Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Any Particular Year(s) to Stay Away From?

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  alarmist 
#1 ·
Hello All,

1st post here, I'm in the market for a Transit and haven't decided on 3.7 vs eco, pretty sure it'll be a 148/Medium. I also haven't decided on new vs used, with that said is there any specific year or year/engine combination that is particularly better or worse?

#2 ·
They are almost exactly the same from 2015-2019. Other than a sticker saying what year the van is, there will be no difference. That's how Ford rolls.

#9 ·
The rearview camera and other electronic gadgetry is not part of the drivetrain, which is what the question was about.
And besides, aftermarket audio/navigation is far superior at 1/4 the cost of anything a manufacturer has to offer.

#7 · (Edited)
My 2015 custom order has front side airbags.
It also is a 6" screen nav mytouch, but with Sync2...which is kinda sucky.
But outside of an early issue with a popout window, been pretty trouble free.

#12 ·
Plus, 2018 and later, the rear view is mounted near the roof, so better view.

Impression I get is that the van was almost identical in every year, but the bits that changed were the bits that broke or were annoying.

So likely an inherently better van the newer you go.

Once the 2020 comes out, might be so many folks going gaga, perhaps justifiably, over the new bits that demand will drop for the previous years and you will get a much better deal.

-

#15 ·
Says the man with a 2015 T250.

(signed)
Your fellow lab rat.
>:D

#21 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like the biggest issue is value, more upfront cost, more fuel cost with minimal gains. If a good deal could be had on a used one perhaps they are worth considering.

What's considered a long idle 5 minutes or 1 hour?

#23 ·
I can also confirm no side airbags on the 2015 cargo (standard).
I watched to see if there were any issues before I bought my 2015 in 2016. I read a lot of expediters forums, because they put on a lot of miles. I wasn't concerned about it after that, and got one.
Lynette; you LIKE the turning radius?! Mine turns like a semi! But I had a T1N Sprinter before the Transit, and it's turning radius seemed almost as tight as our Fiat 500e. I could do a U turn in our street with the Sprinter, but with the Transit it's a 3-point turn.

Reactions: alarmist
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.