Ford Transit USA Forum banner

‘Charging System Service Now’

7301 19
Getting an alert ‘Charging System Service Now’ on a 2020 F250 Transit. This is the second time it has happened where it comes on and then goes away while continuing to drive. Wondering if anyone has had a similar 12v sytem fault? I have a 50amp battery to battery charger. Not sure if it faults due to alternator strain or something? House batteries are at 100% though and it’s the heavy duty alternator. Any experience or ideas are much appreciated!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,443 Posts
According to the wiring diagrams that light is wired direct to the alternator, Kind of like the Generator light in old cars that told you your alternator is not charging.
Check the transit battery with a good voltmeter and see if the battery is staying fully charged.

· Registered
97 Posts
Mine has been doing this for 8 months sometimes once a trip, other times 20 times on a 6 hour drive. I have disconnected my DC2DC charger with my breaker disconnect and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I just got back for a 4 hour trip home from Tahoe and it happened 5 times, compared to the 20 the other day. My research hasn't come up with anything other than i have no symptoms other than the light coming on and going off. Also 2020 F250.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 250 Transit also has this issue. I'm using the Renegy DCC50S 50A DC-DC on board battery charger with MPPT. Are we all using the same unit? It happens randomly, often on long drives. And repeating just as guf states. The first time it happened I did disconnect the charging DC to DC circuit at the CCP and that seemed to stop the warning from flashing. I also tried the battery reset sequence which seems to work for short amounts of time. I finally took the van to the dealership yesterday to have them check the vehicle charging system. They found nothing wrong with any of it: heavy duty alternator functioning, batteries fully charged, etc. I've checked my circuits for shorts and found nothing and all my breakers are happy. Engine run sensor also functioning correctly. There must be something about the DCC50S draw that the smart alternator dislikes. I don't think we'll end up stranded but the repeated dinger and dash warnings are annoying.

2020 AWD 148 High Roof Ecoboost

· Registered
97 Posts
Wow great follow up DH! i'm using a Victron DC-DC 15/24. I was using a different DC-DC charger a year ago and it happened then as well just not as often. Thanks for sharing your experience.

· Registered
2020 Ford Transit 350 - 148" Ext, HR, 3.5L Eco, RWD w. LSD. 600ah LIFEPO4, Aluminess Racks
139 Posts
I’ve just had the same ‘Charging System Service Now’ light illuminate for ten seconds or so, then disappear. No indication of any electrical issues with the vehicle, or electrical issues being passed to any of the other systems.

I was able to immediately check my Victron battery charge monitor just seconds after the light illuminated and was able to confirm that the house bank was receiving a charge from the alternator.

So, single warning light illumination, no other symptoms. Action: Will continue to monitor the situation.

· Registered
2020 Ford Transit 350 - 148" Ext, HR, 3.5L Eco, RWD w. LSD. 600ah LIFEPO4, Aluminess Racks
139 Posts
Light on again- making that twice now. Still no sign of charging issues. All systems functioning well. Updates to follow.

I will likely inspect all connections to see if anything is loose.

Any recommendations?

· Registered
5,012 Posts
There is the wiring diagram, Terminal "AS" on the alternator/generator. The red wire goes to a fuse and then directly to the Charging system service now light on the dash.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

· Registered
2020 T150 Passenger Low Roof 130 AWD
284 Posts
Do all these vans have the smart alternator?

· Registered
139 Posts
Am I to understand then that an illumination of the Charging light on the dash would be indicative of an issue directly with the alternator?

If not could you please clarify.

thanks 😊

· Registered
139 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Ok third time getting the light.

I plugged in my ODB2 sensor and found code P0562-00 = System Voltage Low.

Still no other indications of issues.

· Registered
5,012 Posts
Back in the day a few short years ago if that light came on you needed either a new fan belt or else the alternator needed to be replaced, Today with a computer controlling the alternator it is anyone's guess.
It looks like it is time to take it to the dealer or else buy the service manual so you can fix it yourself.

Google the fault code number, It is a start. P0562 OBD-II: System Voltage Low Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC): P0562

· Registered
"Terrapin Station Wagon" aka "VanTerp" 2020 AWD LH
71 Posts
Just got this yesterday in my 2020 250/21k miles. I was towing a small tent trailer and thought that may have caused some disturbance in the force, but it continued today with no trailer. House wires connected to CCP through breaker and fuse block. No alt batteries or solar. Only used lights and fan for short period through the weekend. Checked battery charge with cheap socket meter and got 12.6 after the drive yesterday so all seems fully charged.

In all cases the warning turns off in a few seconds. Leaving for another trip Wednesday AM...hope I don't have any issues.

· Registered
131 Posts
2021 Transit 350 - Went on a cross country trip in my new vehicle. This warning light started coming on randomly at around 7,000 total vehicle miles. Often the battery warning indicator would shut off right away. Sometimes it would stay on until the vehicle was restarted. I disconnected the Renogy 60amp B2B charger and the entire house battery system. No difference the indicator light and warning box still came on. Starting the car was never an issue. Starter motor fired strong and quickly, so not so sure what this indicator is trying to tell me.

· Registered
131 Posts
The "Charging System Service Now" issues has become more pronounced. Today, in addition to this error, it seems like a potential low voltage condition set off many other issues. Including the following error messages "Park Brake Limited Function Service Required" and the "Service Vehicle Soon" wrench indicator light. In addition, my stereo screen as well as all dash lights would shut off. All of these conditions were intermittent.

I thought I would get under the seat and look at the batteries. I noticed a loose cable. Might this loose cable be the issue?. The nut in red is totally loose. It connects at the left rear negative battery terminal under the drivers seat. This is the "Battery Ground Strap"

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

This is the part number of this cable. I could not find either the 340 or KKTE part number

Car Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

I am going to test the batteries at this point.

Attachments

· Registered
131 Posts
I removed both batteries and tested them indivually. Both seem to be fine with 12.85 volts and 800+ in CC amps

Audio equipment Automotive tire Gas Gadget Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font Gauge

I reinstalled the batteries and test drove for about 5-10 miles. No "Charging System Service Now" notifications. Hopefully it was just that loose ground wire.

For added utility I installed trickle charger leads for my CTEK charger at the rear portion of the drivers seat.

· Registered
97 Posts
boy mine has been real bad lately. It used to only happy on long trips and now short 20 minute trips and it goes off 3-5 times. no symptoms other that the annoying chime and light.

· Registered
269 Posts
On a 2020 AWD 10k miles, I just had this warning. I could see low voltage 10.5v but I made it to the dealer who said it was a bad alternator, which was covered under warranty. The power savings mode and this issue happened right after my first connection to the CCP power part. I have disconnected that connection and plan to use the regular fuse box as the draw is minimal for my needs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts