Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2017to 2019, there was a great thread about installing HD camera systems in our vans.
(This thread has been dead for over a year.)(Wondering if any of the proposed systems were ever installed and tested.)

In Post #11, Norb1256 posted a picture that has a monitor mounted above the rear view mirror.

Technology and systems have progressed some in the past 2 years and I am looking into installing a 10.1" +- Monitor in a similar location but my plan is to completely remove the rear view mirror and use a rear facing camera to see out the back of the van.

This is an example of an Android based touch screen unit that I am thinking about trying to use for this function.

It appears to have a couple RCA camera inputs besides a back-up camera input. I would continuously display the rear camera on this disply, and only change it to do other functions when I am stopped or doing system maintenance.

Questions:
  • Has anyone installed one these low profile touchscreen systems for a similar reason?
  • Any idea how well the screens work in daylight/glare, and or are they too bright at night and discract you?
  • Does the boot up time become too much of a hassle versus looking out a traditional rear view mirror?
  • Has anyone researched a similar product?
In my thought process, sure seems like a cost effective way to get a big rear view image with potentially a lot more capability for other options.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How much time are you willing to put into it?

The Transit still adheres to the DIN/double DIN sizing, it'd be easier to get one of the units with the "guts" in a DIN chassis so you don't have to deal w/ mounting. There's so many of them out there, probably want to make the form factor decision first, and then repivot.

Also, have you thought about a digital rear view camera and the Android headunit, so you can have both rearview and a radio/NAV? Most even have recording capabilities now too, for front and rear.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much time are you willing to put into it?

The Transit still adheres to the DIN/double DIN sizing, it'd be easier to get one of the units with the "guts" in a DIN chassis so you don't have to deal w/ mounting. There's so many of them out there, probably want to make the form factor decision first, and then repivot.

Also, have you thought about a digital rear view camera and the Android headunit, so you can have both rearview and a radio/NAV? Most even have recording capabilities now too, for front and rear.
I already have installed a Carbar 12.8 Double DIN unit in the dash. It is an Android headunit with all the latest wonderful features. My existing backup camera works well with this unit.

I am putting together another system primarily for peripheral cameras around the van for security and 7/24 recording. I have already mounted an upper tail light camera and routed this cable to the upper console. I have a forward looking camera and side cameras that I will mount/install when I figure out an upper monitor and the DVR I will purchase. As stated in my first post, Post #11 in the link shows how one person installed a monitor above their rear view mirror. I want to do the same, but with a more recent technology touchscreen monitor/headunit where I can add/enable other features down the road, and possibly remove the rear view mirror completely. Because of this mounting location, I am looking at headrest and low profile double DIN units.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Partial rant because I have a language barrier problem trying to figure out how many cameras a head-unit I am interested in can accept. The most recent response from the Aliexpress seller follows: (I asked: How many inputs are there for cameras/video? 3rd time I have asked the same question, but worded differently each time)

Their response was pasted out of their specification list that I was confused about in the first place.

Introduction of RCA terminal: 2 channels audio output, 2 channels audio input, 2 channels video input, 1 channel reverse input, 1 channel video output Pre-Aux Audio Input: None DVR function: support Logo Replacement: Support Supported Audio Format: MP3/WMA/WAV/APE/FLAC Supported Video Format: RM/RMVB/AVI/MP4/MKV/3GP Supported image format: JPG

I put the bold on the "2 channels video input, 1 channel reverse input"
Does this mean 3 camera inputs total, and that one is controlled by a reverse input, or 2 camera inputs plus a wire that is the reverse input. As is usual for the current generation Chinese head units, there is no user manual, and/or electircal schematic. They just show images of the harnesses that are included with small hard to read text added.

I think it has a total of 3 video inputs, but can't tell for sure. If you guys read this specification, how would you interpret the spec? 2 video inputs total? or 2 video inputs total?

Here is the link in case you guys want to read the specs:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I research, the more irritated I become on how I should mount a 10.1 monitor/head unit in the rear view mirror area. As some may not know, Our rear view mirrors use a "Tri lobe" mirror mount. The mirror adapter I listed above has the standard "U" mount on it. Therefore one will need an adapter to go between the mount on the windshield and a monitor style mirror mount. (Like the link below. Figures these adapter are 2 to 3X the cost of the mirror mount.)

Attachments

Reactions: Eiko

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW, I gave up (for now) on trying to figure out an elegant way to upgrade the head unit and integrate a 360-degree birdseye system into my dash, reading a lot of the same threads and Amazon/Ali/ebay listings in poorly-translated Chinese. I just kept the crappy Ford stock low-end head unit with 2.5" (or whatever, seems really small by 2020 standards) backup camera, and added my own taillight camera and cheap Amazon "rear view mirror" backup and front-view camera/recorder with a homemade windshield mount. The camera and monitor aren't anything expensive or special, but look and work pretty well installed with some spare camera parts (arca-swiss ballhead, piece of painted wood...). Amazon US item B07ZF9FK6W.

So, I'm watching this thread--I'd love to upgrade to a double-DIN 10.1" (or larger) head unit with an elegant 4-camera birdseye and security camera setup, plus an extra monitor where the rear-view mirror would go if I had any windows....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To date, I am please with my Carbar 12.1 2-DIN head unit. It uses the OEM rear camera. The only thing I find a bit irritating with the back-up camera is glare off of the screen at some angles while backing up if direct sunlight hits the screen.

Similar to you, I want an around-the-car camera system, but I want mine to be separate from the head unit, and use a monitor/touchscreen/Android unit as the rear view mirror and to play mobile DVR recordings if I need to in the car. One feature I want is to have the monitor and DVR to both have WiFi so I can access the unit from a computer in my house.
I really don't want to have to run camera harnesses and other wires down from the upper console into the dashboard into the head unit area.

I am slowly mapping it all out, because once I drop the console, headliner, remove the driver seat, then run wires/power from the batteries (battery junction box) up into the console, I only want to take everything apart once.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what this means? This statement is listed in many head units being sold by Chinese vendors.

2 Way Video Output

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to scream! Many explatives! I have yet to get a good consice answer from any one of 3 AliExpress stores I am writing regarding questions about their head unit's specifications.

I want a 10.1" touchscreen low-prifile Android head unit that has total of 3 video inputs. (Back-up camera + 2 auxillary video inputs.) This is the best I have received back to date: (2 images that they attached. One showing a back-up harness, and 2nd one showing the labels on an input harness.)
  • The first image shows the backup camera connector.
  • The second shows the harness with text labels.
There appears to Aux-V and a ADVR-CVBS video inputs.
(CVBS appears to be "Composite Video Blanking and Sync” that follows this standard: 960H video resolution. 960H represents the number of horizontal pixels in a video signal transmitted from a camera or received by a security camera recorder DVR (Digital Video Recorder). 960H represent 960 x 576 (PAL) or 960 x 480 (NTSC) pixels

Who know what the input standard is for Aux-V.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts