Sprinter 4x4 Driven - Ford Transit USA Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:58:PM Thread Starter
Del
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sprinter 4x4 Driven

First drive in the new 'off road' model

Quote:
A push of a button switches the van from a two-wheel-drive hauler into a four-wheel-drive off-roader that just happens to carry a massive volume of stuff. On Sprinters so equipped, a second button press activates low range. In either 4x4 mode, 35 percent of torque is routed to the front axle while the other 65 percent powers the rear. Unlike Mercedes-Benzís 4MATIC all-wheel drive, the torque split isnít variable, so itís best to leave the Sprinter in two-wheel-drive mode on dry pavement unless you enjoy the sounds of binding driveline components.
2015 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4 First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver
Del is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:40:PM
ted
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Awesome thanks for posting this.
car and driver is probably one of the best sites for reviews like this.
ted is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:02:AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
In either 4x4 mode, 35 percent of torque is routed to the front axle while the other 65 percent powers the rear. Unlike Mercedes-Benzís 4MATIC all-wheel drive, the torque split isnít variable, so itís best to leave the Sprinter in two-wheel-drive mode on dry pavement unless you enjoy the sounds of binding driveline components.
That makes no sense. You can't have a torque split without a center differential.

From
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4: engageable all wheel drive for professional commercial-vehicle users | Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Vans > Viano

Quote:
In contrast to other systems of this type, the engageable all-wheel drive in the Sprinter does not result in a rigid through-drive. Power is transmitted variably; all elements of the standard-equipment ADAPTIVE ESP, including ASR acceleration skid control, remain operational while the all-wheel drive is engaged.
Sounds like the exact system as my ML with the exception of the rear wheel drive only mode. I can drive that on dry pavement in low range without binding.

Not surprising that 4x4 is limited to the V6. It probably has more to do with the transmission already being available with a transfer case.
carnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:24:PM
Senior Member
 
hammerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I checked one out at my local Mercedes Evil Lair (MEL). Seems the front diff is below the oil pan, and the transverse leaf set up is ditched for independent suspension. Should help with the rocking experienced with the transverse arrangement. The bad news is, that the increased ride height can't really be adjusted, which is going to cost MPG. It's already riding high in the front when the van is empty. Imagine a 170" wheelbase with 2500lbs of tools and materials in the back. Aerodynamic fail. IMO, setting this van up like an old school 4x4, rather than using the 4matic system that is seen the rest of the MB line up was a mistake. The 7-speed is the only transmission available in vehicles such as the ML320 blutech, and it's variants, and it handles 400lb/ft of torque just fine. I don't see why MB didn't put it in the Sprinter with 4matic.
hammerdown is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:34:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
I checked one out at my local Mercedes Evil Lair (MEL). Seems the front diff is below the oil pan, and the transverse leaf set up is ditched for independent suspension. Should help with the rocking experienced with the transverse arrangement. The bad news is, that the increased ride height can't really be adjusted, which is going to cost MPG. It's already riding high in the front when the van is empty. Imagine a 170" wheelbase with 2500lbs of tools and materials in the back. Aerodynamic fail. IMO, setting this van up like an old school 4x4, rather than using the 4matic system that is seen the rest of the MB line up was a mistake. The 7-speed is the only transmission available in vehicles such as the ML320 blutech, and it's variants, and it handles 400lb/ft of torque just fine. I don't see why MB didn't put it in the Sprinter with 4matic.
Just reported on Sprinter site that the 4x4 option has been removed from the Mercedes web site. Makes one wonder why. I also wonder why the 7-speed was not offered with the V-6. My guess is at least half of the I4 increased mpg was due to the new transmission. The old NAG1 5-speed was a very sad iteration of a automatic transmission..
orton is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:41:PM
Senior Member
 
hammerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orton View Post
Just reported on Sprinter site that the 4x4 option has been removed from the Mercedes web site. Makes one wonder why. I also wonder why the 7-speed was not offered with the V-6. My guess is at least half of the I4 increased mpg was due to the new transmission. The old NAG1 5-speed was a very sad iteration of a automatic transmission..
Weird. The two 4x4's sitting in front of my local MEL are gone too... I just assumed they sold them, but now that you mention that the option isn't on the MB website, maybe they inadvertently installed the exploding front diffs, instead of the ones that fail 2 weeks out of warranty. Fritz, or Klaus, or Helmut or all of them are gonna have **** to pay!
hammerdown is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:09:PM
Member
 
rbisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
On this Canadian site it shows the 4x4 Sprinter to have a 7 speed transmission when comparing it to other vans. May be a mistake.
The 2015 Sprinter Van. Built to Work Smarter.
rbisch is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:30:PM
Senior Member
 
hammerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
That's a mistake. They all had 319 cdi badges on them which is the v6. Sprinter website is just like the actual vans: complex and prone to failure.
bobojay and captgw2 like this.
hammerdown is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:57:AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orton View Post
Just reported on Sprinter site that the 4x4 option has been removed from the Mercedes web site. Makes one wonder why. I also wonder why the 7-speed was not offered with the V-6. My guess is at least half of the I4 increased mpg was due to the new transmission. The old NAG1 5-speed was a very sad iteration of a automatic transmission..
How does the Transit 4WD compare?
rabbitdiesel1 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:04:AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitdiesel1 View Post
How does the Transit 4WD compare?
Apparently both the Sprinter and Transit 4x4's are not currently available.
orton is online now  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quigley 4x4 USMC Vet Off Topic 183 11-21-2016 11:59:PM
Sprinter 4X4 now available in Canada DearbornDude Off Topic 6 10-25-2014 10:14:AM
hmmm... 4x4 Sprinter? kingkabong Ford Transit General Discussion 5 07-02-2014 10:16:PM
VAn sales Driven by Small Business Del Ford Transit Connect General Discussion 1 03-02-2014 02:31:PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome