Diesel MPG - Page 8 - Ford Transit USA Forum
 25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #71 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:55:AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Blue Bell, PA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
For me it's beng able to go close to 500 miles on a tank of fuel (22 mpg times 21 gallons = 462 miles or 7.7 hours drive time at 60 mph). It allows me to get to most of the family vacations spots without needing to stop, have the distance to shop for the lowest prices, and travel all night (11 PM to 6:30 AM) without stopping. I love driving at night and stopping for gas means everyone wants a potty stop, eat, drink, etc.

At 22 mpg vs 17 mpg means that for a normal week I only have to fill up once instead of evey four days.

I found the diesel to be right between the 3.7 engine and the 3.5 EB for power. It's also more in tune with how I drive.

The higher mpg just works better for me.

Epps

Ordered: 11/17/2014
VIN Provided: 2/13/2015
Found in Etis: 2/14/2015
Window Sticker Appeared: 2/19/2015
Built: 2/27/2015
Delivered to Explorer Van: 3/18/2015
Delivered to Dealer: 4/7/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delivered to me 4/14/15
E1Z,101A,99V,X3L,16G,17H,18B,18D,41C,41H,43R,52C,5 3B,53K,542,57G,584,59D,61C,63C,
63E,647,66P,67D,68B,90B,90C,91G,96J,21H,67C, with Explorer Van Conversion, PIAA Driving Lights, Ford Hood Guard, Ford Front Window Vents

Last edited by Epps; 03-09-2015 at 09:10:AM. Reason: Added reasons for liking the diesel
Epps is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:04:AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ford offers both gas and diesel in the transit vans, lets see some numbers as to what the difference in mileage is between them. Some average mileage over several thousand miles would be nice, and lets hear some of the worst mileage, not just when you were driving 55 mph in an unloaded van with a tail wind.
rabbitdiesel1 is offline  
post #73 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:53:AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitdiesel1 View Post
Ford offers both gas and diesel in the transit vans, lets see some numbers as to what the difference in mileage is between them. Some average mileage over several thousand miles would be nice, and lets hear some of the worst mileage, not just when you were driving 55 mph in an unloaded van with a tail wind.
There is a sub-forum dedicated to specific MPGs of all shapes and sizes, organized by engine types and rear end ratios:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/f...-mileage-mpgs/

2015 XLT 150 Wagon, 3.5EB/3.31LS, 130" WB, low roof, 8-passenger, full trailer tow incl. brake controller, ordered 12/14, delivered 4/20.
PeterR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #74 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:26:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Originally College Park, MD - now nowhere
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epps View Post
For me it's beng able to go close to 500 miles on a tank of fuel (22 mpg times 21 gallons = 462 miles or 7.7 hours drive time at 60 mph). It allows me to get to most of the family vacations spots without needing to stop, have the distance to shop for the lowest prices, and travel all night (11 PM to 6:30 AM) without stopping. I love driving at night and stopping for gas means everyone wants a potty stop, eat, drink, etc.

At 22 mpg vs 17 mpg means that for a normal week I only have to fill up once instead of evey four days.

I found the diesel to be right between the 3.7 engine and the 3.5 EB for power. It's also more in tune with how I drive.

The higher mpg just works better for me.

Epps

Range is extremely important.

Ford should have offered a larger tank or dual tanks.

Auxiliary gas tanks are, I am hoping, not expensive to add. Anyone know what it would cost to add a 30 gallon tank?


.
Damaskinos_of_Athens is online now  
post #75 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:29:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 5,024
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Fortunately I woke up and realized that fuel economy is not at the top of my requirements. I drove the 08 diesel Sprinter for 6 1/2 years (58,000 miles) and like others always commented to people on the excellent fuel mileage. Did not comment on the anxiety that goes along with diesel ownership or the high service costs. Not as many places to buy fuel and always worried about the emission controls not working correctly. Acceleration was adequate but not inspiring and it did struggle on some hills. Now with the addition of DEF fluid, diesel was not acceptable.
I enjoy the acceleration and the convenience of gas and the availability of many more service locations. I can idle the engine without fear of emission problems. The Transit handling is much better than the Sprinter.

I would still buy a diesel if I was in business and was driving a lot of miles/year and fuel costs were important. Diesel makes sense for those applications. For me at 10,000 miles/year I can not justify the added capitol cost or the higher maintenance costs and potential emission control problems.

Nice that we have a choice of engines and can pick the correct solution for our application.
PeterR and Clam like this.

2015 high roof 148" WB 3.5 Ecoboost 3.31 LS rear cargo.

Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


U-Tube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orton is online now  
post #76 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:58:PM
ted
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Fuel economy definitely shouldn't be a top concern and requirement, after all with the type of vehicle we're working with here, it can only get so good till significant developments are made within this segment that create a great divide, expanding your options.
ted is offline  
post #77 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:57:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orton View Post

.....cut.....

I would still buy a diesel if I was in business and was driving a lot of miles/year and fuel costs were important. Diesel makes sense for those applications. For me at 10,000 miles/year I can not justify the added capitol cost or the higher maintenance costs and potential emission control problems.

Nice that we have a choice of engines and can pick the correct solution for our application.
Excellent point Orton. I'm in the same boat since historically I drive my large van less than 10,000 per year. Plus for camper conversions which cost even more (not hard to exceed $80,000 if store bought instead of DIY), fuel cost differences become minor compared to depreciation, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc...

Even if I decide to go with gasoline, I won't choose one engine over another solely because it might save me $1,500 in fuel costs over 10 years. Like you stated, choices are great for all of us. For me reliability is very important -- more so than durability or lots of power. That's why I prefer the simplest engine choice. Years ago that was clearly diesel, not so sure now.



Chance is online now  
post #78 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:10:PM
Member
 
rbisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaskinos_of_Athens View Post
Range is extremely important.

Ford should have offered a larger tank or dual tanks.

Auxiliary gas tanks are, I am hoping, not expensive to add. Anyone know what it would cost to add a 30 gallon tank?


.
30 Gallon Aluminum Diesel Auxiliary Tank for Ford / Dodge Vehicles -
rbisch is offline  
post #79 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:11:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
Fuel economy definitely shouldn't be a top concern and requirement, after all with the type of vehicle we're working with here, it can only get so good till significant developments are made within this segment that create a great divide, expanding your options.
I personally think we are almost there now from an engine standpoint.

Engine "peak" fuel efficiencies haven't changed much for a while. A lot of improvement in this area has been achieved by downsizing engines so that they can operate closer to their peak efficiency. For strictly city driving they can still downsize further or add hybrid electric motors, but for vans that spend much of their time on highways at fast speeds, engines are already about as efficient as they are going to get in the foreseeable future.

The best way to improve MPG now is to reduce load on engine. That's why these modern vans are more sensitive to lower speeds than older models with large V8s and V10s.



Chance is online now  
post #80 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:22:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
It would appear that this tank is designed to be mounted above the floor of the vehicle, and then to feed by gravity into the regular tank. Also, is there sufficient access to permit cutting into the Transit's fill tube, given its unique neck location behind the front door?

http://www.jmesales.com/Docs/AuxInst...structions.pdf

An OEM auxiliary tank below the floor would be preferable IMO.

2015 XLT 150 Wagon, 3.5EB/3.31LS, 130" WB, low roof, 8-passenger, full trailer tow incl. brake controller, ordered 12/14, delivered 4/20.
PeterR is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel MPG mojogoat Ford Transit Mileage and MPGs 11 11-08-2015 07:52:PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome