Enterprise Rentals, Transit and Promaster - Page 3 - Ford Transit USA Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 01:03:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Care to elaborate why you bash them? I'm honestly interested in your opinion, particularly since you haven't driven one.

I'm going to look at renting one myself, although I expect our evaluations based on extended test drive may differ considerably. As objective as we may both be, it's hard to overcome preconceptions. Basically if you think it's sh-t that's what you'll likely find. And the opposite is also true.
AND I, value your opinion because you are one of the people who question things based on logic, I do some of this "stuff" to really get people thinking.

I do like some things about the promaster, #1 interior roon (height)

I view Van's from a "Form follows function" standpoint and like the square box looks of it

They need to set up on the "quality" of the build, oil canned sheet metal on 0 mile vehicles, the leaking clearance lights are because of a very poor gasket design, pay 30-40 grand and your dome light fills up with water, dealers remove them and put silicon around them? who going to fix the headliner? after the water damage affects it in a few years. It stuff like that, It can be fixed properly, not with silicon

I do want to drive them (pro-master), but still want a Transit

From a rental standpoint, I would be pleased with either one, but to pay for it I want the Ford
PeterR likes this.
VanMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:58:PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that Leesburg?
Airedrifter likes this.
navistar is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:10:PM
Senior Member
 
hammerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
I don't know if you guys drove a Promaster yet, but I have... actually about this time last year. The gasser minivan powertrain. And like VanMan predicted, it's $hit! I have not driven the diesel. But I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow. One of the local dealers has one in stock. And it has the word "DIESEL" vinyled on the side. So I'm confident it is a diesel.

One local dealer told me if I wanted to test the diesel drivetrain, I could take a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for a spin. When I told him that was a completely different engine and transmission than the Promaster diesel powertrain... his head exploded. He just mumbled, that they were both 3.0l diesels, and how he couldn't see them being different.

But, the minivan powered one is garbage. The one I drove was a low roof 2500 short wheelbase. At highway speeds, it fell on it's face. When you need to pass it instantly downshifted two times to get the revs up to stupid levels... no low end torque AT ALL. Transmission gearing is terrible. Front drive is not that big an issue, but I wouldn't want to tow with it. Build quality is dismal. Doors are flimsy, materials are cheap.

I could go on, but you get the picture. I'm going to drive the diesel just for fun.
hammerdown is offline  
 
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:06:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
I don't know if you guys drove a Promaster yet, but I have... actually about this time last year. The gasser minivan powertrain. And like VanMan predicted, it's $hit! I have not driven the diesel. But I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow. One of the local dealers has one in stock. And it has the word "DIESEL" vinyled on the side. So I'm confident it is a diesel.

One local dealer told me if I wanted to test the diesel drivetrain, I could take a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for a spin. When I told him that was a completely different engine and transmission than the Promaster diesel powertrain... his head exploded. He just mumbled, that they were both 3.0l diesels, and how he couldn't see them being different.

But, the minivan powered one is garbage. The one I drove was a low roof 2500 short wheelbase. At highway speeds, it fell on it's face. When you need to pass it instantly downshifted two times to get the revs up to stupid levels... no low end torque AT ALL. Transmission gearing is terrible. Front drive is not that big an issue, but I wouldn't want to tow with it. Build quality is dismal. Doors are flimsy, materials are cheap.

I could go on, but you get the picture. I'm going to drive the diesel just for fun.
I don't have to drive one to know that its a piece of fiat/chrysler garbage.

You also forgot to mention that it looks like **** too....

Arrived : 2015 T150 Cargo, 3.5EcoB, LoRoof, RWB, alloys
onetwo is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:54:PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Saw this one in Florida on Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (667.5 KB, 92 views)
Chance is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:06:PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have all the water issues been addressed with the Transit?

I may get one after my Promaster Lemon Law case is setteled, but don't want one unless all the issues are taken care of.
climbing coastie is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:24:PM
Senior Member
 
EddieZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbing coastie View Post
Have all the water issues been addressed with the Transit?

I may get one after my Promaster Lemon Law case is setteled, but don't want one unless all the issues are taken care of.
We're each dealing with the crappy airbox and windshield drain design. It's stupid, but, not a deal-breaker. Waiting for vehicles of your chosen type to be perfected is a recipe for not driving anything.

Transit 250 Cargo MR LWB 3.5L w/3.31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EddieZ is online now  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:15:AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Did they address the gas peddle getting stuck at full throttle on the promasters? I heard a few weeks ago they were going to put a stopper on the gas peddle so you can't "floor it".
cara3321 is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:53:PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara3321 View Post
Did they address the gas peddle getting stuck at full throttle on the promasters?
I haven't even heard of that being a problem. Can you reference a source?
GapRunr is online now  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:52:PM
Senior Member
 
Haulin' Gas Adventures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Enterprise Rentals, Transit and Promaster

I did drive the 2wd sprinter , 4wd sprinter , dodge pro master and was set on the sprinter then the Transits finally became available in Canada and I test drove it.

The Transit I drove had the 3.7 and I thought the power wasn't impressive but I knew on paper the 3.5 blew it out of the water and the transmission seemed spot on.

The big thing for me was the way the Transit drove compared to the others so I ordered one optioned the way I wanted it and about a month later the dealer called to tell me they found the exact van (almost) I ordered in stock 6 hours away and brought it to me.

I drove each with an open mind.
Haulin' Gas Adventures is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why the extra cost for Transit vs Promaster mojogoat Ford Transit Versus The Competition 55 02-07-2016 04:39:AM
Enterprise rent-a-car renting Transits VanMan Ford Transit General Discussion 20 09-01-2015 09:17:PM
Transit vs Promaster diesels mojogoat Ford Transit Versus The Competition 34 01-01-2015 06:40:PM
Promaster City vs Transit Connect Del Ford Transit Connect General Discussion 1 06-26-2014 06:01:PM
Hyundai's Ford Transit & ProMaster Fighter ted Ford Transit General Discussion 7 04-17-2014 02:40:PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off