Air lift , air suspension. Need opinions on which kit to get. - Page 2 - Ford Transit USA Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:14:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Destin, Florida
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
HI:
I am looking for information relating to airbag lifts. Not for increase weight capacity but for lifting back end of my 2015 350HD. I have completed my Conversion with exception of installing the Onan 3200 genset under and behind the back axle. Upon installing the metal rack where the genset will mount I end up with only 6 inches of ground clearance. So until I find a way to lift back end another 7" I am stuck with carrying my genset on a hitch mounted luggage carrier. Not what I had planned but functional. I continue to hope that I can find away to lift back end another 7". I have searched for air bag aftermarket products.. They make them for the 2015 transit but not the dually. I have asked a local fabricator if he could take the airbag product available and reconfigure the brackets.? I welcome you comments positive or negative.. I'm ready!

2015 350HD 3.5L EB, HIGH ROOF, DRW LWB EL, Passenger Wagon, MyTouch. Tuxedo Black aka RoadWagon-Destin
rascorp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:13:PM
Junior Member
 
BlueMeanies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went ahead and got the 5000 ultimate and the dual wireless w/compressor. The $100 rebate was the clincher.

Had Ride Rights on my last truck. No onboard compressor. I got tired of pulling out the portable 12v compressor and the tire pressure gauge and then fussing with the different pressures in order to get the truck to ride correctly.

The older I get the lazier I get...
BlueMeanies is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:28:PM
Senior Member
 
Budsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascorp View Post
HI:
I am looking for information relating to airbag lifts. Not for increase weight capacity but for lifting back end of my 2015 350HD. I have completed my Conversion with exception of installing the Onan 3200 genset under and behind the back axle. Upon installing the metal rack where the genset will mount I end up with only 6 inches of ground clearance. So until I find a way to lift back end another 7" I am stuck with carrying my genset on a hitch mounted luggage carrier. Not what I had planned but functional. I continue to hope that I can find away to lift back end another 7". I have searched for air bag aftermarket products.. They make them for the 2015 transit but not the dually. I have asked a local fabricator if he could take the airbag product available and reconfigure the brackets.? I welcome you comments positive or negative.. I'm ready!
I remember pointing out to you the one kit, Ride-Rite, that was available for the 350HD awhile back. Unfortunately they stopped production of them before *I* could get one!
From what I could tell they still sell them in Europe but I could never find a way to get one.

I used the Air Lift kit for the regular Transits and was able to make it work..had to reverse the upper brackets to position the bag mounting more inboard and fabricate the lower mount out of 5" wide 1/4" thick flat bar.

BTW you are NOT going to get 7" of lift out of an air bag kit- maybe half that.
spider likes this.

"Beluga" 2015 350HD 3.2D, 3.73, EL, HR.
Budsky is online now  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:07:PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsky View Post
I used the Air Lift kit for the regular Transits and was able to make it work..had to reverse the upper brackets to position the bag mounting more inboard and fabricate the lower mount out of 5" wide 1/4" thick flat bar.
Do you have any pictures of your installation? Interested in the bottom bracket you fabricated. Thanks.
2015transit is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:14:PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsky View Post
I used the Air Lift kit for the regular Transits and was able to make it work..had to reverse the upper brackets to position the bag mounting more inboard and fabricate the lower mount out of 5" wide 1/4" thick flat bar.
I'm with 2015transit: would love to get details of your installation if you have some time to respond. I currently have a 2017 350HD on order and will be converting it to a camper next year (I'll be posting my build thread here and on my blog). Although I am mechanically inclined, I don't know much about vehicle suspensions so please assume I know nothing. I was also wondering if it would be possible fro me to add air suspension to the front. My motivation would be to use an on-board compressor/controller to level the vehicle (within reason, of course - perhaps a couple inches up or down on each wheel). Would love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks in advance!
Pete
spider is online now  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:19:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I just installed the Air Lift 5000 ultimate bags with the 72000 wireless control. Works fantastic and did wonders for the ride and handling of my 2016 T250. I've got it wired to the house batteries with the compressor inside because I launch my boat with the van and didn't want to risk dunking the compressor. It's water resistant but not water proof.

2016 T250, MR, LWB, 3.5L EB, 3.73 LS, Sync, Tow Package.
sschefer is online now  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:40:PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Installed the ultimate 5000 bags a few weeks ago. I can't recommend them enough for someone that is hauling a constant load. I went without the compressor. I'm really happy I went the route that I did.

Even found no drill routing for my Schaeder vavles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (152.6 KB, 40 views)
transitplumber is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:41:PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
No drill valves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.5 KB, 39 views)
transitplumber is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:49:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Coastal Ga
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Do the bags replace anything? Or, is that just empty space where they now sit?

Do they lift the load off the leaf springs?

I'd like a set set to dampen the hard tire bumps.

Like driving a 78 coupe Deville.
joefromga is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:01:PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromga View Post
Do the bags replace anything? Or, is that just empty space where they now sit?

Do they lift the load off the leaf springs?

I'd like a set set to dampen the hard tire bumps.

Like driving a 78 coupe Deville.
If you look under your van , they replace the stock jounce bumper. (Michilin man looking yellow thing)
transitplumber is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Lift and Leveling camp&ride Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 118 12-21-2016 02:27:PM
2017 Model Questions RE: Air Filter Design, In Cabin Air Filter, Ionic Running Boards thegreatgumbino Ford Transit General Discussion 5 10-20-2016 11:30:AM
Full air suspension hammerdown Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 14 08-28-2016 05:42:PM
LLumar Air 80 ilovehotshot Ford Transit General Discussion 17 07-01-2016 10:05:PM
Transit suspension lift Bajatransit Ford Transit General Discussion 5 02-25-2016 12:41:PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off