Last week I bit the bullet. IFo a few weeks I had already my eye on three 2016 vans at FamVans.com in orange ct. They have also a few 2025 of the size and type I like. With a quote for a new 2017, the Edmunds MVP and a craigslisting of a similar but extended van in San Mateo I negotiated a slightly better deal at FamVans for my preferred van with 20k miles with Margarito at FamVans. The discount would be needed to get us to LA. I also prearranged a mechanic for Friday 12/23. My son and I met Margarito Gamez at FamVans who was very helpful and gave us the keys for all the vans we wanted to see. We test drove the 20k miles van and my son a mechanic himself heard a whizz in the back. Next we test drove a van with 26k mi and heard no such sound but the interior was rougher. A 14k mi van looked also good but was to expensive IMO. Margarito was very accommodating and allowed us to have the nicer 20k mi van inspected at Enjoying Mechanics http://enjoyingmechanics.com/
They looked it over for an hour, all was ok except the sound. They advised against driving it back north. This was possibly a diff issue. All these vans have still some body (36k mi / 3yr) or power train (60k mi / 5 yr) warranty so Margarito was willing to have it fixed at the local Ford. Now we had to decide: have it fixed and go back home? We asked Dennis at Enjoying Mechanics if they could check a second van, the 26k mi van and Margarito gave us $500 more if we decided to buy it. This van checked out great. I have nothing but good stuff to say about Dennis. He squeezed the second van in on an afternoon when many businesses are hitting the eggnog. Also FamVans and in particular Margarito Gamez was very helpful. They do not negotiate much on their prices, but he let us decide with no pressure and gave any van to check or drive.
That evening we drove 430mi north through some of the heaviest rain in soCal this year. No leaks, good tires, no issues so far. But boy does that rain make a lot of noise. That rain promises maybe some great desert flowers in a few months. I have to hurry with the conversion.
We saved some good cash by not buying new, and still having factory coverage for any surprises. I will keep also a few thousand in reserve as a contingency and for some extra equipment. In case you missed the earlier posts: T250 High roof, 148" WB, base equipment.
Happy holidays everyone!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk