it) but.

Even when following distance is at set 1 bar (the setting with the least amount of gap between you and the car in front of you) there is plenty of room for a brainless driver to shoot the gap and pull in at highway speeds. This causes the brakes to kick on, sometimes very hard, and often causes the contents of your vehicle and beverage cup to be tossed all about the van! It also annoys drivers behind you and they begin to get into the "I gotta get around this idiot driving the huuuge van like that!" mindset and the floodgates for more idiocy open.
When I am in a situation where I feel like I know this scenario could happen I end up down shifting 2 gears and this gives the aquarium on wheels much better response and reaction time to mind that gap. This of course negates the fuel economy and stress relieving benefits that the ACC system should be providing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.🤷‍♀️

I wish there was a setting for HALF a bar following distance.

(I have also noticed the ACC system uses different parameters for following distance depending on which driving mode you are in. For instance: In Tow/Haul 1 bar following distance is greater than it when is in Normal, and Eco mode is slightly greater than when in Normal drive mode)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I can’t believe all you old fogies don’t know the universal single finger acknowledgement of approval nowadays……
I wanted to purchase one of these for Halloween, but my wife said - save the money

Sleeve Gesture Finger Thumb Font

·
Registered
126 Posts
the Clingons will just sit 10' off your rear bumper and stay there, even if you slow down to 40 on a straight stretch. Oh, and they hang half their car into the other lane as if looking to see if they can pass, but never do.
This happened to me on I-84 a while back. Probably 1 AM, I'm cruising along at 60 MPH in the right lane, minding my business. Guy rolls up behind me in I believe a Tahoe....and rather than just passing me like everyone else...he's going to make some kind of point by hanging off my rear. So I do what I always do when people follow too close...just take my foot off the gas. I slow to 50...and wait. No pass. So I slow to 45 and wait. No pass. So I slow to 40 and set the cruise control and start up my audiobook. This guy stubbornly sat there and tailgated me for over 20 miles at 40 MPH before he finally got bored, high beamed me, and took off. Not sure what that was all about. People are strange.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I’ve seen all the craziness trying to get around my tall extended van. I think some of it is that they can’t see through your back window and windshield to see what traffic is doing. They assume the van is going slow and want to get in with their day and are surprised when they pass that there is a long line of traffic in front of you.
Happens on the highway and around town.
Fastest I’ve gone so far is about 85.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There often are different mentalities between "local drivers" and "long haul" driving distances. When I am driving short distances, I tend to go slower, and be more tolerant of the weird things others do in their vehicles. When I drive longer distances, I want to put the van on cruise control, 3 to 5 mph over the speed limit. (headwind and crosswind dependent)
I want to drive as consistent as possible and not touch the gas or brake pedal at all, for as long a possible. On 2 lane roads this is where corner creepers and drivers driving below the speed limit irritate me. If I am on cruise control at 73 in a 70, if/when I roll up behind another vehicle I will adjust my speed down to 70 and observe how consistent of a speed they are driving. This determines how motivated I become to pass. If they increase and decrease their speed, then obviously they aren't on cruise control. If they slow down on corners that I could easily take in the van at 75 or 80 on cruise control, then I become irritated and make my decision to pass.

During this past weekend's 800+ mile round trip, I was passed by less than 10 vehicles, drove on cruise control at a max of 7 mph over the limit, (most of the time at 3 to 5 over.) and passed at least 40 other vehicles. (While passing, one can exceed the limit by a wee bit more than 7mph. Besides 25 to 35 limits in cities and towns, the majority of the roads I drove on ranged from 55 to 75 mph, with the majority of the limits being 70 in Montana, and Idaho. In Washington, most of the rural highway limits were 60 mph, despite them being better roads that in Montana would be posted at 70 mph.

·
Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van
236 Posts
Another thing to be wary of: Adaptive Cruise Control........(I love it) but.

Even when following distance is at set 1 bar (the setting with the least amount of gap between you and the car in front of you) there is plenty of room for a brainless driver to shoot the gap and pull in at highway speeds. This causes the brakes to kick on, sometimes very hard, and often causes the contents of your vehicle and beverage cup to be tossed all about the van! It also annoys drivers behind you and they begin to get into the "I gotta get around this idiot driving the huuuge van like that!" mindset and the floodgates for more idiocy open.
When I am in a situation where I feel like I know this scenario could happen I end up down shifting 2 gears and this gives the aquarium on wheels much better response and reaction time to mind that gap. This of course negates the fuel economy and stress relieving benefits that the ACC system should be providing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.🤷‍♀️

I wish there was a setting for HALF a bar following distance.

(I have also noticed the ACC system uses different parameters for following distance depending on which driving mode you are in. For instance: In Tow/Haul 1 bar following distance is greater than it when is in Normal, and Eco mode is slightly greater than when in Normal drive mode)
since the ACC uses IR range finders, i wonder if you could put a filter over the beam and/or receiver [eg 850-950 nm] to trick it into different ranges?

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
This happened to me on I-84 a while back. Probably 1 AM, I'm cruising along at 60 MPH in the right lane, minding my business. Guy rolls up behind me in I believe a Tahoe....and rather than just passing me like everyone else...he's going to make some kind of point by hanging off my rear. So I do what I always do when people follow too close...just take my foot off the gas. I slow to 50...and wait. No pass. So I slow to 45 and wait. No pass. So I slow to 40 and set the cruise control and start up my audiobook. This guy stubbornly sat there and tailgated me for over 20 miles at 40 MPH before he finally got bored, high beamed me, and took off. Not sure what that was all about. People are strange.
I had something like that happen a couple decades ago driving the back way from Palm Springs to San Diego at night. Car got on my butt and stayed there, less than a car length back. I naively assumed they wanted to pass and slowed down, nope. I then used a slow vehicle turnout and they stay in the lane but behind me. Then I just stopped in the next one and they slowly went passed, kept going slow, like 25, and I passed them and they promptly got on my butt again. I tried to outrun them, but I had a little 4cyl Toyota pickup and about any car could keep up, and they did. This was happening for 30 miles or more on the 78 and 67. I stopped at some town and just parked for 5 minutes and of course they were going 25 again when I caught up and I passed them with the same result. Finally got down to La Mesa and there were 4 lanes, and got rid of them. At the time I thought they were intercoursing with me, but in hindsight I think they just had crappy night vision and wanted to follow behind someone.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts