Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had the same situation that @orton describes above. Did not notice any flange, and just installed them into the Ford holes with a light push. Only one of the Cross-Nuts failed to tighten properly, and was easily fixed by holding the outside edge with Vice Grips while cleaning the threads with a tap.

If you decide to drill, try and place a wood block behind the hole so you don't risk damaging the exterior sheet metal, or do what @AllYourBass sugested and use a step drill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all for the great ideas here.

Any concerns about chipping off enough paint with the "pound in" or the "star washer" solution to make those spots a source of rust?

Getting ready to build out a van that will spend about 3/4 of the year in Tennessee where we have a ton of humidity.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Thanks all for the great ideas here.

Any concerns about chipping off enough paint with the "pound in" or the "star washer" solution to make those spots a source of rust?

Getting ready to build out a van that will spend about 3/4 of the year in Tennessee where we have a ton of humidity.
Scratching off the paint is a non-issue. Scratching through the undercoating could allow rust to start. Test out the method to see what happens to the finish.

Flat washer can provide same step clearance as star washer without digging in to the paint. My guess is they will work fine to prevent spinners. Bulbed area on cross nut could probably be compressed in a bit prior to inserting to the van. I might try drilling a piece of aluminum with a hole somewhat smaller that that in the van to tap the cross nuts into to compress the bulge a bit before inserting to the van.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts